New disney update and others

WDW1974

The fact that Avatarland isn't mentioned at all in the article (especially after all the hoopla surrounding their announcement) is a little disconcerting. That, coupled with the fact that they've said nothing about it since the official announcement, makes me think those plans are being revised.

When you see REAL plans (not those massive paintings that show nothing but blurs) followed by actual construction (no, land clearing/dirt piling doesn't count) then (and only then) would I count on Avatarland being built.

And since a little birdie told me the Weatherman might be inclined to step away from Disney as soon as late next year, any delays in the above should give one reason for pause.

~Thin Mints are Yummy!~

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
When you see REAL plans (not those massive paintings that show nothing but blurs) followed by actual construction (no, land clearing/dirt piling doesn't count) then (and only then) would I count on Avatarland being built.

And since a little birdie told me the Weatherman might be inclined to step away from Disney as soon as late next year, any delays in the above should give one reason for pause.

~Thin Mints are Yummy!~

I agree, which is why it gave me pause.

ctxak98

I AM SO SICK OF THE NEGATIVITY!!!!!!!!!. PEOPLE STOP! seriously. Disney is just trying to go in a different direction. If you think you can do it any better then go ahead be my guest.... TRY AND PLEASE EVERYONE OUT THERE, and let me know how that works out for you.

The next gen stuff I agree will not bring in guest anymore but Its what disney does best (DETAIL) and besides the harry potter world(which personally I think is toooo cramped) is the only spot in universal with detail and a good story or theme.....and they didnt even come up with it themselves. They had 7 books and movies to BASE it off of. So excuse me for being a bit harsh but lately its been so negative

Now the FLE is going to be spectacular. almost everyone can see its not just going to be landscaping. TOON TOWN was the biggest waste of space IDC how much you loved seeing mickeys or minnies house, its was one giant waste of an autograph space. They can put that somewhere else. DUMBO which is a very popular kids atttraction is getting an expansion to help with the flow of the line. BUT with adding new elements like carnival games so your not bored just waiting. the little mermaid ride and the coaster will be both awesome and the be our guest rest will be probably the best resteraunt in the whole park.

Last but Not least AVATRLAND has every bit to do with animals as the beastly kingdom. Both lands have mythical or made up creatures that never existed....im sorry but Im having trouble seeing what the problem is with adding this to animal kingdom:lookaroun....REAL, EXTINCT, IMAGINARY!...what the park should be about....and with EVEREST in the dumps IM HAPPY ABOUT THIS. atleast its something. AND DISNEY IS THE ONE WHO WILL MAKE IT COME TO LIFE. Call me crazy but the visuals in avatar are incredible, and I can see disney doing a lot with it.

So im sorry If I come off snappy but its not the end of the world. Change is bound to happen. We just have to stay positive and look forward to the future!
-Theres a great big beautiful tomorrow!:sohappy:

yeti

The next gen stuff I agree will not bring in guest anymore but Its what disney does best (DETAIL) and besides the harry potter world(which personally I think is toooo cramped) is the only spot in universal with detail and a good story or theme.....and they didnt even come up with it themselves. They had 7 books and movies to BASE it off of. So excuse me for being a bit harsh but lately its been so negative

I don't think this is a very good argument...the majority of the Fantasyland expansion is based on environments from the movies as well (Belle's village, Beast's castle, Prince Eric's castle, etc.), as will Avatarland if it comes to fruition.

I don't mean this as an attack; I agree that there has been lots of negativity around here as well, but I think that some of it is deserved.

Fable McCloud

I just wish they would refurb the rides that need it rather than build unnecessary fancy queues :)coughHauntedMansioncough:). They could use a lot of that money to fix up the stuff that's falling apart, and perhaps pay their CMs better. Just sayin'.

menamechris

I AM SO SICK OF THE NEGATIVITY!!!!!!!!!. PEOPLE STOP! seriously. Disney is just trying to go in a different direction. If you think you can do it any better then go ahead be my guest.... TRY AND PLEASE EVERYONE OUT THERE, and let me know how that works out for you.

Now the FLE is going to be spectacular. almost everyone can see its not just going to be landscaping. TOON TOWN was the biggest waste of space IDC how much you loved seeing mickeys or minnies house, its was one giant waste of an autograph space. They can put that somewhere else. DUMBO which is a very popular kids atttraction is getting an expansion to help with the flow of the line. BUT with adding new elements like carnival games so your not bored just waiting. the little mermaid ride and the coaster will be both awesome and the be our guest rest will be probably the best resteraunt in the whole park.

Last but Not least AVATRLAND has every bit to do with animals as the beastly kingdom. Both lands have mythical or made up creatures that never existed....im sorry but Im having trouble seeing what the problem is with adding this to animal kingdom:lookaroun....REAL, EXTINCT, IMAGINARY!...what the park should be about....and with EVEREST in the dumps IM HAPPY ABOUT THIS. atleast its something. AND DISNEY IS THE ONE WHO WILL MAKE IT COME TO LIFE. Call me crazy but the visuals in avatar are incredible, and I can see disney doing a lot with it.

So im sorry If I come off snappy but its not the end of the world. Change is bound to happen. We just have to stay positive and look forward to the future!

I think this gave me a headache.. Why are you yelling? If you are pleased with the direction things have been going at WDW, no one is trying to spoil the magic for you...honest.

bullsforthewin

Kinda have to agree with menamechris the Fantasyland Expansion really only nets two more attractions in the end, which isn't slated for completion until 2013 or 14. I think the Little Mermaid will have a medium draw when it opens, as will the double Dumbo, but I'm guessing that will drop off after the grand opening. The biggest draw will likely be the new Seven Dwarves coaster, but again that's not planned for this year. The Next Gen stuff, while it may make guests happier overall, will have little to no effect on attendance. So, in general, I see WDW struggling to make the same numbers they did last year, especially considering HP is still drawing a lot of people, plus the opening of Lego Land a little farther south.

WDW had no new additions in 2011 yet attendance was near the same if not a little higher than 2010...what makes you think 2012 will have a dip?

bullsforthewin

Albeit that the Fanasyland exspansion looks like a nice addition, I agree with other posters that it isnt going to have people lining up for blocks wanting to experience it. I am certian none of us know exactly what the new "next-gen" technology will entail but for me personally I dont get it. A BILLION! dollars? You know what you can do with a BILLION dollars. I am no Tech junkie or even claim to know even how this laptop works but I think that a couple of mainframes and some software could just about do it. A BILLION dollars? How about spending that money on the true Magic. How about the return of the LOW or the torches at Poly. The small things we miss that have been taking away in small increments.

Wait....how about investing in the CM's. Give some raises. Boost moral and How about putting some of those millions into the resorts. Make the deluxes (which I do not stay at...cant afford it.) true deluxes by "uping" the amenities. A BILLION dollars....seriously. How does "next-gen" help locals and Ap'ers who visit on spur of the moment. And how will "next-gen" make me want to visit? yes...I know we really dont know yet. But for a Billion dollars I would need to see the WOW factor. Make no bones about it, we will be paying for this technology. Please excuse me for being a skeptic but for this laymen I just dont get it.

I agree to an extent...the resort issues though...most of the deluxe offer amenities that suit its 4 diamond rating...no Disney resort would be able to get a 5 diamond since that would mean it has to be gated off, have its own golf course, etc. etc.

bullsforthewin

Pretty much

Why? Instead of having a Toontown where little kids can run around and have fun ( when I was 3-5 I never left Toontown)we get a new dumbo

Congradulations on being a TDO do no wrong poster yet again.

Have you ever been to any other theme park outside WDW. Because I can not wait to go to Disneyland next spring as well as UNI Orlando, will I go to WDW yes, will I only go to WDW no

A person attacks disney...in the right...a person calls out a doom and gloomer and automatically he is a "TDO do no wrong poster" Please try to grow out of this petty attacks.

bullsforthewin

Get ready to be attacked because you dare have an opinion other than the doom and gloomers...because here if you dont hate everything Disney does that means you are an agent of TDO

DisneyparkFreak

I personally dont think the nextgen stuff is terrible. From a business perspective it makes sense. Disney wants to make sure they are running at the highest efficiency. They need to be lean... Company's these days dont look at the consumers experience in the same way. Six-Sigma (which Disney uses) doesn't really look at that, but how a company can take the resources it has and makes them work smarter for the shareholders. You have to always remember that Disney is a publically traded company and by law it has an obligation to return profits to its shareholders.

Look at attractions first... There is an inherent cost to running the ride which requires an X amount of guests riding with limited empty seats. So for example if BTM cost $5000 per train they want to make sure the train is full because it still costs them the same 5K if its empty or not. This is where the nextgen stuff helps them. If disney knows they will have full trains then the money they are spending is being spent more efficiently. Food and merchandising is no different really. Thats why merchandise has become more generic (they can buy more cheaper) and Food has become more... well the same everywhere.

Disney doesnt consider FLE to be a gift to its fans, its an investment. Capacity will increase allowing more people to pay $100 for a one-day ticket, it will increase food revenue all around the park not just in the expansion area, and it will increase merchandise sales. Netgen will help keep everything in check and more align their business.

Right now WDW doesnt need to add a multimillion dollar WOW factor to attract guests, Universal and seaworld do. People will always come to WDW, UNI and SW need to create competitive advantages, however I will argue that Disney needs to remember theirs. Disney knows their market very well and appeals to them very well (thats why we go every year), as the market changes they will too hence what you are seeing.

Just my 2 cents. Do I love whats going on... Personally no. However, I understand it from their point of view.

wserratore1963

THE NEW FANTASYLAND will be a much larger draw then people think. WDW will always be a more experienced driven park. Harry Potter may be exciting and technically fantastic but I doubt it will stand the test of time (meaning decades) Furthermore a decade or so from now UNI will have to compete with WDW on the whole MARVEL thing. Moreover the entire "next gen" idea will truly invigorate the masses for years to come. WDW has always outdrawn UNI and the like and always will.

wserratore1963

:D

:D:sohappy::D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was going to say it sounds like a PR fed news piece.

FLE will be.... Nice.... But hardly headline grabbing. The worlds flagship park crying out for more capacity and having to wait nearly 20 years to use a prime piece of inpark land, with a total net gain of no attractions, born out of a mis planned and Ill advised project which is still in overall park enhancement, guest space and overall capacity less than Tomorrowlands 74-5 expansion.

That billion on NG could have gone so far in other places instead. Fixing the things that were broken instead of what wasnt broken to begin with...

IMHO

haveyoumetmark

Oh please. Disney is doing everything in their power to not spend money on game-changing attractions. There needs to be some realism injected into the heads of the parks. They are resting while everyone else is moving forward. An emergency meeting needs to be called and they need to cut the nonsense.

Universal is continuing to improve and build more... waterpark, golf course, spidey update, despicable me, HP2, kids zone, etc and this is all after the runaway success of WWoHP. Disney is doing upkeep... the FLE should have been completed years ago. It's subpar and totally necessary - nothing special. Avatar was a desperate, reactionary move which was not too well-received. Nothing else?

Disney definitely needs that WOW factor after nearly a decade of languishing and stagnating parks. This will be the first year I don't renew my AP. I love Disney as much as the next guy but I'm not going to stand there and pretend to enjoy Walt DVC World. Disney practically invented this business and always set the standard. Now it appears like they are playing a game of catch-up with as little effort as possible.

Something needs to change, and quick... otherwise... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxBfukKmATo

bullsforthewin

Oh please. Disney is doing everything in their power to not spend money on game-changing attractions. There needs to be some realism injected into the heads of the parks. They are resting while everyone else is moving forward. An emergency meeting needs to be called and they need to cut the nonsense.

Universal is continuing to improve and build more... waterpark, golf course, spidey update, despicable me, HP2, kids zone, etc and this is all after the runaway success of WWoHP. Disney is doing upkeep... the FLE should have been completed years ago. It's subpar and totally necessary - nothing special. Avatar was a desperate, reactionary move which was not too well-received. Nothing else?

Disney definitely needs that WOW factor after nearly a decade of languishing and stagnating parks. This will be the first year I don't renew my AP. I love Disney as much as the next guy but I'm not going to stand there and pretend to enjoy Walt DVC World. Disney practically invented this business and always set the standard. Now it appears like they are playing a game of catch-up with as little effort as possible.

Something needs to change, and quick... otherwise... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxBfukKmATo

You do understand that Disney has MANY different facets to deal with and it cant just drop money on building new attractions that might not have universal appeal. You also have to remember that just because YOU dont like something that does not mean everyone else hates it to. Back to your armchair CEOing, what multinational corporation do you run?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom