New DVC at Grand Floridian...

darthokeefe

Seeing as the bare minimum it will cost you as an initial investment is $18,000

I am a DVC MEMBER and I paid 4,000 for a 80 pt contract from Hilton Head (where i never plan to go BTW)...have already taken a cruise,,and spent 5 days in a studio at The Beach Club, and 5 days in a two Bedroomat Saratoga Springs.......After 3 years my initial investment is PAID OFF.......DVC is a great value if you do research and Buy Low from Resale......

_Scar

I am a DVC MEMBER and I paid 4,000 for a 80 pt contract from Hilton Head (where i never plan to go BTW)...have already taken a cruise,,and spent 5 days in a studio at The Beach Club, and 5 days in a two Bedroomat Saratoga Springs.......After 3 years my initial investment is PAID OFF.......DVC is a great value if you do research and Buy Low from Resale......

Really?

Everything I hear about DVC is that it's really not a great value. :lol:

redkoala245

GF doesn't need to be a DVC resort.
If GF is going to be a DVC resort then I have a feeling that soon all resorts will be a DVC resort…

Biff215

This rumor, if true, might shock me even more than the constant Poly DVC rumors. As the flagship resort, you wouldn't think Disney would want or need DVC there. Of course points-wise it would be even pricier than BLT, but I still don't get it. How many villas could you really build there without ruining the resort? Some feel BLT ruined CR, but at least they built a tower next to a tower. Separate buildings like GF has just doesn't lend itself to the kind of construction we have seen recently from DVC.

As a DVC member myself, I can vouch for the value it provides. Yes, the initial investment is steep, but that will work itself out in the 50 years I'll own at SSR. I choose to put that aside and look at the close to 2 weeks I'm getting in WDW each year for around $750 in dues (175 points). Two weeks at a similar deluxe, even with a code, would more than double that.

And for those who complain about new DVC resorts, remember that they are financed entirely by members in the long run. None of that money would ever see itself into a new attraction or cash resort. But the money DVC members spend while on vacation has that capability, it's just up to Disney on how they spend it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Seeing as the bare minimum it will cost you as an initial investment is $18,000.

Actually, the minimum investment they requested of us was going to be $2,400, which they were going to not only match, but also gave us matching points at our plan level. And once we pay it off in five years (or 10 if we wished), we will still have another 45 years worth of points to use for ourselves, our family, or even our friends.

And considering we don't have to use them at WDW or DL, but on the DCL, and at thousands of resorts throughout the U.S. and world, yeah the initial investment was well worth the price. Maybe not for all, but for us it was an easy decision.

dixiegirl

Sooooooo freakin tired of hearing about DVC, overpriced and waste of money. Why dont they build a non-DVC resort? They havent even filled the ones they have yet, why would they build another? Supply and Demand...

Wouldn't the millions they would spend on that be better used in lets say, oh i dont know... THE PARKS!

unbeliveable if true.

Well I am so freakin tired of hearing about free dining but what can you do??

And yes I am a DVC owner:)

wvdisneyfamily

For what it's worth, even in the situation you describe above, buying into the DVC makes financial sense in the long run. I've been doing a lot of research into whether DVC makes sense for me, so I made a spreadsheet for every property that projects costs (both DVC and non-DVC) over the next 40 years.

If you were to buy 300 points at BLT - enough to stay in a 1 bedroom lakeview once per year in the regular season - your total cost by 2028 would be around $60,154. By 2040, you would have spent close to $85,000. This takes into account estimated yearly maintenance cost increases based on available historical data.

If you were to stay at Bay Lake Tower on cash, once per year with a 40% PIN Code every year, by 2028 you would have spent around $62,148. Total spent by 2040 - over $132,000. This takes into account yearly price increases based on yearly rack rate increases over the past 10 years. This situation also includes earning interest (5% annually) on the money you didn't spend on the DVC. FWIW - your lodging costs in this scenario outrun the money saved/invested by 2026.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not at all saying DVC makes sense for you or anyone else. Just that in this situation (yearly stays in a lakeview 1 bedroom @ Bay Lake Tower) purchasing a DVC contract will cost you substantially less in the long run. Also, this calculation was based on a new contract purchase @ $110/point - the current promotion for 300 points. Basing this on a 300 point resale would move the break even point a few years earlier.

And again, this is only for the specific situation mentioned. The calculations change drastically if your normal vacationing habits are less frequent, or at less expensive resorts.

Can you share that spreadsheet? Thanks.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That thread is specifically about a DVC possibly going in across from Coronado. This is a completely separate rumor/project so I figured it could use it's own thread.

It actually just sounds like Screamscape throwing out another rumor to supplant their earlier one.....:shrug:

imagineer boy

Sooooooo freakin tired of hearing about DVC, overpriced and waste of money. Why dont they build a non-DVC resort? They havent even filled the ones they have yet, why would they build another? Supply and Demand...

Wouldn't the millions they would spend on that be better used in lets say, oh i dont know... THE PARKS!

unbeliveable if true.

Agreed 100%.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I guess everyone complaining about the possbility of a new DVC resort being built near CSR or GF is forgetting that they are breaking ground on a new 2,000-room resort near Pop? The one with over 1,100 family suites and nearly 900 themed rooms?

WDWSteamDreamer

I guess everyone complaining about the possbility of a new DVC resort being built near CSR or GF is forgetting that they are breaking ground on a new 2,000-room resort near Pop? The one with over 1,100 family suites and nearly 900 themed rooms?

I was beginning to think the same thing.

trr1

this one seems to be about the Grand Floridian
According to Screamscape:
"New DVC Resort - Rumor - (6/5/10) While I haven’t heard anything more about that rumored new DVC resort project across from the Coronado, other sources have confirmed that Disney is currently attempting to finalize plans to create a DVC add-on to the Grand Floridian. "

and this one below is about a dvc
across the street from Disney’s Coronado resort

There's already a pretty extensive thread on this:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=590317
so are they adding 2 new DVC?:shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
this one seems to be about the Grand Floridian

and this one below is about a dvc
across the street from Disney’s Coronado resort

so are they adding 2 new DVC?:shrug:

I have no idea. Like I said before, it seems Screamscape can't keep up with it's own rumors....

That being said, I could see an add-on DVC resort at the GF, ala the BLT at the Contemporary. Although I'm not certain of the land conditions around the GF for putting one into place....

aladdin2007

I have no idea. Like I said before, it seems Screamscape can't keep up with it's own rumors....

That being said, I could see an add-on DVC resort at the GF, ala the BLT at the Contemporary. Although I'm not certain of the land conditions around the GF for putting one into place....

It is beautiful land there around GF, I kinda hate to see another monster like the Contemporary DVC built in that area. I realize its all probably zoned for future expansion but sometimes its nice to leave the surroundings alone once in while.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It is beautiful land there around GF, I kinda hate to see another monster like the Contemporary DVC built in that area. I realize its all probably zoned for future expansion but sometimes its nice to leave the surroundings alone once in while.

I don't disagree at all; that's where we went on our honeymoon. I just don't know which route TDO would go if either of these rumors are true. It seems they already have a somewhat isolated DVC resort in SSR. Putting another one on the monorail line does make a good deal of sense.....

toolsnspools

Disney is taking their regular customers and turning them into temporary, partial owners. It's good economics both ways. DVC owners get a discount in the long term, and Disney gets investors capital every time they build another resort. It doesn't hurt the non-DVC customer in any way. Thanks to DVC, there are a large number of resorts to stay in that wouldn't be there without DVC. Remember, any DVC resort can be booked without being an owner.

I can also buy the argument that DVC owners are good for the parks. They are good from the perspective that they've committed to going back to WDW over the course of many years. This is part of the reason that it's harder to find a slow season at WDW these days. Patrons that have paid in advance are more likely to take a vacation, even when the economy is bad, and having a reliable source of year over year customers makes it easier for Disney to commit to larger multi year projects.

WDWLOVER1957

unbeliveable if true.

But Disney won't pay for it the owners will, dvc resorts pay for themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom