New EPCOT entrance system finally open!

hpyhnt 1000

Is that an RFID system I see? And no turnstile? Most interesting...

EDIT: Judging from the bushes, this looks to be another temporary system test rather than a permanent addition.

weretiger155

Original Poster
Apparently. The tickets that have the chip have a mickey logo with waves on top. But from I understand they can also put a sticker on your ticket and register it if yours doesn't have the chip.
AeJLpUhCIAA_pD0.jpg

I think this should speed up walk through times.

Testtrack321

I'm interested in knowing what sort of security systems they have in place for this. What would prevent an off site place to collect the signal from cards and steal it? Sure you have to get really close, but it's still possible.

Monorail Lime

I'm interested in knowing what sort of security systems they have in place for this. What would prevent an off site place to collect the signal from cards and steal it? Sure you have to get really close, but it's still possible.
Like traditional tickets, RFID enabled tickets are linked to biometric information in the form of guest fingerprints. While it may be possible to read a RFID signal key with the proper equipment, a card duplicated in this manner could not not be used for park entry without the finger that goes with it. The risk is therefore about the same as having a traditional pass stolen.

amejr999

There's a video at

http://yfrog.com/13hxvz

(and many more pics at a site that seems to be blocked).

I'm curious how this will work for times when there are problems. I don't see any kind of displays/override buttons or anything like that for CMs to use for a broken ticket and whatnot.

Testtrack321

Agreed, but perhaps Disney wants a consistent look for all of the RFID readers at WDW when additional features are rolled out in the future.

The design is simple/iconic enough that you can make iterations to the same design style for each of the parks yet still maintain the same shape and look. Stainless steel for Epcot, wrought iron for MK, etc.

amejr999

How long is the payback on the $1.5B when they rif all the CMs they've automated out of a job?

If anything, this will require more CMs. Seems like for each bank of 4 sensors, they have 2 CMs behind the sensors, 1 CM at the exit (with some kind of handheld device), and 1 CM to direct people to a sensor. Plus there are tons of extra CMs now to pass out the stickers and watch how things are going.

Testtrack321

Agreed, but perhaps Disney wants a consistent look for all of the RFID readers at WDW when additional features are rolled out in the future.

The design is simple/iconic enough that you can make iterations to the same design style for each of the parks yet still maintain the same shape and look. Stainless steel for Epcot, wrought iron for MK, etc.

Testtrack321

If anything, this will require more CMs. Seems like for each bank of 4 sensors, they have 2 CMs behind the sensors, 1 CM at the exit (with some kind of handheld device), and 1 CM to direct people to a sensor. Plus there are tons of extra CMs now to pass out the stickers and watch how things are going.

Seems like there's a glut of CMs right now since they're just starting the system up (like how there used to be like 20 CMs to run FastPass at AK). I think this will use the same about of CMs as they currently use, just get the guests in faster and easier.

Slugger

I do know they have pulled a lot of attraction CMs over to Epcot this week to help out with the testing. About 5 got pulled from my area in Fantasyland alone.

This look is very unique and I like it. Definitely will be heading over to Epcot soon to see it in person!

Jdlay

RFID does not have to contain personal data. I don't have personal information on how these work, but do understand RFID in general.. So i suspect all Disney has done is place the ticket identifier on the chip. The turnstile would communicate back to the ticketing system to validate the ticket along with the biometric scan (captured). If someone read the ticket, all they would get is your ticket identifier and nothing about you.

Also if they cloned your ticket id, it would not match your biometric data stored in the ticketing system this along with other security measures I'm sure are in place to ensure tickets can not be cloned and stolen.

I'm sure this trial period is to ensure the technogy works as well as to judge guest reception. In my mind, RFID a RFID ticket is more secure than the paper or plastic mag strip based system in use today. Plus it opens the door to some cool interactive uses in the parks.

John.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom