News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
From what I have read they are able to take a Gondola from the normal run and park it so guests with Scooters etc can get on, then it is put back into the line.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there an ETA on when this project will be finished/ up and running?

Should be running by the time Star Wars Land is open.

Will have to be open when Riviera opens, which is 'Fall 2019'. Can't open much before that as Riviera will be an active construction zone. So late summer/fall 2019. Which will also be around the time SW:GE opens.

It could as early as April 2019. Desire is June/July. October is deadline.

Bender123

From what I have read they are able to take a Gondola from the normal run and park it so guests with Scooters etc can get on, then it is put back into the line.

As stated earlier, this will not be the solution used, but the cabs detatch from the cable at the load platform and move at a very slow pace for loading, before being launched back onto the main cable. For the vast majority of handicap users, it will be slow enough that they will have plenty of time to load.

ABQ

From bioreconstruct on Twitter, a fence is going in where the DHS gondola station will go.

View attachment 225404
Excuse my ignorance if it's already been discussed, but will security screening be moved out to the Friendship boat dock? Or perhaps back to the resorts? Just trying to envision the Studios screening process once the Skyliner is in as those passengers are already inside the secure area.

Movielover

I imagine the whole plaza area there will see some sort of rearranging of security and guest flow due to the gondolas, But I don't think anything's been revealed yet besides the already seen bus lanes and fences. I doubt the Friendship boats are going to become part of the screened area.

nickys

Premium Member
Excuse my ignorance if it's already been discussed, but will security screening be moved out to the Friendship boat dock? Or perhaps back to the resorts? Just trying to envision the Studios screening process once the Skyliner is in as those passengers are already inside the secure area.

Our insiders tell us security will be before you board the gondolas, i.e.: at the resorts, so when you disembark you will be within the secure zone. Not sure what will happen with the boats though.

ABQ

Our insiders tell us security will be before you board the gondolas, i.e.: at the resorts, so when you disembark you will be within the secure zone. Not sure what will happen with the boats though.
Yes, that part I knew, just looking at the boat dock at both Epcot and the Studios, I'm curious if they'll change anything. They don't dock very often, so I suppose it's no big deal to leave them outside the security bubble and just have a small screening area dedicated to them.

Grimley1968

I'm not basing what I say in anything known about the construction, but I'd bet that there will be separate security for the boats at DHS. It's a fairly narrow path and would be easy to have a small setup blocking that path with security screening.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes, that part I knew, just looking at the boat dock at both Epcot and the Studios, I'm curious if they'll change anything. They don't dock very often, so I suppose it's no big deal to leave them outside the security bubble and just have a small screening area dedicated to them.

Oops sorry, didn't read your post properly!

I think the MK model seems likely, security at the end of the dock when you get off at Epcot and DHS.

mmascari

I don't even understand how thats possible.

This system:
http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=808 is extremely similar to what Disney is getting. Runs 8 person gondolas as well as chairs. Doppelmayr designed. $7.2m for over a mile but including 1100 feet of incline which obviously Disney doesn't have to deal with building up mountains. Even if you doubled that (because everything Disney builds gets the prices jacked), you'd get $15m x 3 (3 mile system) for $45m for the whole system. I don't see any way this can possibly cost over $50m, unless they are wrapping some of the Riviera cost into it.

Oh, and this whole system went up in 6 months.

Don't look at just the literal Gondola parts, but include the rest of it. And, add in that they're doing all of it while keeping services mostly open and unaffected next to the active construction.

For instance:
  • Boat ramp at POP/AOA and parking lot changes.
  • Bus loop remodel at DHS. While still active, in multiple stages getting out of the way then to a final configuration later.
  • IG work to reconfigure plaza security and other impacts.

The work at CBR and Riviera are probably the easiest to compare to other things, since they're farther from active services.

It's the same reason that it's way more expensive to fix an active road than to simply shut it down for the duration of repairs. All those extra costs to divert traffic or limit work times, and keep active traffic possible.

A ski resort doesn't have any of these issues. They basically shutdown an entire area and give the gondola construction exclusive access to the area.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the ancillary stuff surrounding the system including the temporary moves and then final moves as stuff is reconfigured is a third or half of the total cost compared to the straight up gondola parts. In the budget numbers, all that stuff would be included in the project costs, since you wouldn't do it if you were not doing the entire project.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
upload_2017-8-26_19-23-26-png.225404

I think the largest expense for this project are these see-through construction fences. Very impressive!! I almost looks like there is nothing there!! ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Makes me wonder if Scooters or Handi-accessable guests want to take the skyway which then would have to either slow it down or completely stop it so they can get on/off.....

The gondolas do indeed slow down at a station for everyone. They move at a crawl. More than enough time for vehicles....

Gondola on wheels...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JoeCamel

Wheelchairs! Strollers! Children! Doppelmayr's Italian competitor recently completed this system in Berlin which showcases modern gondola design in a non-ski setting. Lots of similarities with what I envision the Skyliner system to look like.

Interesting that they would use an Italian company. What happened to German pride? price?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom