New Executive Structure?

Pioneer Hall

I blame FSU for this entire mess....and Nick Saban......maybe even Les Miles.....but mostly FSU.

At the end of the day, I agree that this is the problem.

Still just a rumor, albeit one that is being passed around in very interesting places.

Haven't heard anything really new.
Nothing to be afraid of, really. Unlikely that a sale would do any harm, and in fact may be beneficial. If it ever were to happen.:lol:

Listen to this folks. It is still just a rumor and the only new information here has been a rumor on top of the rumor. Even if the rumor is thrown around the white house it is still just a rumor. No use getting yourselves sick or upset over it.

If a new buyer is in place they would most likely bring in their own people and thats only speculation that this chinese buyer is the OLC.

OLC is Japanese, not Chinese. We're talking two different worlds with those countries.

With that...Frankie says Relax.

CountryBearFan

I wish Steve, The Mom and the other Admins would head on over here soon to help calm this storm.

After all, they are not selling the parks and that's final!

Pioneer Hall

I wish Steve, The Mom and the other Admins would head on over here soon to help calm this storm.

After all, they are not selling the parks and that's final!

HI...I've been here all along if you didn't notice. There is nothing here though that is breaking any sort of forum rules. While there has been back and forth this conversation has stayed fairly calm compared to what most long threads turn into. We're watching for rule violations, but until that happens everyone is free to discuss this whether it is fact or not. The board is news and rumors, and this surely qualifies for the latter.

aka_emilicious

These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this to our citizenry: We, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry remains, strong.

Wrong resort, but that was hilarious. Forum high five! :sohappy:

This sounds like the work of the dark side... :eek:

I have a bad feeling about this...:lookaroun

Captain Neo

Yes, link to that, please.

I haven't seen that from him either.
There is a rumor floating out of Flower St. that a sale has been made or is in the works to happen in the near future, but I haven't heard that from leemac. A Chinese buyer, by the way.:lookaroun

EDIT: I'm pretty sure leemac didn't say that.

Sorry it was Spirit who is quoting his sources:

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-120492-P-49.asp

I did see something from Leemac though I will try to find it

Captain Neo

I am getting very scared. It's had to believe that Disney would get rid of the parks. I feel sick over this. It just doesn't feel right. I hope it doesn't happen. Has anyone heard anything else?

Either way Meg Crofton is the draconian ruler of the Disney parks now under Tom Staggs. It would be actually beneficial if the parks are sold at this point because at least then thers a chance she would get replaced with someone better. We are back to the Pressler days of poor maintenance, less entertainment, and under funded attractions

El Grupo

Still betting that Disney would do an equity carve-out with the parks before an outright sale. As I understand, it would allow the creation of a daughter company and open the door for an infusion of cash into the subsidiary without giving up controlling interest.

lazyboy97o

Still betting that Disney would do an equity carve-out with the parks before an outright sale. As I understand, it would allow the creation of a daughter company and open the door for an infusion of cash into the subsidiary without giving up controlling interest.
I believe Walt Disney Parks & Resorts is it's own corporation that is wholly owned by The Walt Disney Company, so privately or publicly selling an interest should not be too difficult. I too would expect such a route as it would more easily allow Disney to retain control and some ownership but separation. I think an IPO is most likely if it does happen.

Lee

Adventurer
Rumors continue to find me...

Re: Sale - Still hearing Chinese. All or part. These rumors are coming from the west coast, and from places where they are either true (to some degree) or being planted at a fairly high level.

Re: Executive Switcheroo - Lots of surprise and unease in the big green building out back of Disneyland. They didn't see Meg coming.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I am not an expert on much of anything....but to me it does not make sense that Tom Staggs would bother with an Executive Shuffle just to sell off the parks...

Unless a new owner would leave leadership in place...

:shrug:

I'm not one who believes a park sale is going to happen, but shuffling of management is not evidence to either support or refute a sale. Heck, if you want to be a skeptic or an alarmist -- as if we have any of those around here :lookaroun -- you could say that putting one person in charge of park ops, and another person in charge of DVC and DCL would facilitate a sale of one of the groups or the other -- splitting parks from DVC/DCL. I doubt that's what's happening, but it's as plausible a message from the executive shuffling as any other.

If it were to happen, would it be like the way Tokyo has Oriental Land Co, Yet with Disney still having its hand in it?

That'd be my take. If Disney does sell the parks, they'll still retain a whole lot of creative input, if not control. The licensing agreements would tie down the new owners to a significant extent, because Disney would not let somebody else market its characters and intellectual property without a whole lot of control or at least veto power. It COULD be done in a way that would make little difference to the look, feel and operations of the park. Heck, if you want to be an optimist -- we really don't have many of those around here -- you could say that if Disney does a park sale correctly, the biggest impact will be an injection of capital from the new owner/partner that will allow a slew of improvements to be made.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I believe Walt Disney Parks & Resorts is it's own corporation that is wholly owned by The Walt Disney Company, so privately or publicly selling an interest should not be too difficult. I too would expect such a route as it would more easily allow Disney to retain control and some ownership but separation. I think an IPO is most likely if it does happen.

I haven't looked at the investment analysis on Disney, so I don't know whether Disney is in this situation. But the IPO route or selling a non-controlling interest a subsidiary is most often done by public companies if they believe that a particular business is not compatible to investors with its other operations, and therefore isn't being given a high enough value in the market, but they still want to retain control of that other business.

If we say, for example, that Disney is viewed primarily as a media company, one could make the argument that those who are interested in investing in media companies might not be too enthused about parks and resorts, and therefore, while they assign a high multiple to media operations (because that's what they think is a good investment), they would assign a lower multiple to parks and resorts.

On the other hand, parks and resorts investors don't see Disney as a good investment because so much is tied up in media. By offering stock of the parks and resorts subsidiary (which, if it doesn't already exist, could be created without much difficulty), Disney would 1) give parks and resorts investors something to invest in, and 2) provide a measurement for the media investors of just how much the parks and resorts business that they also have a stake in is worth, potentially increasing the value of TWDC as a whole.

Done that way, the sale of a noncontrolling interest in parks and resorts would simply represent a different way to finance the P&R business. Lots of companies did this with their internet stuff back 10-12 year ago -- remember go.com?

If you want to be a conspiracy theorist -- we don't really see much of that around here, do we? :lookaroun -- you could say that making Tom Staggs, a Wall Street finance guy from way back, head of P&R, is the perfect way to sell such a deal to money managers.

JustInTime

Rumors continue to find me...

Re: Sale - Still hearing Chinese. All or part. These rumors are coming from the west coast, and from places where they are either true (to some degree) or being planted at a fairly high level.

Re: Executive Switcheroo - Lots of surprise and unease in the big green building out back of Disneyland. They didn't see Meg coming.

Ohhh lordy. This is all too reminiscent of what was happening behind the scenes of T-Mobile before the At&t buy-out went public. Very, very scary. I understand the good/bad aspects of both situations. But I have a over-all bad feeling about this.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Then why go to the trouble of deleting it? Why not just make me look stupid and leave it up? I mean there are thousands of comments but mine gets deleted. There is more creditability to this rumor than we think.

Clueless individuals who are planning their vacations go by their Facebook site religiously. Submissions on there would manifest an uproar and cause some individuals to possibly terminate their planning process. I comprehend fully why it would be relegated rather promptly. What good does it summon?

Pioneer Hall

Then why go to the trouble of deleting it? Why not just make me look stupid and leave it up? I mean there are thousands of comments but mine gets deleted. There is more creditability to this rumor than we think.

Or perhaps just like the rumor has found legs with no real grounding here, they don't want something like that to happen on a much larger scale. It's likely that the majority of people who follow Disney World on facebook/twitter are not big fans like us. They could see that and start spreading around that is nothing, and then damage control could cost Disney even more. All of this information can be seen one way or another, not just the doom and gloom scenario.

SleepingMonk

who is this rumored chinese buyer? any leads?

Kim-Jong-Il-in-Team-Ameri-001.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom