News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't see those to be for pulling cabins off. Look at the point of transition in the cover panels below the rail. Pure 90 deg with little clearance. No breaks in the main rail either.

Some way to introduce some other maintanence elements to the line? Dropping something small?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't see those to be for pulling cabins off. Look at the point of transition in the cover panels below the rail. Pure 90 deg with little clearance. No breaks in the main rail either.

Some way to introduce some other maintanence elements to the line? Dropping something small?

Yeah, it's not what I would have expected to see if it was a line for pulling off cars. There is a slot there with some sort of mechanism that lines up with the bar but to move a car out there they would probably have to stop the line and ship the car horizontally.

1537642208025.png

trainplane3

Yeah, it's not what I would have expected to see if it was a line for pulling off cars. There is a slot there with some sort of mechanism that lines up with the bar but to move a car out there they would probably have to stop the line and ship the car horizontally.

View attachment 315628
Long shot, but could it be for a small maintenance car of some type? When I was at Cedar Point last week I noticed one sitting on its own rail. I know they aren't the same system, but it could make sense.
(left side of the picture)
03Cedar%20Point%20Sky%20Ride%20front%20end%20day.jpg

Source: https://www.the-lake-effect.com/Cedar_Point_Kings_Island.html

On a side note, I found out that I really don't like these smaller gondola systems. I feel like the newer, larger, modern type will sit fine with me. The constant rocking and openness didn't sit well with me. Still can't wait for the Skyliner regardless!

flynnibus

Premium Member

View attachment 315628

It does have that red hardware... which we also see at other rail transitions... so I do imagine it will allow something to transition to the rail. But what...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

View attachment 315628
With that gap in the outer edge, looks like a beam for a rolling winch... maybe to lift cars up onto the rails in the station.

trainplane3

"Clearness" is a dictionary word! Also, five million Google hits.

There's also: clarity, transparency, and openness.
This ain't no gosh dang darn school. Stop teaching me words. I got a good edumacation. Yinz guys need to stop.

Actual excuse, I was stuck doing overnight validations for network stuff and then ran a 5k for the first time in nearly a year so I was pretty burnt out.:(

trainplane3

Never have I known a word that places ones location so succinctly.
:p
Other good ones are "crick, pop, raddiater, and worsh". My dads personal favorite is telling us to "get our tires bounced". Luckily I have a decent vocabulary unlike him, but every so often...one slips by and suddenly everyone knows where I'm from.

Back to gondolas. They're pretty cool. Right? Wait...I think I know what I just started...

GCTales

:p
Other good ones are "crick, pop, raddiater, and worsh". My dads personal favorite is telling us to "get our tires bounced". Luckily I have a decent vocabulary unlike him, but every so often...one slips by and suddenly everyone knows where I'm from.

Back to gondolas. They're pretty cool. Right? Wait...I think I know what I just started...

Yep... Oh, and WaWa is better than Sheetz!! 😄😄😄😄

Nubs70

From my experience with gondolas, FWIW, the gondolas in a Disney station will not be any closer than the gondolas in any ski resort station (due to the slow down, in the station they appear just like an omni-mover). Also, again just from my experience, you never need someone telling you which gondola to go in. The line moves so quick, that each party just gets into the gondola next in line after the one the party in front of them got in. Maybe Disney will do it differently, but if they did I do not think it will help that much with capacity (unless they are out to break records). These things move lines so quickly that I just imagine it would be a headache for a cast member to try to get counts and load them to capacity each time. It might actually backup the lines because the CM is still trying to do the math while an empty gondola goes by. I don't think Disney will be concerned that every seat is filled, moreover, people will be happier with this transportation if for nothing else, they will always be moving in line, and rather quickly too.
As long as they have a single rider line.

If gondola has capacity of 8:
Party of 5 gets topped off with 3 single riders...etc.

Goofyernmost

As long as they have a single rider line.

If gondola has capacity of 8:
Party of 5 gets topped off with 3 single riders...etc.
Just an opinion, but, I don't see that happening. With the speed that they continuously operate in, they won't have time to divide up numbers. It will be first come and next in line. If that is one and the group behind has 7 or less in the party they will be going on that one. If there is one and the next party is 8, the single will ride alone. It gives them fewer charred bodies to clean up from that individual gondola.:)

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Just an opinion, but, I don't see that happening. With the speed that they continuously operate in, they won't have time to divide up numbers. It will be first come and next in line. If that is one and the group behind has 7 or less in the party they will be going on that one. If there is one and the next party is 8 or more, the single will ride alone. It gives them fewer charred bodies to clean up from that individual gondola.:)
Well good news is magic bands will make identification easier for onsite guests.🙃

Nubs70

Just an opinion, but, I don't see that happening. With the speed that they continuously operate in, they won't have time to divide up numbers. It will be first come and next in line. If that is one and the group behind has 7 or less in the party they will be going on that one. If there is one and the next party is 8 or more, the single will ride alone. It gives them fewer charred bodies to clean up from that individual gondola.:)
If maximum capacity is required to meet demand, this is how it is done. This is standard practice for gondola loading. The gondola speed at loading is somewhat slower than the loading speed at Haunted Mansion.

Goofyernmost

If maximum capacity is required to meet demand, this is how it is done. This is standard practice for gondola loading. The gondola speed at loading is somewhat slower than the loading speed at Haunted Mansion.
Yes, but there is no moving sidewalk along side which lengthens the loading time and increases the need for coordination of the riders to get in them on time. Whatever, or however, they do it still remains to be seen. Most ski lift gondolas are utilized by physically able riders, that might not be the case at Disney much more often. We will see, what happens when it happens. I really don't see where there will be that much of a need that often. It would be much more counter productive to have to stop the movement then to just put fewer in each Gondola.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes, but there is no moving sidewalk along side which lengthens the loading time and increases the need for coordination of the riders to get in them on time. Whatever, or however, they do it still remains to be seen. Most ski lift gondolas are utilized by physically able riders, that might not be the case at Disney much more often. We will see, what happens when it happens. I really don't see where there will be that much of a need that often. It would be much more counter productive to have to stop the movement then to just put fewer in each Gondola.

Most people can walk faster than a moving sidewalk. It’s not hard. The group moves forward and as the gondola crawls along at 1mph, they step into the gondola.

Emirates Line in London has you loading on the curve. One guy at the top of the line, another at the bend. The group walks towards the 2nd guy who says “this one” as it comes in. They load whilst the next group approaches and gets directed to the following one. If anyone distracts the “CM” then the group left waiting does one of two things: uses their initiative and gets into one of the gondola cars or stands like lemons waiting to be told what to do. We just got into the one that the lemons watched go past!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom