New disney update and others

lt94

Original Poster
"After nearly two years largely focused on Universal Orlando and Harry Potter, 2012 may be the year that Walt Disney World wrests back the spotlight from its smaller theme-park rival.

Two of Disney World's biggest capital projects in recent memory are expected to begin bearing fruit this year: the expansion of Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom, which analysts have estimated will cost $425 million, and the sweeping technology initiative dubbed "Next Generation Experience," projected to cost at least $1 billion.

The first phase of the Fantasyland project is scheduled to debut early in the year. Dubbed "Storybook Circus," it will include Dumbo the Flying Elephant, the popular toddler's ride that has been relocated and expanded, and the re-themed Great Goofini children's coaster, formerly known as Goofy's Barnstomer.

Following in the latter half of the year will be a forested area that will include some of the Fantasyland project's anchor additions — Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid, an indoor ride based on the 1989 animated film, and Be Our Guest, a Beauty and the Beast-themed restaurant.

Other parts of the Fantasyland expansion — including an indoor, family roller coaster based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarves — are expected to open sometime in 2013.

The timeline is less concrete for Next Generation Experience, or "NextGen," a many-faceted technology project. But after testing some concepts in its parks during the past year — from interactive ride queues to turnstile-free entry gates — Disney plans to introduce more NextGen systems in 2012.

Disney executives have said key goals of "NextGen," which has been in development for several years, are to make its crowded parks easier to navigate and more appealing to a generation of consumers increasingly in search of personalized experiences. A centerpiece of the overall project will be a new reservations systems that allows guests to reserve ride and show times — and just about every other component of their vacation — before they ever leave home.

The Fantasyland and NextGen projects are two of the biggest capital projects at Disney World since the resort's fourth theme park, Disney's Animal Kingdom, opened in 1998. And they could go a long way toward helping Disney restore its pre-recession profit margins, which shriveled amid deep discounting.

That's what investors are banking on following a huge surge in capital spending across all of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. In addition to Fantasyland and NextGen, projects include multiyear expansions of Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney Cruise Line, both of which are scheduled to be completed in 2012.

This year "should be the year that Disney's large investments start to pay off — logically, over the second half of the year, as new projects come online," Michael Nathanson, an analyst with Nomura Securities, wrote in a recent research note.

Disney World won't have the spotlight entirely to itself, though. Both Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando will also add attractions this year.

Universal's marquee addition for 2012 will be a new ride based on "Despicable Me," the 2010 animated film. A 3D simulator experience, the attraction is being repurposed out of the closed Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast in Universal Studios Florida.

Universal is hoping the new ride helps draw people back to its original theme park, which has been overlooked by many visitors since the June 2010 debut of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal's second theme park, Islands of Adventure.

Universal won't leave Islands untouched in 2012, though. Also coming is an upgrade of that park's Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, the innovative "dark ride" that remains one of the most sophisticated attractions in the industry more than 10 years after its opening. Much like Despicable Me in Universal Studios, the retooled Spider-Man ride is supposed to help ease some of the pressure on Wizarding World by drawing more traffic to the opposite side of the park.

Universal hasn't said when either project will be complete, though sometime in the spring is the best bet.

Early spring is when SeaWorld Orlando plans to unveil TurtleTrek, a first-of-its-kind, domed theater in which 3D projections of sea turtles will swim in front, above and behind guests.

The attraction, being built at the park's former Manatee Rescue pavilion, will also include a pair of aquariums — one filled with hundreds of freshwater fish and manatees, the other with more than 1,500 saltwater fish and more than a dozen sea turtles.

SeaWorld is also spending more money on Discovery Cove, its limited-admission boutique park, which company officials say had a record year in 2011 after opening the saltwater environment known as Grand Reef. This spring, SeaWorld will add a freshwater area, dubbed Freshwater Oasis, that will include flooded trails going through otter and monkey habitats.

Still, for both of Orlando's smaller theme-park operators, the 2012 additions are just the appetizers to main courses that are still baking in the kitchen.

In 2013, SeaWorld will unveil a new, themed "land" based on the frozen continent of Antarctica. Company officials say the project will include a first-of-its-kind ride in which guests experience the rugged landscape through the eyes of a penguin, as well as themed retail areas.And though it hasn't announced a date yet, Universal has confirmed that it has begun work on a Harry Potter expansion. There is widespread speculation that the resort plans to use the area in Universal Studios once occupied by Jaws, which was closed for good earlier this month, to build a London-themed counterpoint to Islands' Wizarding World, which features Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade village."

as per local news

menamechris

Interesting story. Although I don't necessarily agree. I don't think people are antsy or too terribly excited about Fantasyland. Will people enjoy it when they come? Sure. Will it be beautiful? Sure. Are people booking trips, and are Orlando area hotels booking up over it? Don't think so. I think the new Fantasyland will be a great thing people will want to experience and see....when they come down to see the Harry Potter expansion... Just my opinion; we will see soon enough...

GrumpyFan

Kinda have to agree with menamechris the Fantasyland Expansion really only nets two more attractions in the end, which isn't slated for completion until 2013 or 14. I think the Little Mermaid will have a medium draw when it opens, as will the double Dumbo, but I'm guessing that will drop off after the grand opening. The biggest draw will likely be the new Seven Dwarves coaster, but again that's not planned for this year. The Next Gen stuff, while it may make guests happier overall, will have little to no effect on attendance. So, in general, I see WDW struggling to make the same numbers they did last year, especially considering HP is still drawing a lot of people, plus the opening of Lego Land a little farther south.

pax_65

A centerpiece of the overall project will be a new reservations systems that allows guests to reserve ride and show times — and just about every other component of their vacation — before they ever leave home.

If I don't reserve every aspect of my vacation 6 months in advance, then what? Do I just sit on a park bench and watch other people have magical experiences?

Or do I have to reserve the park bench 6 months out also?

I'm usually not one to be upset by change, but this one makes me very nervous.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What is the source for this article? Because a lot of what I read has been covered here before....

NewfieFan

If I don't reserve every aspect of my vacation 6 months in advance, then what? Do I just sit on a park bench and watch other people have magical experiences?

Or do I have to reserve the park bench 6 months out also?

I'm usually not one to be upset by change, but this one makes me very nervous.

Why does everyone go into panic mode when they hear this stuff!?!

I really think that's being a bit extreme, don't you? I highly doubt it will ever get to that point. I think it's going to be the kind of service that for those who use it it will make their trip a little better (if I could get my FP for Toy Story Mania without setting foot in the park it would make my day) and for those that don't use it or know anything about it they likely won't notice a thing!

209vaughn

I like the positive summary of all the capital expansions across all the Disny Resort properties. But I'm suprised it didn't mention the Avatar expansion. I guess it's only referring to projects now coming online.

John

Albeit that the Fanasyland exspansion looks like a nice addition, I agree with other posters that it isnt going to have people lining up for blocks wanting to experience it. I am certian none of us know exactly what the new "next-gen" technology will entail but for me personally I dont get it. A BILLION! dollars? You know what you can do with a BILLION dollars. I am no Tech junkie or even claim to know even how this laptop works but I think that a couple of mainframes and some software could just about do it. A BILLION dollars? How about spending that money on the true Magic. How about the return of the LOW or the torches at Poly. The small things we miss that have been taking away in small increments.

Wait....how about investing in the CM's. Give some raises. Boost moral and How about putting some of those millions into the resorts. Make the deluxes (which I do not stay at...cant afford it.) true deluxes by "uping" the amenities. A BILLION dollars....seriously. How does "next-gen" help locals and Ap'ers who visit on spur of the moment. And how will "next-gen" make me want to visit? yes...I know we really dont know yet. But for a Billion dollars I would need to see the WOW factor. Make no bones about it, we will be paying for this technology. Please excuse me for being a skeptic but for this laymen I just dont get it.

lighteningqueen

MY 2 cents lets get more TS restaurants in DHS, AK and MK. There just isnt enough places and good ones at that. Lets build or use some of the vacant spots and get some good food in there NOT expensive just good. Like Frontierland why isnt there a home cooking place like Chicken fried steaks fried chicken,get my drift. DHS is pathetic on TS Not ALL want buffets like Brown derby, H&V not so good at that. AND taking away Mickey and Minnies HOUSE's. Thats just awful. Where will they live what will they do. Thats why we have WDW and Disneyland all based on those two people whom we all love and go to see each and every year. If I have to schedule anything like rides etc. I will stop going.It's just not fair.Talking about mad people not everyone knows about these boards or discounts etc they just go. This would put a stop to just going on a whim..

piglet66

I don't mind the increase of technology, but, I do agree that with the increase of technology we are slowly loosing the small little intimate things that has always made Disney..Disney. Fastpasses have done nothing but increase standby lines and make people wait longer. I don't want to have to plan out my days while on vacation 6 months ahead of time. I don't like being told where I have to be and when. Sadly I see Disney slowly morphining into any other theme park that is out there.

HMF

Meh, this next gen crap won't bring WDW up to the level of Wizarding World or it's cousin in Anaheim. As a matter of fact judging by the new Haunted Mansion Disaster Queue it may bring it down a notch. Also Micro planning everything in advance will make it less fun and spontaneous.

CountryBearFan

MY 2 cents lets get more TS restaurants in DHS, AK and MK. There just isnt enough places and good ones at that. Lets build or use some of the vacant spots and get some good food in there NOT expensive just good. Like Frontierland why isnt there a home cooking place like Chicken fried steaks fried chicken,get my drift. DHS is pathetic on TS Not ALL want buffets like Brown derby, H&V not so good at that. AND taking away Mickey and Minnies HOUSE's. Thats just awful. Where will they live what will they do. Thats why we have WDW and Disneyland all based on those two people whom we all love and go to see each and every year. If I have to schedule anything like rides etc. I will stop going.It's just not fair.Talking about mad people not everyone knows about these boards or discounts etc they just go. This would put a stop to just going on a whim..

I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of people morning the loss of Mickey and Minnie's Country Houses! :hurl:

CountryBearFan

Meh, this next gen crap won't bring WDW up to the level of Wizarding World or it's cousin in Anaheim. As a matter of fact judging by the new Haunted Mansion Disaster Queue it may bring it down a notch. Also Micro planning everything in advance will make it less fun and spontaneous.

Congratulations on being completely wrong once again. :lookaroun

disney fan 13

Pretty much

I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of people morning the loss of Mickey and Minnie's Country Houses! :hurl:

Why? Instead of having a Toontown where little kids can run around and have fun ( when I was 3-5 I never left Toontown)we get a new dumbo

Congratulations on being completely wrong once again. :lookaroun

Congradulations on being a TDO do no wrong poster yet again.

Have you ever been to any other theme park outside WDW. Because I can not wait to go to Disneyland next spring as well as UNI Orlando, will I go to WDW yes, will I only go to WDW no

MickeyMind

I completely agree with most that has been said here. I still dont understand the whole premise behind next gen. The more I hear about it though, the more I think this is more for disney's control, then for guest enjoyment.

The additions to pooh and haunted mansion queues were really unnecessary. These are just more effects that mgmt will (but most likely will not) have to keep maintained in the future. The new sorcers in the kingdom game or whatever is called might be a nice time-killer but it is not going to be that" new awesome thing" that people just have to experience.

I too am completely underwhelmed with the fle.. There is just so much more that could've been done with it. I mean where are all the rides?! they are only adding 1 more ride with this whole expansion! Technically they arent adding anything if you count the removal of skyway and 20k subs.

They had enough space to really make this area shine. Where are all the rides? People come to the parks and return to the parks for the rides! They dont come back because they added some landscaping, they dont come back because there is a new restaurant (no matter how beautiful batb restaurant might end up being, which btw good luck trying to get a reservation there anyway, its not the draw that they need)

They shouldve used this area and really built up their collection of dark rides, how is the mk bigger than dl yet dl has more rides? I never understood that. MK should have the best of the best. For being the number 1 theme park in the world it should be the best of all the dl style parks.

They shouldve kept toontown and expanded it to atleast include a ride and or show. They shouldve added the pinocchio ride, alice in wonderland ride, an aladdin or other dark ride.

Disney needs to get back into the business of making rides, they don't need to be the most advanced rides, especially in fantasyland, but they just need some good rides. It would be nice if they can create some really advanced ride systems, and really awesome and creative rides like they used to, but at this point just gimme some animatronics and a slow moving vehicle and I will be happy.

Btw I completely agree with all those who hate the fact that they removed mickey and minnie's houses.. It WAS unneccessary, especially for the trade off that we are getting, which is basically nothing but an extra dumbo spinner.

zooey

I completely agree with most that has been said here. I still dont understand the whole premise behind next gen. The more I hear about it though, the more I think this is more for disney's control, then for guest enjoyment.

The additions to pooh and haunted mansion queues were really unnecessary. These are just more effects that mgmt will (but most likely will not) have to keep maintained in the future. The new sorcers in the kingdom game or whatever is called might be a nice time-killer but it is not going to be that" new awesome thing" that people just have to experience.

I too am completely underwhelmed with the fle.. There is just so much more that could've been done with it. I mean where are all the rides?! they are only adding 1 more ride with this whole expansion! Technically they arent adding anything if you count the removal of skyway and 20k subs.

They had enough space to really make this area shine. Where are all the rides? People come to the parks and return to the parks for the rides! They dont come back because they added some landscaping, they dont come back because there is a new restaurant (no matter how beautiful batb restaurant might end up being, which btw good luck trying to get a reservation there anyway, its not the draw that they need)

They shouldve used this area and really built up their collection of dark rides, how is the mk bigger than dl yet dl has more rides? I never understood that. MK should have the best of the best. For being the number 1 theme park in the world it should be the best of all the dl style parks.

They shouldve kept toontown and expanded it to atleast include a ride and or show. They shouldve added the pinocchio ride, alice in wonderland ride, an aladdin or other dark ride.

Disney needs to get back into the business of making rides, they don't need to be the most advanced rides, especially in fantasyland, but they just need some good rides. It would be nice if they can create some really advanced ride systems, and really awesome and creative rides like they used to, but at this point just gimme some animatronics and a slow moving vehicle and I will be happy.

Btw I completely agree with all those who hate the fact that they removed mickey and minnie's houses.. It WAS unneccessary, especially for the trade off that we are getting, which is basically nothing but an extra dumbo spinner.

I come back for new landscaping...

WDW1974

So much negativity ... yet so true. Makes me so depressed. I think I'm going to DL this week after all.

~First Class Upgrade? Check!~

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The fact that Avatarland isn't mentioned at all in the article (especially after all the hoopla surrounding their announcement) is a little disconcerting. That, coupled with the fact that they've said nothing about it since the official announcement, makes me think those plans are being revised.

disney fan 13

The fact that Avatarland isn't mentioned at all in the article (especially after all the hoopla surrounding their announcement) is a little disconcerting. That, coupled with the fact that they've said nothing about it since the official announcement, makes me think those plans are being revised.

Gotta hope and pray they scrap it and do something with animals ( maybe not a new land but a DCA style refurb)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom