New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

LongLiveTheKing

I think that's part of my problem too. Other than Harbor, Disneyland Drive and Katella I'm not familiar enough with the area to know the street names without looking at a map. 90% of the time I stay in hotels when I visit (I think I've parked in Mickey & Friends maybe three times since it was built), so I have zero point of reference for the names of the other Resort parking lots scattered around the area.
Yeah, you basically have to be looking at that are in Google Maps to make any sense of this stuff. Luckly Pumba Lot is searchable in GM as well so we can see the distance between the new bridge and the parks.

@Darkbeer1, can you make a list of the locations of the Harbor crosswalks that you think are going to remain and the new entrances on Harbor? My family typically stays at the Tropicana and with a lot of crosswalk removal I'm having trouble picturing the area now.

LongLiveTheKing

As I posted at DISboards recently, some folks just don't want to know how sausage is made, but on the other hand, some find it very interesting. (Check out the shows on channels like Food Network, Travel Channel, FYI and others that take you inside those factories).
Also Food Network and Travel Channel have specials on Disney Parks themselves on youtube if anyone wants to look for them

Darkbeer1

OK, LLTK, based on current info, which has not gone through the public review process.

The one crosswalk at the southern end of the Harbor and Manchester will remain (access is to Mimi's Café directly). That will take you to the west side of Harbor and a southbound public sidewalk to Disney property. (The Eastern crosswalk over Manchester will remain, as will the public sidewalk on the west side (think Hotel Menage access).

At Disney Way and Harbor, only one crosswalk will remain, once again the southern edge on with access to the Candy Cane Inn.

The other three crosswalks will be removed, along with the Western Public sidewalk from Disney Way going northbound on Harbor, forcing pedestrians to use the eastern side when reaching Disney Way from the south.

Also the Median on Harbor between Manchester and Disney Way will be solid, so no more traffic light and crosswalk near the Park Vue Inn.

So that means, unless the Tropicana can make a deal with Disney for a rear entrance, that you have two real options with walking, head north up Harbor to Manchester, and cross to the west side there, or head south to Disney Way and walk on the new sidewalk pathway to behind the Grand Legacy and Pumbaa lot new Pedestrian entrance. A third possible option being talked about, a new ART route that would run a clockwise route starting at the new Hub on Manchester, head south to either Disney Way or Katella, make a right and then another right on Harbor going northbound to Manchester, then another right to the new Hub. ART routes are designed to run about every 20 minutes and usually 3 stops, so one stop to be shared between the Tropicana, BWPPPI&S and the Park Vue Inn. Edit - another stop would be the Fairfield Inn. Both stops would more than likely be on the Hotel property to take it off Harbor, but deals would have to be made

I am not the best in taking satellite images and adding details, so maybe another user can make one, and I will comment based on the info I have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Also Food Network and Travel Channel have specials on Disney Parks themselves on youtube if anyone wants to look for them

Well those specials are done with Disney, who pays for them, at least most of the costs. But no big surprise...

Same happens with local morning news here in the Southland, Disney and all the other Theme Parks make deals for coverage, especially openings and other special events. Basically a promise to buy a certain amount of ads to the point where Disney produces the segments using their own cameras and staff, and only the on-air talent for the station is what the channel provides. Heck even writes the scripts. (Think KTLA Channel 5). Disney would prefer to use Channel 7, KABC, but they have to air "Good Morning America" and have to use someone else. But KTLA has also worked with Knott's, Universal, and Six Flags for special events, where the parks provided much of the coverage and pays for the expenses, including getting tickets for viewers to attend these events like the premiere of Frozen.

But this isn't just Theme Park related, anytime you see a segment on the Morning News, you have to consider if it is "pay to play", or sometimes just a deal where they get an extended on-camera expert in studio in return for the company providing them and the related costs. And I have done that personally as an Tax Expert and the company I worked for at the time, and also the Theme Park stuff.

Alas, the "news" business has become a big revenue generator for local stations, heck, KTLA 5 is one of the biggest channels, with the most "live" news programming in a week in the nation (same with many of its sister Tribune Stations).

NobodyElse

Cost wise, keeping the current supports and just raising/lowering the height is an option, and is a lower cost version as compared to a total re-route, at least that is what I have been told.

Thanks for bringing this option to our attention. It hadn't really occurred to me until now, but it makes sense as a valid consideration.

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer1

Thanks for bringing this option to our attention. It hadn't really occurred to me until now, but it makes sense as a valid consideration.

Look at the situation next to the Downtown Disney station, when they built the walkways in the area, they actually raised the grade for the Disneyland Drive bridge, and the overhead span of the track is extremely low when you walk underneath it (say compared to the main DCA pathway under the bridge).

Plenty of options, and still a lot of things to work out...

Now if you asked me in a bar and wanted to make a bet of what will happen in the future...

The first bet, that much of the current Transportation Hub finds it way to becoming an expansion of DCA, I would even give you odds that said it would happen. (You would make more money, oops I meant drinks since gambling is not allowed ;) if I was wrong, say 3 to 1.

The current Monorail track, I would give even odds of it not moving.

Darkbeer1

Let me add one key point in its own post.

Disney has lost a key negation chip between the agreement for the Resort to be built originally and today.

Back then, Disney could use the threat of moving the second park to Long Beach (DisneySea) to gain leverage.

Now they have a mayor who isn't the biggest Disney supporter, and nobody to use to threaten to move to. (Similar to Sports Teams and building new stadiums).

So the ball is in the City's favor, and Disney has to make deals to get what they want, even though they still have a lot of leverage, and uses things like SOAR to push the City Council and Mayor.

Edited to add, Disney is also using some Unions to help push their agenda, such as construction trades.

http://soaranaheim.com/

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Look at the situation next to the Downtown Disney station, when they built the walkways in the area, they actually raised the grade for the Disneyland Drive bridge, and the overhead span of the track is extremely low when you walk underneath it (say compared to the main DCA pathway under the bridge).

Plenty of options, and still a lot of things to work out...

Now if you asked me in a bar and wanted to make a bet of what will happen in the future...

The first bet, that much of the current Transportation Hub finds it way to becoming an expansion of DCA, I would even give you odds that said it would happen. (You would make more money, oops I meant drinks since gambling is not allowed ;) if I was wrong, say 3 to 1.

The current Monorail track, I would give even odds of it not moving.

Clearly, we'd be best off buying each other beers and literally calling it even. ;)

If whatever they plan on doing with either remodeling the Hollywoodland area and/or expanding into the transport hubs is indifferent to a monorail running through it, then keeping the current route makes the most sense. I guess it's unfortunate that they originally chose to run the section of track in question under the other track where they intersect into and out of Tomorrowland. That will determine where they begin the "upgrade" and limit the "gentleness" of said grade, but I'm sure it's feasible. Once over the bridge, they can take as long as they like to get back to normal height (probably right around the curve end near Monsters Inc.)

Darkbeer1

I am enjoying this thread and the folks posting in it, folks who are looking at the entire package, and not just a specific part. Or getting upset that we are dealing with "rumors" and not Disney statements, which we all know have been wrong, and a lot of times misleading. Yes, Disney has business reasons in why they do that, such as spinning the positive and being evasive to not let the completion know what is up, even though everyone knows the info is shared between Theme Park Owners and related businesses.

One quick very recent story, I get a heads up that a senior VP was coming to the area, and that he was open to a conversation. He is in the park in casual clothing, and the vast majority of employees had no idea he was there, and also had no "handlers" with him. (And that no other folks related to Theme Park Rumors has no idea of the visit). When I caught up with him (with my wife), he was using his smartphone taking pictures of a new area. We chatted a bit, then went somewhere for a casual chat out of the way and private conversation. Let just say we discussed the entire Southern California (well, lets say West Coast) Theme Park situation and what is happening. He wanted some of the info I had, and was kind enough to buy dinner and drinks. Of course, the agreement was to keep the info private, but we also know we both didn't say everything we knew, and that the info would be used "behind the scenes". Strange how things change and morph, I just wish "Marcie" (aka shoutout to TP2000) would react to that. But then again, "Marcie" knew I had strong ties to Jack Falfas when he worked for Knott's and Cedar Fair (Since got a strange and weird end to his career that I hope to get permission to write about in the future, but those nasty non-disclosure agreements that protect paychecks and retirement benefits get in the way...)

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer, I expect a PowerPoint presentation for the next info drop.

:p

Where do I send the bill for said PowerPoint, I would need to use a staff member to prepare it, take time to review it and then present it... And that ain't cheap!

You are lucky this subject has my attention, and my wife is allowing me to spend time on the computer for "casual use".

Darkbeer1

Let me add one quick story that is somewhat related to the last few posts, and I think is amusing.. (Well, you might not, but oh well, such is life!)

As part of my KTLA connections, back in 2005 I got invited to be part of the special program being filmed on May 4th, 2005 as part of the start of the 50th Anniversary (the park was closed to the general public).

I was given some passes for friends/family to attend and sit in front of the castle for the live broadcast that morning (yes, way too early) and then got to spend the day in the park highlighting the official event on 5/5/2015, a play on the 5’s).

Well, I decided to give Al Lutz one, and when Disney found out, it was too late, he was in the park and sitting right there. And did the (Some material) hit the fan.

Alas, they can try and spin and twist info around, when it comes down to it, they don’t have total control, but do their best to try…

And as a business, I do understand Disney’s point of view, but we also don’t get what we always want…

Darkbeer1

Let me wrap up the last posts of mine short and sweet.

The city of Anaheim wants to deal with traffic flow in the Anaheim Resort area, both vehicles and pedestrians.

Disney wants to expand, and needs more parking for its Theme Park Guests, Hotel Guests and Cast Member parking (plus those employees in leased locations in Downtown Disney).

So the current Eastern Gateway project is a work in progress that addresses some of those issues.

And yes, the non-Disney businesses in the area are getting the short end of the stick, but still have a voice.

But that is like showing a formula in class that proves that 2 plus 2 equals 5. (gee... a 1984 reference, what a surprise ;)

TP2000

Let me wrap up the last posts of mine short and sweet.

The city of Anaheim wants to deal with traffic flow in the Anaheim Resort area, both vehicles and pedestrians.

Disney wants to expand, and needs more parking for its Theme Park Guests, Hotel Guests and Cast Member parking (plus those employees in leased locations in Downtown Disney).

So the current Eastern Gateway project is a work in progress that addresses some of those issues.

And yes, the non-Disney businesses in the area are getting the short end of the stick, but still have a voice.

But that is like showing a formula in class that proves that 2 plus 2 equals 5. (gee... a 1984 reference, what a surprise ;)

Thank you again Darkbeer for all of your insight and information from city and industry sources on the Eastern Gateway. It is very, very much appreciated and for me at least it has helped shed light on all the official and unofficial (Miceage) information that has gushed forth in the last 30 days.

Someone smart should/could make a map of all this stuff, especially the proposed crosswalk and sidewalk changes, so that folks like Hans who aren't familiar with street names and locations can picture it better.

I like the overall plan and goals Anaheim is putting forth (limit pedestrian/vehicle access along Harbor Blvd, make it easier and safer for visitors in the new luxury hotels to walk to the parks), and most of those goals seem to align with what Disney wants (push the security boundary far from the park entrances, expand parking and transportation facilities, push out the Disney bubble a bit more, and carve out expansion land for DCA).

Both sides might not get exactly what they want, but they both seem to be on the same page. And long-term I think it will be a very good thing for the resort. Although 2017-18 might get messy with construction along and near Harbor Blvd.

I must also say I was happy to hear about your personal life around 2010 to now. I want to belatedly congratulate you on your marriage and wish you and the missus a happy life together. You really were a fixture for so many of us from the late 1990's through the 2000's, so it's great to hear from you again and learn all is well.

What an interesting evening this turned out to be, huh gang?!? :D

Darkbeer1

Thanks TP2000, first off, I want to state the current MiceChat staff and writers are still friends, and the info they present is presented as rumors, same as when I wrote for them. They need to be taken that way, just like my posts tonight.

But then if you look at who was at my wedding at Knott's, it included members of the LA Times, OC Register, and non-Disney Business management. ( I could hint at actual Disney management, but will leave it at that...).

Different reporting groups have different standards, with Newspapers being fairly strict. (But somehow some of my info ended up in an Associated Press story that was the first news and proven 100% correct (Disney and McDonald's in the parks).

As for life in general, well, my father passed, and one of the reasons for the new house was to allow my mom to move in with us, and having the need for ADA accommodations to help her out. It has been fun though in making the initial changes, and no converting the house to an meeting high "green" standards in regards to energy and water use. (and I am not a big environmentalist, just want to not pay for energy, and increase the resell value.)

And it wasn't only until after I moved in that I found out about the STR across the street. It recently sold for 1.7 Million, which helped with my home value, which is still a lot less than that!

But for the most part, I have had a very blessed life, won a First Class trip to Istanbul, Turkey, still do a lot of travelling for both business and vacation, and get access to special park events that are held during hours normally closed to the public.

But getting back on point, a lot of the decisions haven't been finalized, and what I have posted, I hoped I made clear is based on current info and subject to change.

I know the non-Disney business are preparing for the more than likely Planning Commission hearing in September, and that is only the first of many things that can force changes out of Disney and the city hands.

I did like the news of the new Cambria Hotel being announced for the former Flakey Jake's lot (which was used by Disney for the expansion of DCA and staging its construction vehicles).

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hotel-725552-anaheim-room.html

The article also talks about other Hotel projects in the area.

In 2017, I don't see much impact on Harbor, but more on the Manchester/Clementine roadway east of Harbor, and work on Disney Way.

More than likely, work on the actual bridge wont start until late 2017 based on the current plans.

And I am trying to wrap this up and go join my wife who is already in bed, to keep my marriage happy..

180º

@Darkbeer1, what can I say? I am so thrilled you made an account here to grace us with your knowledge. I used to enjoy perusing your smugmug gallery every week.

I think you'll find our community here, while not perfect, is one of the best Disney forums around. While the MiceChat staff still valiantly churns out content, the community there has sadly taken a turn for the worse and I can't bear to view those discussions anymore. It's much like how you describe your encounter with DIS members.

I hold the word of our trusted insiders above that of Disney's, because I know Disney only tells us what they absolutely have to or what sounds nice, not the whole truth. As for your information about the Eastern Gateway, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing and I can't wait to hear more. I've awaited this project for years and it's shaping up to be a big improvement. Harbor Boulevard has become Disneyland's biggest logistical disadvantage and it seemed they'd never be able to address it. I'm glad to see that they are buckling down and spending the money to help the traffic and parking nightmare, and doing it right. Very exciting!

NobodyElse

I am not the best in taking satellite images and adding details, so maybe another user can make one, and I will comment based on the info I have already mentioned.

I'm not either, but in an effort to assist those unfamiliar with the area visualize the crosswalk situation, perhaps this will help.
upload_2016-8-31_13-26-50.png

Note 1: If I misunderstood something, let me know so I can fix it.
EDIT: Original image changed to reflect elimination of North South Disney Way crosswalk.
Note 2: If it'll help, I can somewhat note the closed and remaining sidewalks on the west side.
Note 3: Remember, this is based on intelligent rumors of a plan that could easily change. No guarantees - no refunds. ;)
Note 4: Not shown here (it would be just to the right of this image) is a crosswalk across Disney Way near the GardenWalk driveway. I have to wonder if there are plans to alter/move/remove that one.

Last edited:

yookeroo

Where do I send the bill for said PowerPoint, I would need to use a staff member to prepare it, take time to review it and then present it... And that ain't cheap!

We're worth every penny! Even more than that, so I expect you to blow off those NDAs too!

o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom