New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

pdude81

I can't find a specific thread for the Villas refurb that seems like it should be starting now and going through Springtime. It seems like it took a solid year to do the hotel side, so I'm not sure if I should trust that most of this will be done within 6 months.

Currently my family was planning a few days in a 1BR at BWV in early April. Does anyone know if they'll have done a lot of this by that time? It's supposed to be a full refurb so I'm worried that this will drag on and I'll be stuck with an dated room and no Cake Bake Shop.

Bocabear

Has anything been happening at the gutted Cake Bake Shop location? I have not seen any pictures in a few weeks... Last shots, it was still open framework....

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
Has anything been happening at the gutted Cake Bake Shop location? I have not seen any pictures in a few weeks... Last shots, it was still open framework....
IMG_6571.jpeg

Her majesty. Note that the blue walls do not extend all the way around the top, just those visible here

TDLFan

The case of antiques just off the Belle Vue lounge has been replaced by this...(attaching a pic of what was there previously)
20230924_203805.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_212849_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_212849_YouTube.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 111

UNCgolf

They just keep making the Belle Vue area worse.

I have no idea why they seem determined to ruin what was once maybe the best little resort spot at WDW. We always went up there while at the Boardwalk but it doesn't seem like it's worth the time now.

Admittedly that's because of the other larger changes, but this is just another small (and seemingly pointless) hit to the area.

James Alucobond

They just keep making the Belle Vue area worse.

I have no idea why they seem determined to ruin what was once maybe the best little resort spot at WDW. We always went up there while at the Boardwalk but it doesn't seem like it's worth the time now.

Admittedly that's because of the other larger changes, but this is just another small (and seemingly pointless) hit to the area.
I mean, furnishings will change over time. I agree that some of the changes in the area aren't for the better, but this one just seems like swapping a hutch for a sideboard, both of which have a pretty similar level of character, the ability of the hutch to hold more stuff notwithstanding (though nothing in it was particularly special either). I wouldn't exactly call it pointless to keep the furnishings fresh; they just need to make sure they're keeping to the theming of the resort.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
The case of antiques just off the Belle Vue lounge has been replaced by this...(attaching a pic of what was there previously)
View attachment 744787
It's not horrible, but the new furniture, lamps, mirror and decorations look very generic, like something you see in most hotel lobbys these days.

Imo, the case with antiques that was there before, had charm, this new thing, does not.

Bocabear

Not only does it not have any charm, it is something you can buy in any furniture store USA and adds nothing to the thematic storyline of the hotel...actually detracts from it... I give this a big solid "Boo!" The Belle Vue Lounge has always been a lovely spot and they keep trying to ruin it and make it look generic...

James Alucobond

Not only does it not have any charm, it is something you can buy in any furniture store USA and adds nothing to the thematic storyline of the hotel...actually detracts from it... I give this a big solid "Boo!" The Belle Vue Lounge has always been a lovely spot and they keep trying to ruin it and make it look generic...
I’m pretty sure I could buy what was there previously at Havertys too. Whether or not it fits stylistically is a different story entirely, but it wasn’t a monumentally special piece or anything. I’m not sure the commercial availability of something is a metric that should be used for the most part.

Bocabear

I did not say that what was there was the best possible choice in the known world, but it felt more like the character of the space.... What is there now feels like a cheap Model home with HomeGoods lamps and accessories...
Too modern, pointless change except to be brighter and modern....which again moves us away from what makes this resort special and closer to "Any Marriott USA" theme.

UNCgolf

I mean, furnishings will change over time. I agree that some of the changes in the area aren't for the better, but this one just seems like swapping a hutch for a sideboard, both of which have a pretty similar level of character, the ability of the hutch to hold more stuff notwithstanding (though nothing in it was particularly special either). I wouldn't exactly call it pointless to keep the furnishings fresh; they just need to make sure they're keeping to the theming of the resort.

This is the whole problem, though.

It's no longer a stylistic fit, especially with what was inside the hutch. It now looks like something you'd wander by at any random hotel. The original piece wasn't something incredibly special, but it certainly fit better.

Regardless, I agree that this change is relatively minor (and why I said it's not the reason I think the Belle Vue Lounge has declined so precipitously), but it's still a downgrade for the theme.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
I am also genuinely curious WHY these changes keep happening? I know obviously the resort is being refurbished but this definitely does not strike me as an improvement in any way, more just a waste of money. Relatively small waste of money yeah, but with how WDI spends…

James Alucobond

I am also genuinely curious WHY these changes keep happening? I know obviously the resort is being refurbished but this definitely does not strike me as an improvement in any way, more just a waste of money. Relatively small waste of money yeah, but with how WDI spends…
Because furnishings in hotels take a lot of abuse and need to be refreshed semi-regularly?

Bocabear

This is a case study for "declining by degrees"...each little thing doesn't seem like much...until one day you walk in, and you are in the lobby of a Courtyard By Marriott instead of the classic Boardwalk Inn.... I think this is happening...
and the shocking thing is, the theme is the charm....Disney Difference.....
That is really why most people stay at a Disney resort...
yeah yeah, I know someone is going to say they would rather stay at a hotel that has no theme at all....
but I think the reason Disney resorts are so popular is because of the theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom