New DVC at Grand Floridian...

DisneyJoe

People that don't live in Florida that take multiple trips each year to WDW?

Interesting thought. Some of these families drop tens of thousands of dollars during the course of a year to take these trips -- whereas locals buy an annual pass and visit the parks much more than that, and spend hardly anything in the parks - are local AP holders rubes too?

Biff215

You see, I'm largely of the belief that these people are the ones that have most directly contributed to the lower quality experience that WDW now provides. They don't demand or expect the quality many others would, they frequent the resort more often, and WDW waters down the experience over time.

Now this is where I think you are completely off base. While DVC does in theory give Disney a captive audience that will return often, it also is a group that has invested money into the resort and demands additions and improvments from my experience. DVC owners in WDW are much like AP holders in DL in my opinion.

You have every right to your opinion about DVC, but you're wrong in assuming it's not worthwhile for anyone. I wouldn't be a member otherwise.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
LOL

only trolls use the word "rubes" excessivley

It's summer, the time of the year for mosquitoes, heat indices of 105, and trolls. Unfortunately, modern man has only been able to address the first two...:brick:

mickey2008.1

This might be the wrong place, but since it was supposed to be about GF DVC and now it is what it is, where do you buy resale DVC at?

captainkidd

Exactly I stayed at AKV Savannah View in March Dream season and spent about $446 on a studio for 5 nights. Now explain how thats overpriced?

It's not.

However, here's the thing with DVC - When you buy, you buy. There is no possibility of ever saving any more money than what you have spent. In fact, just the opposite with dues. THAT's the "X" factor.

My feelings are, vacations are a luxury. I'm very fortunate that we can afford to go every year. However, heaven forbid something ever happens and we don't have the money, it'd be nice not to have to worry about another bill. It really comes down to the age old "Can we buy outright or do we have to finance?"

On a personal note, I don't really care for DVC accomidations. That was another factor for us. When I'm on vacation, I want to feel like I'm on vacation, not at home. I like houesekeeping. I tihnk if people are absolutely insistant on staying at a DVC property, their best bet is just to rent poitns from someone selling them.

pax_65

It's not. However, here's the thing with DVC - When you buy, you buy. There is no possibility of ever saving any more money than what you have spent. In fact, just the opposite with dues. THAT's the "X" factor.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. As a DVC member, I've saved money on every trip I've taken because I didn't have to pay for a hotel room. Also dues have increased very modestly over the past decade, so that's not really a big concern for me.

My feelings are, vacations are a luxury. I'm very fortunate that we can afford to go every year. However, heaven forbid something ever happens and we don't have the money, it'd be nice not to have to worry about another bill. It really comes down to the age old "Can we buy outright or do we have to finance?"

A fair point. We've been fortunate in that we were able to rent our DVC points on two occasions in the past 10 years where saving money was more important than taking a vacation. In total we rented 230 points at $10 a point for $2,300 which was paid for almost two years of dues. I agree about buying outright, which we were able to do.

On a personal note, I don't really care for DVC accomidations. That was another factor for us. When I'm on vacation, I want to feel like I'm on vacation, not at home. I like houesekeeping. I tihnk if people are absolutely insistant on staying at a DVC property, their best bet is just to rent poitns from someone selling them.

As I said, I know other people like you who feel the same way. They want housekeeping, they want room service, they want valet parking, the newspaper and mints, the whole hotel feel. If this is how you feel, you don't want DVC. Personally, I would prefer to rent a house on vacation than stay in a hotel. So DVC is perfect for us - we make ourselves at home - relax in the living room, eat breakfasts in the kitchen, put left-overs in the fridge, do our laundry once or twice, put the kids in one bedroom (or the pull-out couch) while we get the other bedroom, etc.

As I keep saying, for us it was the best purchase I've ever made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom