New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

NobodyElse

I just tried to book a room one year from today for one night and their site issued this response:

.. Availability is limited for your selected dates. Please call the hotel directly or click email above to send an email request.

Did it?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/million-726782-streetcar-funds.html

My understanding is that the project has hit several roadblocks, and that the proposed route no longer goes through the Park Vue, but it seems like the project is still very much alive.

I need to research further, but I wonder if the "OC Streetcar" and "Anaheim Streetcar" are different projects?

Edit: Now that I actually read the above piece, this section sticks out:

"In addition, staff are redirecting $9.17 million in Federal Transit Administration funds from the Anaheim Rapid Connection streetcar project – which the OCTA board in June voted to take over from Anaheim – to the OC Streetcar. Those funds were redirected “to avoid risk of their loss,” the staff report states, and boost the FTA pot of money for the OC Streetcar to $13.2 million."

Sounds like the Anaheim Streetcar is so dead, they've picked its corpse of $9.17 million.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Sounds like the Anaheim Streetcar is so dead, they've picked its corpse of $9.17 million.

OK, so The Anaheim Streetcar Project is dead, but a project for a streetcar in Anaheim and beyond is still in the works, and is being driven by the county rather than the city, which frankly makes more sense from a regional transit perspective.

TP2000

Bingo! The Anaheim Streetcar project from ARTIC to the Anaheim Resort is dead, dead, dead. Lying in the gutter dead.

A few months ago Anaheim gave up and handed over the reigns to OCTA, who did exactly as you say, picked its dying corpse of the 9 Million it got from the Feds. (Which was a silly little sum for a $300+ Million project, meant to just keep it alive for a few years of paying bureaucrats and consultants in that way that Government loves to do)

OK, so The Anaheim Streetcar Project is dead, but a project for a streetcar in Anaheim and beyond is still in the works, and is being driven by the county rather than the city, which frankly makes more sense from a regional transit perspective.

Sorry Hans, the OC Streetcar is an entirely different project miles away in Santa Ana. And it's far from a done deal too, which is why OCTA took that last $9 Million from the Anaheim project since the OC Streetcar needs to stay alive for a few years until it finds local and federal funding. http://www.octa.net/Projects-and-Programs/All-Projects/Rail-Projects/OC-Streetcar/

truecoat

Yeah, I decided to not post that one about lowering Harbor. Figured some heads would explode if I did.

It would be a smart way to approach it. They did the same thing at the Mall of America to build a dedicated pedestrian bridge and drop off during expansion. This would also fix the problem of moving the monorail beams in conflict with a bridge.

MOA before.jpg
MOA after.jpg

NobodyElse

It would be a smart way to approach it. They did the same thing at the Mall of America to build a dedicated pedestrian bridge and drop off during expansion. This would also fix the problem of moving the monorail beams in conflict with a bridge.

View attachment 157678 View attachment 157679
I don't mean to discount your idea (and we see that Disney actually used it to good effect on West St, now Disneyland Dr.) but I feel it would be a difficult application here. A few issues that come to mind are:
  • Just guessing, but there are probably major underground utilities along or under Harbor, which would be difficult (expensive) to mitigate
  • Shutting down Harbor for an extended period of time would not be ideal
  • Utilizing a slope profile similar to Disneyland Dr. would result in several hotels and perhaps McDonalds losing driveway access from Harbor to their properties
  • While it might seem advantageous to leave the monorail beam in its current configuration, re-routing it would result in more contiguous area for DCA expansion
Just a few thoughts off the top of my head, but reason enough to make me confident they'll proceed with their overpass plan.

EDIT PS: Don't get me wrong - in general and when possible I prefer crossings to be level for pedestrians / bicycles / (trains) while letting cars drive down under, or up over those folks. It just makes sense, but sometimes other mitigating factors make it impractical.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

cpiy5g7uiaadnk2-jpg.155374

obq3sz-disneyparkinglot2.gif

So, um, gang.... How do the cars get out at the end of the night?

Seriously, where is the exit for 8,000 cars after the fireworks?

That's a good and valid question. Part of me want's to think they've got this all figured out, but then I remember them having to re-paint the parking spaces in Mickey & Friends.

I think we're all clear on how we'll get into the structure to park. We'll follow the red lines you show above, then make another turn east to the toll booths. then another turn south, then west again, up ramps (as seen in the exterior rendering) to the appropriate level.

Exiting, as you suggest, seems unclear. One could assume a down-ramp situation similar to M&F, but it's (apparently) not shown in the materials we have so far. There is one aspect of the original "blueprint" image that I hadn't noticed before. I'll isolate the section here:

upload_2016-8-28_10-54-6.png

Assuming that "small solid circles" in this drawing represent pillars holding up a structure, do we dare to dream that we are seeing a multi-lane exit ramp? This ramp would presumably come out of the second or third level of the structure, depositing cars onto eastbound Disney Way/Manchester Ave. Motorists could then head straight into the southbound HOV freeway entrance, or go a bit further to the conventional freeway entrance. Note also the driveway to Clementine under the ramp. This could just be showing us the existing access path under the power lines, but (a long shot) it might be a ground level exit from the structure. It's hard to say, but it is colored-in (grey) and it is within the red dotted line (which seems to denote the boundary of the scope of this project). Ground level (or other) egress could also happen up on the north end if the structure, at the Arlo Way intersection, but I'll save that analysis/speculation for later.

Can anybody else squint and see what I'm maybe seeing?

Last edited:

choco choco

That's a good and valid question. Part of me want's to think they've got this all figured out, but then I remember them having to re-paint the parking spaces in Mickey & Friends.

I think we're all clear on how we'll get into the structure to park. We'll follow the red lines you show above, then make another turn east to the toll booths. then another turn south, then west again, up ramps (as seen in the exterior rendering) to the appropriate level.

Exiting, as you suggest, seems unclear. One could assume a down-ramp situation similar to M&F, but it's (apparently) not shown in the materials we have so far. There is one aspect of the original "blueprint" image that I hadn't noticed before. I'll isolate the section here:

View attachment 157803

Assuming that "small solid circles" in this drawing represent pillars holding up a structure, do we dare to dream that we are seeing a multi-lane exit ramp? This ramp would presumably come out of the second or third level of the structure, depositing cars onto eastbound Disney Way/Manchester Ave. Motorists could then head straight into the southbound HOV freeway entrance, or go a bit further to the conventional freeway entrance. Note also the driveway to Clementine under the ramp. This could just be showing us the existing access path under the power lines, but (a long shot) it might be a ground level exit from the structure. It's hard to say, but it is colored-in (grey) and it is within the red dotted line (which seems to denote the boundary of the scope of this project). Ground level (or other) egress could also happen up on the north end if the structure, at the Arlo Way intersection, but I'll save that analysis/speculation for later.

Can anybody else squint and see what I'm maybe seeing?

I saw it the first time I looked. Yes it is definitely the exit, allows easy access to both directions of the freeway. I had at first thought it was a tunnel, because all the levels above have to funnel down to the ground but avoid the entrance lanes (thus going underneath), but you're probably right that it is an overpass. Cheaper to build and if the ground floor is entrance lanes anyway there's no use for the ground floor to funnel into the exit.

NobodyElse

Okay kids, it's time for today's edition of Investigative Speculation. (Again, apologies in advance for the ham-handed zoom-capture + crayon-esque markup.)

upload_2016-8-29_11-2-40.png

I think we can all agree that the three rectangular figures (circled in orange) represent the ground level entrances to the up-ramps leading to the upper levels. (I had specific levels noted - 2,3 4,5 6,7 - in my PNG, but they didn't come acoss.) With that in mind, I draw your attention to the very similar figure circled in green. To me, it's not unreasonable to deduce that this represents the ground level termination of a down-ramp. More squinting and imagination will reveal that it appears to be two lanes that breaks out into three near the edge of the structure. (Beyond that, it looks like it's squeezed down to one to get between two medians, but I don't pretend to understand that part of the drawing at this point in time.)

This logically leads me to believe that we're seeing the end of a full top to bottom ramp (servicing levels 7-2), with a similar configuration to what's used in M&F. This could be used in addition to the curved ramp to the south. They might also be saving it for when they expand the structure to the USCIS plot of land. When that construction is complete, this ramp would be roughly in the middle of the total parking structure, again mimicking the M&F exit configuration.

Or, I could be completely wrong. :)

NobodyElse

Would the USCIS parking structure be connected or a completely separate unit?
Disclaiming my lack of real insider information in this area, I would anticipate "connected". They would build it literally right next to the existing structure, eliminating a few half-walls to allow thru passage. Looking at the M&F structure from above, they would end up more alike than I previously imagined.
upload_2016-8-29_12-25-40.png

upload_2016-8-29_12-26-31.png

Top picture is east edge of M&F down-ramp exit area, bottom is west. Note the expansion strip in both pictures. The eventually conjoined structures could wind up looking much like this.

TP2000

Okay kids, it's time for today's edition of Investigative Speculation. (Again, apologies in advance for the ham-handed zoom-capture + crayon-esque markup.)

View attachment 157984

I think we can all agree that the three rectangular figures (circled in orange) represent the ground level entrances to the up-ramps leading to the upper levels. (I had specific levels noted - 2,3 4,5 6,7 - in my PNG, but they didn't come acoss.) With that in mind, I draw your attention to the very similar figure circled in green. To me, it's not unreasonable to deduce that this represents the ground level termination of a down-ramp. More squinting and imagination will reveal that it appears to be two lanes that breaks out into three near the edge of the structure. (Beyond that, it looks like it's squeezed down to one to get between two medians, but I don't pretend to understand that part of the drawing at this point in time.)

This logically leads me to believe that we're seeing the end of a full top to bottom ramp (servicing levels 7-2), with a similar configuration to what's used in M&F. This could be used in addition to the curved ramp to the south. They might also be saving it for when they expand the structure to the USCIS plot of land. When that construction is complete, this ramp would be roughly in the middle of the total parking structure, again mimicking the M&F exit configuration.

You've done it again. Those ramps weren't clear until you zoomed and circled them with your magic crayons. But I think you've discovered exactly what they are, the up and down ramps leading to exits. The one on the north side is kind of odd because it leads to Manchester, which will apparently become a much larger street than its current two-lane configuration.

Thank you again for sleuthing all this for us.

NobodyElse

Those ramps weren't clear until you zoomed and circled them with your magic crayons.

Yes, for this project their plans are unclear because quite literally (this copy of) their plans are unclear. ;-)

A years supply of virtual churros to the first person to provide me with a high-resolution, uncropped version of the originally referenced drawing. :)

Last edited:

Stevek

View attachment 157984

I think you're right on...but that still has me wondering about the ramp on the bottom right possibly being another exit ramp.

NobodyElse

A years supply of virtual churros to the first person to provide me with a high-resolution, uncropped version of the originally referenced drawing.

By the way...
Why high-resolution? That should be obvious by now.
Why uncropped? Some reasons:

upload_2016-8-29_13-39-36.png

(Besides showing us where cars will make a left-hand turn into the new structure) we see that red, dashed line drop down out of the image. That means the project will effect Disney Way more to the east than it does to the west. But what are we missing?

upload_2016-8-29_13-45-22.png

The thing circled in orange appears to be the edge of a median. This will probably help divert eastbound traffic to the left of that exit ramp, while funneling right-hand turn traffic onto Clementine, but it would be nice to see for sure. (EDIT: Upon closer inspection, this is likely showing the actual center divider median. More on this later.) And there's that pesky red line again, extending out of frame to the right telling us there's more to the project than what we see.

upload_2016-8-29_13-52-35.png

Again with those disappearing red lines. Something's happening at the Arlo intersection/cul de sac, but we just don't know to what extent.

There are more examples, but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom