New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic about this project...but the reality of what it will unleash on the parks is worrisome.

Which brought up another question...when was the last time Disney made a major announcement and everyone thought, "Phew! Finally they understand what they're doing."

SSG

Perhaps making an 'exit only' gate somewhere on the west side of Disneyland would be helpful. Putting guests closer to the parking structures after a long day in the parks could balance things out a bit if getting guests to the main gate when they arrive becomes even more of an issue.

choco choco

But the motivations around the security changes were not due to the new people from the east. They were overall site design changes aimed at changing people flows and where they congregated and are held, etc. moving the boundary outward and diffusing the people movement seem totally abandoned now... and the existing security constraints at the monorail and dtd seem to get worse.

Seems very disjointed... either that voice at the table was beat down... or there could be more to come yet...

The Eastern Gateway project was always about more parking, there never were any real security requirements. This is why I made the argument months ago that I thought the Eastern Gateway project's security checkpoint was poorly located (I recall you and I had this exact discussion and disagreement about it). They (Disney) shouldn't have pretended that security was any sort of motivating factor for either the project or many of its dubious design choices.

There still aren't any real security requirements. I remain firmly convinced that the security checkpoint is mainly for peace of mind for the guests, and doesn't contribute much to the actual safety of the Resort area.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Eventually they'll need to plan for large numbers of guests getting dropped off by their self-driving cars, then sending their cars off to park themselves somewhere further away. I wonder if they are thinking about that?

No. I bet that never occurred to them and never will until at least fifteen years after that becomes common place.

By that time, a good chunk of people, especially those who live in cities won't be owning cars, but instead they'll be signed up for a AI Car Service that will send a car to drive you to your location. Sort of like a driver-less Uber/Lyft. So, once your AI Taxi has dropped you off, it will zoom off to pick up the next customer.

BrianLo

100% I primarily care about the fact that parking was gridlocking park expansion. At least that can finally move ahead and create a better long term plan for the Eastern Gateway and subsequent corridor to the Toy Story lot.

The hold up in parking spaces was doing no one any favours. Disney, CM's, guests or Anaheim.

I was worried Disney was about to wash their hands and stall/cancel everything. Clearly someone is motivated in the company to start addressing issues.

choco choco

By and large, I like this plan much more than the Eastern Gateway (heretofore referred to as EG). As TP2000 pointed out, there's actually a net gain in parking with this plan compared to the EG, and they get to couple it with the extra revenue that the hotel will bring in. So this may actually end up being a cheaper project that improves resort operations while still bringing in higher profit margins. I am huge on land use, and this seems a much better use of land.

The most interesting thing now is to see what Disney does with all that land originally planned for the EG. Somebody here already suggested it should go to employee parking, but I'll take it a step further. Not only should it go to employee parking, but Disney should consider relocating a couple of backstage spaces into what is currently the shuttle transit area and linking that to the EG employee parking. This could conceivably create a shared backstage area with direct access to both parks, leading to a more efficient use of land by eliminating facilities that are, right now because of distance, redundant in both parks. Things like dressing rooms and break rooms for Main Street and Buena Vista street could be shared, for instance, or food and merchandise warehousing. This potentially frees up room for more theme park acreage on the northern parts of Disneyland and the southern parts of DCA. Again, it's all about better use of land.

disneylandcm

By and large, I like this plan much more than the Eastern Gateway (heretofore referred to as EG). As TP2000 pointed out, there's actually a net gain in parking with this plan compared to the EG, and they get to couple it with the extra revenue that the hotel will bring in. So this may actually end up being a cheaper project that improves resort operations while still bringing in higher profit margins. I am huge on land use, and this seems a much better use of land.

The most interesting thing now is to see what Disney does with all that land originally planned for the EG. Somebody here already suggested it should go to employee parking, but I'll take it a step further. Not only should it go to employee parking, but Disney should consider relocating a couple of backstage spaces into what is currently the shuttle transit area and linking that to the EG employee parking. This could conceivably create a shared backstage area with direct access to both parks, leading to a more efficient use of land by eliminating facilities that are, right now because of distance, redundant in both parks. Things like dressing rooms and break rooms for Main Street and Buena Vista street could be shared, for instance, or food and merchandise warehousing. This potentially frees up room for more theme park acreage on the northern parts of Disneyland and the southern parts of DCA. Again, it's all about better use of land.
I’m in complete agreement about locating CM parking and costume services at the former EG location. A long while back I heard rumors that TDA could be razed for park expansion. If they turned that property into a Cast complex a new TDA would fit right in.

jocarol

By that time, a good chunk of people, especially those who live in cities won't be owning cars, but instead they'll be signed up for a AI Car Service that will send a car to drive you to your location. Sort of like a driver-less Uber/Lyft. So, once your AI Taxi has dropped you off, it will zoom off to pick up the next customer.
That's good because otherwise people would tell their cars to just drive around empty all day rather than pay for parking.

dweezil78

Re: no more trams... If there's no more trams, then there is no more tram lane, which means -- in theory -- they could create a bridge over Disneyland Dr. right at the garages and use the old tram route as a walkway right into the esplanade. I would hope they'd consider this vs. forcing everyone walk to the hotels and then thru DTD just to get to the parks when there's a much more direct way of this.

Darkbeer1

Re: no more trams... If there's no more trams, then there is no more tram lane, which means -- in theory -- they could create a bridge over Disneyland Dr. right at the garages and use the old tram route as a walkway right into the esplanade. I would hope they'd consider this vs. forcing everyone walk to the hotels and then thru DTD just to get to the parks when there's a much more direct way of this.

No need for abridge, it is already there, have everyone come to the ground level from both garages as they do now, have security check on the west side of Disneyland Drive, then have guests walk under Disneyland Dr where the trams go now, and enter a themed walkway to Downtown Disney, which can be enlarged so the pathway seems shorter. Nice wide path that can handle large crowds including wheelchairs and strollers. Maybe even place a Stroller rental stand next to the security check, to help those who need it with the walk.

dweezil78

No need for abridge, it is already there, have everyone come to the ground level from both garages as they do now, have security check on the west side of Disneyland Drive, then have guests walk under Disneyland Dr where the trams go now, and enter a themed walkway to Downtown Disney, which can be enlarged so the pathway seems shorter. Nice wide path that can handle large crowds including wheelchairs and strollers. Maybe even place a Stroller rental stand next to the security check, to help those who need it with the walk.

Oh duh, of course... Sorry, this is what happens when I try to think about this stuff at work haha! Literally just follow the path of the tram. Easy.

The_Mesh_Hatter

The most interesting thing now is to see what Disney does with all that land originally planned for the EG. Somebody here already suggested it should go to employee parking, but I'll take it a step further. Not only should it go to employee parking, but Disney should consider relocating a couple of backstage spaces into what is currently the shuttle transit area and linking that to the EG employee parking. This could conceivably create a shared backstage area with direct access to both parks, leading to a more efficient use of land by eliminating facilities that are, right now because of distance, redundant in both parks. Things like dressing rooms and break rooms for Main Street and Buena Vista street could be shared, for instance, or food and merchandise warehousing.

Good point. Tokyo Disneyland, which is also short on space, is situated as$ to ankles with respect to DisneySea. The DLP parks are also adjacent, but I don't think they really share backstage areas.

The_Mesh_Hatter

So I've been playing around with scribble maps trying to interpret Disney's game plan. Hopefully, I'll present the entire map this weekend. But while everyone's talking about the fate of the trams, I have a pretty good guess.

"To clear up the daily congestion that happens along Ball Road, once visitors enter the fly by ramp, Disney will add six additional lanes to its current 10 lanes to help flow cars quicker into either parking lot." -OC Register

Well, here's the ramp. It's a major artery for arriving guests. Where do the six new lanes go?
aKRbiem.jpg

Star Wars Land is directly up against one side of the ramp, and adding lanes to that lot on the other side wouldn't provide access to the new lot. For those unfamiliar, the tram actually enters the pick up area by curving into the Mickey and Friends structure to complete a U turn. So there's already a road in the corner of the bottom level. The 6 new lanes could split off from the 10 lanes that enter the M&F structure by weaving under the left-bound side of the Disneyland Drive ramp that intersects Magic Way. The new lanes could then enter the bottom level of M&F and utilize an extension of the current set of toll booths. Then, the current toll booth set up (expanded for the new capacity obviously) could feed into M&F proper (the upper levels) by turning right, or the new structure by turning left.

A sketch:
obY922f.jpg

Removing the trams may be both desirable, and necessary, to accomplish what the OC Register describes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom