New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Aries1975

Well they need a business to open there that could succeed. We can have thematic purity with a location selling bread or Salt Water Taffy, but profitability is a different animal. The boardwalk area sure could use more dining options that are walkable from S&D.

Whether this will be successful or not I have no idea. I'd give their sandwiches a shot whenever they open even though the them is not my cup of tea.

As for NJ Diners, unfortunately, they almost universally don't stay open late anymore. I came out of a concert last weekend, driving down Rt. 9 and nothing was open. Checked Google Maps for nearby diners, and the closest 10 were all closed. I don't know if that shift happened during Covid or before, but it sucks.
At the beginning of Covid, NJ’s executive order mandated everything be closed by 8pm. Many locations which were customarily 24 hours (diners, IHOP, White Castle, Dunkin’) did not resume 24 hour operations after. Some of the shopping malls which were traditionally open until 9:30 before Covid are still closing at 8pm.

Bocabear

Sadly, it is like that everywhere... fewer hours after the Covid shutdown.
but that does not negate the need for some late night dining and food choices at the resorts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At the beginning of Covid, NJ’s executive order mandated everything be closed by 8pm. Many locations which were customarily 24 hours (diners, IHOP, White Castle, Dunkin’) did not resume 24 hour operations after. Some of the shopping malls which were traditionally open until 9:30 before Covid are still closing at 8pm.
That's probably because labor is still hard to find and labor is not as cheap as it used to be. In many cases, entry no-skill labor costs more than twice it did four years ago.

I witnessed recently, getting my vaccines, a CVS pharmacy department getting a growing crowd of angry customers waiting close to an hour for their prescription to be filled and to get their shots. Only one certified pharmacist was on duty who could give the final OK to a prescription order, and be the only one who can administer the vaccine. As the customers were complaining, the staff kept saying they just can't find people to staff the pharmacy and they're exhausted working double shifts every day.

ToTBellHop

That's probably because labor is still hard to find and labor is not as cheap as it used to be. In many cases, entry no-skill labor costs more than twice it did four years ago.

I witnessed recently, getting my vaccines, a CVS pharmacy department getting a growing crowd of angry customers waiting close to an hour for their prescription to be filled and to get their shots. Only one certified pharmacist was on duty who could give the final OK to a prescription order, and be the only one who can administer the vaccine. As the customers were complaining, the staff kept saying they just can't find people to staff the pharmacy and they're exhausted working double shifts every day.
That’s CVS everywhere. And one of our pharmacists got fed up and quit on Sunday…oof

LSLS

Sadly, it is like that everywhere... fewer hours after the Covid shutdown.
but that does not negate the need for some late night dining and food choices at the resorts.
I tend to agree, but I actually think the Boardwalk is not the ideal place for it unless the plan is to keep the gondolas going longer (which would make sense if they want to really get the boardwalk going). If you go to Epcot, you have no way to get back to your car/bus to your hotel, which would really limit the appeal to people at one of the 4 resorts there. I honestly think that's been a big disservice to the area as a whole (lack of ability to get down there).

But, I'm not sold diner is the best option either. I have a feeling people will be looking for food and drinks. I still think a sports bar makes a ton of sense there (if it has good food and service). But, as someone who's been to a Jersey boardwalk like twice, the thing I remember most are the pizza places. Now, with Epcot there, and an Italian place next door, it probably doesn't make a ton of sense, but a late night pizzeria would scream boardwalk to me.

Bocabear

4 resorts is a pretty big audience.... and while the Gondolas are running you have another three huge resorts worth of people....
I grew up at the Jersey Shore not far from Atlantic City...So I know the area. Well the Pizza window is ridiculously inefficient, and I don't know about you, but getting out of the parks after walking all day, I want to sit down, chat with my family and friends and be served... but casually without a blaring TV and sports or blasting music... Something like a diner... Casual food without having to leave the resort area. I know I am not alone in this because I have seen people wandering around looking for food at 11pm, annoyed that they have to go to another hotel or order terrible pizza from one of the local delivery places. Seems like every resort cluster should have one late night dining spot... Magic Kingdome Resorts, Epcot Resorts, etc.
At the Disneyland Hotel they used to have the Skyliner Diner...a 50s themed diner that had expanded dining hours and was great for a little something before or after the parks...

UNCgolf

Let's not forget they used to have a 50s themed diner (well, to an extent) near the Boardwalk -- Beaches and Cream.

It certainly didn't offer anything close to a full diner style menu, though.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Let's not forget they used to have a 50s themed diner (well, to an extent) near the Boardwalk -- Beaches and Cream.
well...more of an ice cream place....and not really 50s themed but Seaside Ice Cream Parlor...and it is still there, and it is not open for late night dining....and it is small....
though larger now.

UNCgolf

well...more of an ice cream place....and not really 50s themed but Seaside Ice Cream Parlor...and it is still there, and it is not open for late night dining....and it is small....
though larger now.

Beaches and Cream is still there, but it's no longer vaguely 50s themed. The theming was never even close to great, but the original location was definitely more interesting than the current.

Last edited:

Ayla

The pharmacist problem is a whole 'nother issue.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
4 resorts is a pretty big audience.... and while the Gondolas are running you have another three huge resorts worth of people....
I grew up at the Jersey Shore not far from Atlantic City...So I know the area. Well the Pizza window is ridiculously inefficient, and I don't know about you, but getting out of the parks after walking all day, I want to sit down, chat with my family and friends and be served... but casually without a blaring TV and sports or blasting music... Something like a diner... Casual food without having to leave the resort area. I know I am not alone in this because I have seen people wandering around looking for food at 11pm, annoyed that they have to go to another hotel or order terrible pizza from one of the local delivery places. Seems like every resort cluster should have one late night dining spot... Magic Kingdome Resorts, Epcot Resorts, etc.
At the Disneyland Hotel they used to have the Skyliner Diner...a 50s themed diner that had expanded dining hours and was great for a little something before or after the parks...

An issue is that the BoardWalk is not a resort-wide destination anymore. Disney doesn't advertise it as a place to go anymore.

People going to the BoardWalk wind up mildly unenthusiastic about it since it doesn't have all the entertainment that you would expect at a seaside boardwalk. It only has a smidgen of the games and entertainment of an Atlantic City, Wildwood, Seaside Heights, or Pt. Pleasant.

The BoardWalk is, in essence, all the amenities you'd find at a deluxe resort, but just lined up as outdoor arcade. And it's sized to meet the needs of those staying at the BWI. The dance hall is the only true destination venue left that is advertised and only for very specific parties. Otherwise, it's dead.

Sure, people may want to go to Flying Fish for the cuisine or Trattatoria for the breakfast M&G (if that ever comes back). But the same can be said of any other deluxe's restaurants.

Bringing this back on topic... the bakery is not going to be a draw from the local resorts nor from the park-goers at DHS or EPCOT. Only some occasional random tourist is going to drop by and check things out and wind up unlikely to ever come back.

Bocabear

The bakery at the boardwalk is a real disappointment...but the Cake Bake Shop will be a fancy restaurant and bakery... like a very fancy tea room with more food... according to what they do elsewhere.
I wonder if they will shut down the Boardwalk Bakery when that opens?

UNCgolf

The BoardWalk is, in essence, all the amenities you'd find at a deluxe resort, but just lined up as outdoor arcade. And it's sized to meet the needs of those staying at the BWI. The dance hall is the only true destination venue left that is advertised and only for very specific parties. Otherwise, it's dead.

I think Jellyrolls is the main exception, not the dance hall -- it gets pretty busy (at least some of the time) and there's not anything like it at the other resorts. Yeeha Bob is probably the closest but his show isn't really the same thing.

I'm sure it would attract a much larger crowd at Disney Springs, though.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think Jellyrolls is the main exception, not the dance hall -- it gets pretty busy (at least some of the time) and there's not really anything like it at the other resorts. Yeeha Bob is probably the closest but his show isn't really the same thing.

I'm sure it would attract a much larger crowd at Disney Springs, though.
Swan & Dolphin has a Karaoke bar.

Typical deluxe level amenity.

disneyC97

Boardwalk has Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar), boardwalk games, nightly street entertainment (jugglers, acrobats, magicians). If you make Atlantic Dance hall Comedy Warehouse you’d really have something!!!
I was there the last two weeks of July…no entertainers and two shuttered food stands…not sure if games were operating either. That plus the Cake Shop construction…overall worse experience than prior visits.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
A Karaoke bar and Jellyrolls really aren't very similar at all, though. And no other WDW deluxe has anything like it.
Of course they're not similar.

But they are both a type of special amenity a deluxe provides.

Neither is a faux Savannah with African animals similar to a dueling piano bar. But it is a special amenity you can only find at a deluxe.

You won't find live music venues or a zoo at Pop Century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom