New DVC at Grand Floridian...

Festivus

If there is expansion in the parks, you can really thank DVC for it. They are building a customer base for years to come that will demand new reasons to go to Orlando and not use their points and money elsewhere.

Exactly! I enjoy my DVC membership very much. The DVC resorts offer a much nicer room with more amenities. We always stay at least 10 days when we visit and it's nice to have a larger room on property because we don't always spend every minute of every day in the parks. The kids have their room, my wife and I have ours, as well as a full kitchen, living room, and laundry in our room. It allows for some breathing room. I don't think they are meant for locals (although they can stay there if they like). I think they are meant to attract out of towners and to gaurantee repeat visits for many years to come and spend in the parks.

WDWFigment

Seeing as the bare minimum it will cost you as an initial investment is $18,000 that's a pretty good chunk of change. Especially since most people are going to spend more. To buy into BLT - where we stayed for our Anniversary last year on cash SUPER cheap with a Pin code - in a 1-bedroom with a Lake View for a week would be $26,000. (And that's in the cheapest season! Want to go at peak? How about $46,000?)

So I don't "believe" anything. I know what that much money can be used for. And it's certainly not for a hotel room where I still have to pay at least another $1,000 a year extra in dues AND pay for my park tickets to boot.

Uh, no thanks. Like I said, maybe it works for some people but not me.

Oh stop being so dramatic. I never said to "tear them down." I said they were expensive - and they are.

We bought into Saratoga Springs last summer for $4,500 cash after closing. We had more than enough points (after banking and borrowing) to do 11 days at BoardWalk for our honeymoon this year.

Festivus

Seeing as the bare minimum it will cost you as an initial investment is $18,000 that's a pretty good chunk of change. Especially since most people are going to spend more. To buy into BLT - where we stayed for our Anniversary last year on cash SUPER cheap with a Pin code - in a 1-bedroom with a Lake View for a week would be $26,000. (And that's in the cheapest season! Want to go at peak? How about $46,000?)are.

It's all entirely based on how many points you decide to purchase. The initial investment is based on that, which you can choose to either pay up front or pay off like a mortgage. Disney matches your down payment and they give you a free vacation for joining. You also don't have to be locked into visiting WDW every vacation, you literally can travel anywhere in the world. The membership is good for 50 years, you can will your points to your children, there are numerous member discounts, if you travel to a location where parks aren't involved your only expense is airfare and spending money. In the long run you come out ahead, the cost of a membership pays for itself in just a few trips.

asa disney

Is the down payment matching/ free vacation a special promotion or is that an ongoing thing? It's a pretty attractive offer that I've never seen them advertise. Also wondering if that's automatic or is that a last-ditch effort to get you to close the deal if you're about to walk. Any DVC owners who know?:shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Is the down payment matching/ free vacation a special promotion or is that an ongoing thing? It's a pretty attractive offer that I've never seen them advertise. Also wondering if that's automatic or is that a last-ditch effort to get you to close the deal if you're about to walk. Any DVC owners who know?:shrug:

It's the offer I received a week ago. How long they keep it going is anyone's guess....:shrug:

Festivus

They did it with me 3 years ago also...

Cubs Brian

Seeing as the bare minimum it will cost you as an initial investment is $18,000 that's a pretty good chunk of change. Especially since most people are going to spend more. To buy into BLT - where we stayed for our Anniversary last year on cash SUPER cheap with a Pin code - in a 1-bedroom with a Lake View for a week would be $26,000. (And that's in the cheapest season! Want to go at peak? How about $46,000?)

So I don't "believe" anything. I know what that much money can be used for. And it's certainly not for a hotel room where I still have to pay at least another $1,000 a year extra in dues AND pay for my park tickets to boot.

Uh, no thanks. Like I said, maybe it works for some people but not me.

Oh stop being so dramatic. I never said to "tear them down." I said they were expensive - and they are.
Our "bare minimum" was $10400.00 in Oct 2007 . You can still buy resales at FAR less than the " bare minimum" of $18000.00. Our " extra in dues is $828.00. My park tickets (AP's) are$100.00 pp LESS than regular priced APs. I will still be paying dues every year with a slight(1%) increase. But we have our hotel already paid for for the next 46 years that either myself or kids can use. With deluxe resorts already ave. nearly $300.00per night now in the future you will have YOUR choice of not going, paying $300-400 for values and moderates or staying off-site. All this while I'll be relaxing on my balcony planning for my 2nd trip that year.

kbmum

It is beautiful land there around GF, I kinda hate to see another monster like the Contemporary DVC built in that area. I realize its all probably zoned for future expansion but sometimes its nice to leave the surroundings alone once in while.

If they build DVC at GF, my guess is that they'd convert an existing building or wing rather than put up a new building. The rooms would be limited and very expensive. That's what they did at the Grand Californian at Disneyland. There are only 48 two-bedroom units and two Grand Villas. The units are the most expensive in the DVC system.

Cubs Brian

My guess is that would build more buildings like the ones they currently have at GF and just have those as DVC units. There won't be any "tower' type buildings like at BLT. I'm sure Disney would want to maintain the integrity of the theming of the resort.

Next Big Thing

My guess is that would build more buildings like the ones they currently have at GF and just have those as DVC units. There won't be any "tower' type buildings like at BLT. I'm sure Disney would want to maintain the integrity of the theming of the resort.
Exactly. Just like how the DVC portion of AKL (Kidani) is themed like non-DVC (Jambo House). The Tower that is BLT fits with the contemporary b/c it is very contemporary and modern. The original A-frame contemproary was what was considered contemporary at that point and time when it was built. That is why you see the Tower there. I really don't think you will see one at any other Disney resort.

WDWFigment

As much as I am a fan of DVC, some of you (fellow owners I assume based on the way you're defending it) are playing really fast and loose with the numbers. When you calculate how long it takes DVC to "pay for itself", in order for your numbers to be accurate, you must account for the time value of money. Do you honestly think Disney would make such a "great" offer to you that can pay for itself in only a few trips? I know it's supposedly the best kept secret, but it's not that good!

The way we look at DVC is a financial and vacation management tool that facilitates budgeting and future happiness.

Your best option, if you want to save the most money, is to buy resale. Without a doubt.

If they build DVC at GF, my guess is that they'd convert an existing building or wing rather than put up a new building. The rooms would be limited and very expensive. That's what they did at the Grand Californian at Disneyland. There are only 48 two-bedroom units and two Grand Villas. The units are the most expensive in the DVC system.

This is definitely what I was thinking when I first opened this thread. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that GF has had the lowest occupancy rate as of late (can't believe everything you read around here, but given the price and economy, it wouldn't be all that surprising). Convert some rooms to DVC, and not only do you increase occupancy there, but you have a new cash stream.

MissM

...you will have YOUR choice of not going, paying $300-400 for values and moderates or staying off-site. All this while I'll be relaxing on my balcony planning for my 2nd trip that year.
Hardly! :lol: I'm at WDW's door from my own in a little over an hour. I'm there a couple weekends a month. And while you may get $100 off your AP, I get my Seasonal AP for about half non-Florida resident's AP pricing and even a full AP is less than yours.

I think I'm doing just fine out of the deal. :D

Next Big Thing

Hardly! :lol: I'm at WDW's door from my own in a little over an hour. I'm there a couple weekends a month. And while you may get $100 off your AP, I get my Seasonal AP for about half non-Florida resident's AP pricing and even a full AP is less than yours.

I think I'm doing just fine out of the deal. :D
As a Florida Resident myself, I much prefer being able to choose any date out of the entire year to go if I may want to as opposed to the FL Resident AP where there are lots of black out restrictions and you are basically forced to go on their schedule.

jakeman

The way we look at DVC is a financial and vacation management tool that facilitates budgeting and future happiness.
That sums it up.

It is a luxury that we are fortunate enough to afford. We are sure we will break even at worst because it fits our vacation style. For some, or maybe even most WDW vistors it may not.

It works for our family. I don't begrudge those that it doesn't work for. It is disheartening to see the venom that is directed towards DVC though, especially since most of it seem to be based on inaccurate or hyperbolic information.

For those saying the money can be spent in the parks, it should be pointed out that DVC budgets are completely different than the park budgets. While under the same umbrella of Parks and Resorts it is not the same line item. If you are going to get upset that Disney is building more DVCs then you should also be as furious that they are building new cruise ships.

WDWFigment

That sums it up.

It is a luxury that we are fortunate enough to afford. We are sure we will break even at worst because it fits our vacation style. For some, or maybe even most WDW vistors it may not.

It works for our family. I don't begrudge those that it doesn't work for. It is disheartening to see the venom that is directed towards DVC though, especially since most of it seem to be based on inaccurate or hyperbolic information.

For those saying the money can be spent in the parks, it should be pointed out that DVC budgets are completely different than the park budgets. While under the same umbrella of Parks and Resorts it is not the same line item. If you are going to get upset that Disney is building more DVCs then you should also be as furious that they are building new cruise ships.

Exactly.

I, for one, am furious that Disney is paying Johnny Depp ~$65-75 million dollars for Pirates 4 while the Yeti's arm still doesn't swoop! Same logic applies (extrapolated out a bit more).

_Scar

Exactly.

I, for one, am furious that Disney is paying Johnny Depp ~$65-75 million dollars for Pirates 4 while the Yeti's arm still doesn't swoop! Same logic applies (extrapolated out a bit more).

Dude...

Pirates, Sparrow-centric, will be awesome.

Just wait.

You'll see...

You'll ALL see...

artvandelay

If this rumor is true, the empty lot west of Floridian Way (North of the parking lot) could be the location. Or, the lot north of the convention center could be used.

828tnt

They wouldn't keep building DVC if there's wasn't demand and if they weren't a great business model for Disney.

They're building a new Value, which is where the demand is now, on the non-DVC side of things.

And if they'e "overpriced" like you say, wouldn't you want Disney to keep them going?... more money for other things, like THE PARKS!

completely agree. besides, dvc is a separate part of the disney umbrella. a very profitable one.

i'm dvc, but i agree that over saturation may be close. why not just lower the point values for the non dvc resorts? or has disney finally realized that it's family-only target doesn't like staying in a "regular hotel room"?

devoy1701

Sooooooo freakin tired of hearing about DVC, overpriced and waste of money. Why dont they build a non-DVC resort? They havent even filled the ones they have yet, why would they build another? Supply and Demand...

Wouldn't the millions they would spend on that be better used in lets say, oh i dont know... THE PARKS!

unbeliveable if true.

I like DVC resorts, and even if you're not a member, it's not like you can't stay there. getting a Studio at Old Key West or Saratoga for $144/night is a pretty good price IMO.

We were seriously considering buying into DVC, but it wasn't in the cards yet, we definitely see the value in it, but buying a house seemed more logical, especially with this economy. Not to mention the common sense of securing where you're going to live every day before you lock in where you're going to be vacationing.

would love to hear more about buying resale when the time is right for us.

Frontierland CM

It is beautiful land there around GF, I kinda hate to see another monster like the Contemporary DVC built in that area. I realize its all probably zoned for future expansion but sometimes its nice to leave the surroundings alone once in while.

Walt Disney World has always been comitted to leaving over 4000 acres undeveloped. That was something they taught us in training.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom