New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Darkbeer1

You want Drama. what if Disney "flips the bird" to the city and fences off Harbor for guest access.

Pumbaa could still be built, and both Toy Story and Pumbaa shuttles could drop off on Disneyland Drive. And the Mickey & Friends Tram could be closed down, forcing everyone to walk from the west end of DtD.

Now, Disney would have to do a lot, including new park entrances and exits (aka Multiple ones), but with Galaxy Edge opening, would that be a bad thing? Plus the current Main Street bottleneck would play a smaller role, as it becomes more of a pathway to DCA.

Downtown Disney would have to be redesigned to keep the Fire Marshall happy, and some buildings might need to be demolished.

The 4th Hotel would have to be cancelled to have enough land for a new transportation hub, but would gain property on Harbor for park expansion or back stage issues.

But Disney has the right to do it, and the city and Harbor Businesses could complain as much as they want to.

But it would cost Disney a lot of money, and why it won't happen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You want Drama. what if Disney "flips the bird" to the city and fences off Harbor for guest access.

Pumbaa could still be built, and both Toy Story and Pumbaa shuttles could drop off on Disneyland Drive. And the Mickey & Friends Tram could be closed down, forcing everyone to walk from the west end of DtD.

Now, Disney would have to do a lot, including new park entrances and exits (aka Multiple ones), but with Galaxy Edge opening, would that be a bad thing? Plus the current Main Street bottleneck would play a smaller role, as it becomes more of a pathway to DCA.

Downtown Disney would have to be redesigned to keep the Fire Marshall happy, and some buildings might need to be demolished.

The 4th Hotel would have to be cancelled to have enough land for a new transportation hub, but would gain property on Harbor for park expansion or back stage issues.

But Disney has the right to do it, and the city and Harbor Businesses could complain as much as they want to.

But it would cost Disney a lot of money, and why it won't happen.

While I know Disney will play nice and try to work with Anaheim, I sometimes wonder if some of the Execs just wanna say screw it and do what you propose.

D

Deleted member 107043

Sounds like you almost wish it would happen.

What advantage would there be for Disney to pull such a potentially risky stunt? Given the long history of arrogance from Disney's Burbank HQ it wouldn't surprise me if they tried something stupid like that, but such a move would not only be costly it could turn into a PR nightmare.

Darkbeer1

Well, think of the possibilities, the Convention Center now faces Harbor and Katella, and would be a loser in the deal.

Residents would get screwed as more vehicles would shift to Walnut. Disney could try and buy the Anaheim Majestic property again.

It would make the three Disney Hotels more popular in regards to distance to the entrance.

Darkbeer1

Sounds like you almost wish it would happen.

What advantage would there be for Disney to pull such a potentially risky stunt? Given the long history of arrogance from Disney's Burbank HQ it wouldn't surprise me if they tried something stupid like that, but such a move would not only be costly it could turn into a PR nightmare.

I clearly stated that it wouldn't happen. I brought it up in regards to what Disney currently controls, and how it affects the new Eastern Gateway, and the crosswalk controversy.

Disney has a lot of options, but the Gateway is by far the best option, with a Pummba only as a backup.

Disney knows it needs more land, and cannot just build on the current master plan, such as the Toy Story property, which is only temporarily approved, and not part of the Master Plan. And they can't build up, as the plan has height limitations attached to it,

D

Deleted member 107043

I clearly stated that it wouldn't happen. I brought it up in regards to what Disney currently controls, and how it affects the new Eastern Gateway, and the crosswalk controversy.

Yeah, I know you were speaking in "what if" terms, and so was I. Carry on.

Darkbeer1

What would I like...

Disney to address the Bridge issue, and spend some money on aesthetics so it looks good to everyone from all angles.

That the owners of the properties on Harbor (some, not all) stop acting like spoiled brats, and accept things they can't change, but instead focus on the things they can change in a positive way.

That the city and other agencies will focus on the residents needs and improve traffic flow on Harbor Blvd, removing crosswalks and traffic lights, and build new public transport facilities on Manchester. Not attached to this project, but also address the corner of Harbor and Katella to reduce pedestrian traffic.

And I would LOVE that Tait/Moreno and the city council learn to be pro-business in general, and not try and kill the golden goose.

Those are the basics.

DLR92

What would I like...

Disney to address the Bridge issue, and spend some money on aesthetics so it looks good to everyone from all angles.

That the owners of the properties on Harbor (some, not all) stop acting like spoiled brats, and accept things they can't change, but instead focus on the things they can change in a positive way.

That the city and other agencies will focus on the residents needs and improve traffic flow on Harbor Blvd, removing crosswalks and traffic lights, and build new public transport facilities on Manchester. Not attached to this project, but also address the corner of Harbor and Katella to reduce pedestrian traffic.

And I would LOVE that Tait/Moreno and the city council learn to be pro-business in general, and not try and kill the golden goose.

Those are the basics.

Do you think the city of Anaheim should build a pedestrian bridge on Harbor and Katella quite like what Las Vegas does?

Darkbeer1

Do you think the city of Anaheim should build a pedestrian bridge on Harbor and Katella quite like what Las Vegas does?

Basically yes, but doesn't need to be four bridges, they can do two, one on the north side, and one on the east side. Though the city might opt for the south side due to the Convention Center.

Also Harbor and Convention Way, with the folks walking to/from Toy Story to the Convention Center and its Hotels.

Plus address the vehicle issues on Harbor between Ball and the I-5 on/off ramps.

And move as much bus/shuttle vehicles off Harbor and onto Manchester as possible, including OCTA and LA Metro service.

Old Mouseketeer

Basically yes, but doesn't need to be four bridges, they can do two, one on the north side, and one on the east side. Though the city might opt for the south side due to the Convention Center.

Also Harbor and Convention Way, with the folks walking to/from Toy Story to the Convention Center and its Hotels.

Plus address the vehicle issues on Harbor between Ball and the I-5 on/off ramps.

And move as much bus/shuttle vehicles off Harbor and onto Manchester as possible, including OCTA and LA Metro service.

"To dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da> the imposs-i-ble dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da>...."

Mostly agree. But I smite thee for the OCTA/Metro service. Now you are asking for CMs who use public transit to add that much longer walk with no compensation.

Hell, no.

Just one more way for CMs to get screwed. I worked there decades ago when the 20 min. paid walk time was adequate compensation, along with the other perks. Now it's a joke. It's not the CMs' fault that Disney and Anaheim let the growth get out of control. Plus you are re-routing all the other passengers on the Harbor OCTA line to detour around Manchester.

F-ing no!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"To dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da> the imposs-i-ble dream <da-da-da-dot-dot-dot-da>...."

Mostly agree. But I smite thee for the OCTA/Metro service. Now you are asking for CMs who use public transit to add that much longer walk with no compensation.

Hell, no.

Just one more way for CMs to get screwed. I worked there decades ago when the 20 min. paid walk time was adequate compensation, along with the other perks. Now it's a joke. It's not the CMs' fault that Disney and Anaheim let the growth get out of control. Plus you are re-routing all the other passengers on the Harbor OCTA line to detour around Manchester.

F-ing no!

I imagine that there would be a cast shuttle (or 2) that would run from the transit hub to the Harbor cast entrance if what @Darkbeer1 proposes comes true. Cast members will just have to budget their time accordingly just like the rest of the world's workers who use transit.

I worked at the local amusement park and we had shuttles running from the front of the park where the public transit dropped off to the back of the park where the cast entrance was. So its not an uncommon practice, you can't always be dropped off door-to-door when it comes to public transit. Also having a "paid walk time" is not common, something I've never gotten in any job.

Darkbeer1

My basic solution for the bridge... On the sides, build a metal sculpture of leaves and branches. Then plant a sturdy, low water ivy that would grow and attach itself to the structure. The only signage on the bridge would be signs required by law stating height and other safety info. No ad for Disneyland, the nearby businesses or the Resort District. The costs shouldn't be that much, and the resort district funds could use the current gardening company, Marina, to maintain the vines so they don't become overgrown.

Shouldn't add too much to the costs of the bridge,

Old Mouseketeer

I imagine that there would be a cast shuttle (or 2) that would run from the transit hub to the Harbor cast entrance if what @Darkbeer1 proposes comes true. Cast members will just have to budget their time accordingly just like the rest of the world's workers who use transit.

I worked at the local amusement park and we had shuttles running from the front of the park where the public transit dropped off to the back of the park where the cast entrance was. So its not an uncommon practice, you can't always be dropped off door-to-door when it comes to public transit. Also having a "paid walk time" is not common, something I've never gotten in any job.

Well, for some workers at Disney changing into your hideous costume and hiking across the resort can take 30-45 minutes each way. Unpaid. And it has gotten worse as development has encroached on the parks.

Old Mouseketeer

My basic solution for the bridge... On the sides, build a metal sculpture of leaves and branches. Then plant a sturdy, low water ivy that would grow and attach itself to the structure. The only signage on the bridge would be signs required by law stating height and other safety info. No ad for Disneyland, the nearby businesses or the Resort District. The costs shouldn't be that much, and the resort district funds could use the current gardening company, Marina, to maintain the vines so they don't become overgrown.

Shouldn't add too much to the costs of the bridge,

Or put a decorative colorful and/or sculptural canopy over it to give the poor tourists some shade and protection from the rain.

DLR92

I really think the city should offer to build at least one bridge as well. That way traffic could move more fluidly without the influx of pedestrian traffic. Is Disney still offering a small security point on Harbor? Because I wonder for those who park at Toy Story would be waiting for the bus shuttle to come by. I wonder if they would be allowed to leave parking premises without going through the security point planned on Toy Story lot?:hilarious:

Darkbeer1

Well, for some workers at Disney changing into your hideous costume and hiking across the resort can take 30-45 minutes each way. Unpaid. And it has gotten worse as development has encroached on the parks.

This is not a Disney issue, but what workers across the world deal with. Commuting can add hours each way to go to work. Heck, look at all the folks that opt to live in the Inland Empire and commute to Orange and Los Angeles Counties. When I lived in San Diego, I used to have to deal with the commute to Orange County.

Also, many workers must changing into work clothes after arriving, I can think of Food Preparation, mechanical workers and many more that are required to wear company provided items to wear.

As to moving the public transit to Manchester, Disney has looked into adding an employee gate to allow them access to the bridge to get to Harbor Pointe, Costuming and the like, Not much of an additional walk.

And there would be a great benefit, one that drives me crazy for multiple reasons.. No more could friends and family using the Bus Stop cutout on Harbor to drop off CM's and guests. This alone would help with the traffic congestion.

Darkbeer1

. Is Disney still offering a small security point on Harbor?

At the earlier Workshop, Disney officials stated they had one planned, but had no further comment, as it is not part of the plans being reviewed by the city.

But, the Toy Story drop-off will be just east of the Hyperion Theater building, where the current Taxi and drop off area is.
The rumored new security check would be on the north side of the bridge landing, near the Costuming Building.

Of course, Disney can redesign or eliminate anything they want to on the side of Harbor.

DLR92

Hell, no.

F-ing no!

I find CM parking situation just deplorable. I really think Disney made a huge mistake to make Ball Cast member lot a flat parking surface. It should have been a parking structure for the Disney employees, perhaps one floor dedicated to temporarily guest park parking.

Darkbeer1

I find CM parking situation just deplorable. I really think Disney made a huge mistake to make Ball Cast member lot a flat parking surface. It should have been a parking structure for the Disney employees, perhaps one floor dedicated to temporarily guest park parking.

It is in the works, Disney is in the planning stages to convert it to a structure, which would have to be approved by the Planning Commission and City Council. The goal is to close down the Katella CM Lot and have those cars use the new structure, and then redesign Toy Story to use the spaces, which would become a guests use only facility. But Disney wants a guarantee of being able to use the lot long term from the city before converting it. The redesign has one central bus stop and security check area, which would help increase the guests per hour counts on the ART services.

So CM Shuttles would service the Ball Lot, and ART Route 20 would be the only shuttles at the Toy Story/Katella lot.

Also, Disney could work with the OCTA and LA Metro to have bus stops next to the new CM Structure, where they can switch to whichever Disney Shuttle they would need, as new Shuttle stops will be needed for the 4th Hotel and for Downtown Disney Employees, as Simba is also on the consolidation list of CM/Employee parking on that lot to be converted to more guest parking, since the main DtD lot off Magic Way will be closing for the new Hotel.

truecoat

At the earlier Workshop, Disney officials stated they had one planned, but had no further comment, as it is not part of the plans being reviewed by the city.

But, the Toy Story drop-off will be just east of the Hyperion Theater building, where the current Taxi and drop off area is.
The rumored new security check would be on the north side of the bridge landing, near the Costuming Building.

Of course, Disney can redesign or eliminate anything they want to on the side of Harbor.

Is there any reason on why Toy Story will still drop off on this side and not the new eastern gateway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom