New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

CM's manning attractions should not have to make DAS calls--it should all be done ahead of time by. guest services. Issue a pass stating what accommodations guest is entitled too
This is what I have been saying. Plus who wants to have to explain their needs to every ride cast member to see if they will qualify for RTQ or the other one? The lines to speak to a cast member at every ride gets long already with people setting up rider swap, DAS, or just answering questions. Now if most previous DAS users need to waste time just to ask the cast member about THIS ride's procedures, that is going to get old really quick. I doubt that Disney is going to add more cast members at the ride entrances to help these people.
And again, no one should have to describe their needs in full hearing of other guests.

Chi84

Premium Member
And again, no one should have to describe their needs in full hearing of other guests.
I haven’t been following all the sites but I haven’t seen any reports of people having to describe needs other than their need to possibly leave the line. Then they’re told how to leave and return based on the particular ride and the number of people in the party.

ConfettiCupcake

This is what I have been saying. Plus who wants to have to explain their needs to every ride cast member to see if they will qualify for RTQ or the other one? The lines to speak to a cast member at every ride gets long already with people setting up rider swap, DAS, or just answering questions. Now if most previous DAS users need to waste time just to ask the cast member about THIS ride's procedures, that is going to get old really quick. I doubt that Disney is going to add more cast members at the ride entrances to help these people.

The only thing CMs at the ride need to know is that you left the line and need to meet back up with your party, or you have a medical need and may need to leave the line at some point (and what should you do to handle it). They don’t need details. They aren’t approving or denying people, they are simply assisting per their procedures. This has been in practice already for years at certain attractions with certain physical needs and having to tell the CMs what you need assistance with.

RTQ as far as we can tell is for the times where logistics and party size play a role and there is nobody in the queue to return to. Not really needs based, beyond telling them you’re a party with 1 adult.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Compliance while addressing any individuals need for potential accommodation is not required to be instantaneous. That is one line you may not bypass.

Splash4eva

I think a huge part of the issue is that so many now say their medical issues are disabilities but funny how it only applies to their time at Disney. This is why the program was so over used and it was definitely affecting how non DAS people were being able to utilize the rides. If the average Disney guest only gets to take part in 4" good attractions" a day than DAS users should only get the same and also not a DAS for multiple visits to the same ride in a day.
Personally i dont know how its possible to only get in 4 good attractions a day. Also define good? You can argue some parks dont have 4 good attractions in total. As ive stated. I literally just came home. I do have DAS i was literally able to ride almost everything via Genie+/ILL

Chi84

Premium Member
The only thing CMs at the ride need to know is that you left the line and need to meet back up with your party, or you have a medical need and may need to leave the line at some point (and what should you do to handle it). They don’t need details. They aren’t approving or denying people, they are simply assisting per their procedures. This has been in practice already for years at certain attractions with certain physical needs and having to tell the CMs what you need assistance with.

RTQ as far as we can tell is for the times where logistics and party size play a role and there is nobody in the queue to return to. Not really needs based, beyond telling them you’re a party with 1 adult.
Correct. I believe at one point there was a belief that there is a separate system called RTQ that functions like DAS except it was given out at the ride entrance.

From what I’ve seen, that doesn’t exist. The expectation is you can be accommodated by a process that lets you leave the line and then return to it. Exceptions are what you stated.

ConfettiCupcake

Exactly. I dont get why if someone gets denied they should be given something indicating xyz …

Likely because as far as we know they are accommodating everybody who leaves or needs to leave a line, and the accommodation is based on factors like their riding party size, crowd levels, location in the queue they left from, queue layout, and things of that nature that aren’t determined in advance or consistent from attraction to attraction.

jaklgreen

I know the everyone's needs are different. But there are people who will have to explain that they are having issues, flair ups, meltdowns, etc where they have to leave the line for quite a bit of time. Is there going to be a time limit on how long you can be gone from the queue? If there is this type of issue, will your whole party be able to leave with you and then all return together?
It is not as black and white as some like to think because there are a lot of different medical disabilities that don't fit this mold.
So yeah, someone might end up having to explain all of this to the cast member in full hearing of others.

ConfettiCupcake

I know the everyone's needs are different. But there are people who will have to explain that they are having issues, flair ups, meltdowns, etc where they have to leave the line for quite a bit of time. Is there going to be a time limit on how long you can be gone from the queue? If there is this type of issue, will your whole party be able to leave with you and then all return together?
It is not as black and white as some like to think because there are a lot of different medical disabilities that don't fit this mold.
So yeah, someone might end up having to explain all of this to the cast member in full hearing of others.

‘I need to leave for medical reasons (or leave out the medical reasons part) and will not be back before my family boards the attraction, how can I be accommodated?’

We have no indication the CMs need the actual details nor want to encourage guests to explain them.

jaklgreen

Compliance while addressing any individuals need for potential accommodation is not required to be instantaneous. That is one line you may not bypass.
I am not saying that it should be "instantaneous". But having additional wait time just to get the disability access information that you need for every single ride is putting an additional burden on those with disabilities. Do you think that it is reasonable to have to wait in line to speak to the cast member about accommodations and then wait in the standby line? Wouldn't that put a bad taste in your mouth if you had to waste all of that time before you could actually get in the line all because you have a legitimate disability? How is that equal access?
This is part of what that lawsuit is about. They are claiming that those with disabilities have to go through a greater hassle and wasted time that no one else has to go through.

jaklgreen

Correct. I believe at one point there was a belief that there is a separate system called RTQ that functions like DAS except it was given out at the ride entrance.

From what I’ve seen, that doesn’t exist. The expectation is you can be accommodated by a process that lets you leave the line and then return to it. Exceptions are what you stated.
So what are they doing for solo travelers?

jaklgreen

‘I need to leave for medical reasons (or leave out the medical reasons part) and will not be back before my family boards the attraction, how can I be accommodated?’

We have no indication the CMs need the actual details nor want to encourage guests to explain them.
That makes more sense if they are not offering the RTQ, as was posted. Because the reports made it sound as if the cast member at each ride was going to decide who "qualified" for it. I am still waiting to hear what they are going to do about solo travelers or those who are with small children/are the caretaker and there is no one in the line to go back to.

Chi84

Premium Member
That makes more sense if they are not offering the RTQ, as was posted. Because the reports made it sound as if the cast member at each ride was going to decide who "qualified" for it. I am still waiting to hear what they are going to do about solo travelers or those who are with small children/are the caretaker and there is no one in the line to go back to.
I’m sure we’ll be hearing reports soon. Right now the direction is to speak to a cast member.

NotTheOne

Do you mean like they did for years when it had to be done in person at guest services?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom