New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
to clarify - “This” = companion seating in a theatre.

The ADA law requires companion seats next to designated wheelchair spaces. This is so the guest in the wheelchair may sit with a companion, just like other guests enjoying the show.
Right. So Disney is required to allow a disabled person to enjoy an attraction such as a ride or show with a companion. They do this. I’ve never heard anyone complain about being separated in rides or shows.

That case upheld a ruling that a theater is required to hold companion seats next to their accessible seats until 10 minutes before the movie starts.

TrainsOfDisney

Right. So Disney is required to allow a disabled person to enjoy an attraction such as a ride or show with a companion. They do this. I’ve never heard anyone complain about being separated in rides or shows.

That case upheld a ruling that a theater is required to hold companion seats next to their accessible seats until 10 minutes before the movie starts.
Yes, I agree.

Tigger&Pooh

The aspect getting overlooked is what is the purpose of the venue? At a theater that is simple it's to watch the movie or show. It is not the waiting in line to buy popcorn or buy a ticket or enter the theater. So a disabled person should be allowed to enjoy the duration of the movie with a companion.

Is the purpose at WDW to wait in queues? or is it riding the attraction? Disney apparently interprets it as riding/experiencing the attraction itself and is making steps to allow the disabled individual to join the rest of their party for the attraction. Sure there are some guests who pay admission and enter the parks without intent of doing any rides, simply to people watch or spend time with their family/grandchildren outside of queues, but those aren't the people who need line accommodations. So the line accommodation allows the disabled individual to wait outside the queue and rejoin their party to enjoy the attraction. I understand the desire to allow for a companion during that wait, but I'm not sure it's required by law -- a caregiver would be required, not a companion for the wait. It could rightly be argued that a companion be allowed to enjoy the attraction, which Disney is allowing.

NotTheOne

-She goes every week
-Brings a large group (self admission)
-Is an adult
-Does not have a cognitive disability

Unfortunately she fits the category where there are a lot of liars and you either set a hard line or let the camel stick his nose in. Disney is not at fault for this, it’s entirely due to the donkey holes that abused the curtosey. This is an example of a person hurt by their carelessness.
Yeah, I was wondering why she would think she should get the DAS.

NotTheOne

They may have to allow them ride together, but I doubt they have to allow them to wait together.

Chi84

Premium Member
If by “they” you mean the entire party, no. If you mean a companion, I believe yes. A disabled guest should not have to wait alone, because they are disabled when other guests are able to spend the day with companions.
Of course we’re not talking about the entire day; just time waiting in line.

If the person needs an aide, then obviously they shouldn’t have to wait alone. But I don’t see any issue in having one person standing in line with the person who is unable to do so meeting them at the merge point.

If the disabled person would just rather have someone to keep them company in line, it goes from a necessary accommodation to a preference. In that case, the paid system is available.

TrojanUSC

Based on policy this guest should have been entitled to AQR or rider swap if traveling with a group or RTQ if solo. In both cases she could wait with a caregiver. This is a perfectly fair and adequate accommodation. At no point did she mention why these would't work for her.

I continue to feel that Disney's big blunder in this is keeping the DAS name in tact. They should have sent it to the land of Genie+ and GAC, while rolling out a new "Guest Assistance Program," which would encompass a number of options including Rider Swap, AQR and some other program that looks like DAS with some minor tweaks.

By keeping the DAS name it looks exclusionary. It should be "nobody has access to this toy you used to love" instead of "sorry we're taking this toy you love away from you and only giving to people who are really handicapped."

Touchdown

It’s the very sort of segregation that accessibility requirements were reacting against. The “normal” people go here and the “disabled” people go over there. The disabled person has to go over there and doesn’t get to spend time with friends or family like everyone else. Your not allowed to provide an accessible single user restroom in lieu of an accessible stall because it creates separation.
Except normal people have to split up all the time, when one of their member is unable (usually due to height) or unwilling to ride a ride together. Therefore the standard is splitting up is ok.

TrainsOfDisney

Except normal people have to split up all the time, when one of their member is unable (usually due to height) or unwilling to ride a ride together. Therefore the standard is splitting up is ok.
Well the only time they would have to is due to height - otherwise they have the option of waiting in the line together.

In that scenario, families get to decide how they split up. So that should be the same for all guests, if they want to split up and some wait in the line and some wait outside of the line for the return, great.

lazyboy97o

Choosing to split up is different than being told to split up. Disney also has long had Child Swap to allow people to stay somewhat together when the reason was safety and now can be anything.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s the very sort of segregation that accessibility requirements were reacting against. The “normal” people go here and the “disabled” people go over there. The disabled person has to go over there and doesn’t get to spend time with friends or family like everyone else. You’re not allowed to provide an accessible single user restroom in lieu of an accessible stall because it creates separation.
Accommodating a person who is unable to wait in line by letting that person wait elsewhere and then join their party is not segregation or exclusion. It’s an accommodation.

Disabled persons are not required to accept an accommodation. If they choose to use a restroom, theater seating or hotel room that is not designated as accessible they can do so. If they choose not to accept the accommodation of waiting elsewhere, they are not required to do so.

Club Cooloholic

It’s the very sort of segregation that accessibility requirements were reacting against. The “normal” people go here and the “disabled” people go over there. The disabled person has to go over there and doesn’t get to spend time with friends or family like everyone else. Your not allowed to provide an accessible single user restroom in lieu of an accessible stall because it creates separation.
That standard was developed to give disabled people access. And honestly with those with physical limitations in mind. The lines are wider now, with ramps and no stairs to accommodate... physically disabled that need wheelchairs, so they are not segregated. If the person and all their family leave the line for DAS...well then a segregation has occured.

lazyboy97o

Accommodating a person who is unable to wait in line by letting that person wait elsewhere and then join their party is not segregation or exclusion. It’s an accommodation.

Disabled persons are not required to accept an accommodation. If they choose to use a restroom, theater seating or hotel room that is not designated as accessible they can do so. If they choose not to accept the accommodation of waiting elsewhere, they are not required to do so.
Again, these types of facilities cannot be segregated. You can’t have a group restroom with a wheelchair accessible stall, even if there is a wheelchair accessible restroom right outside. You cannot have the wheelchair accessible section in a theater. You cannot group all of the different accessible hotel rooms in one part of a hotel.

Forcing a person to be alone is a separation. That’s why venues have to have companion seats, so that a disabled person isn’t forced to be alone. That companion doesn’t have to be a caregiver, it can just be a friend.

rk3668

Again, these types of facilities cannot be segregated. You can’t have a group restroom with a wheelchair accessible stall, even if there is a wheelchair accessible restroom right outside. You cannot have the wheelchair accessible section in a theater. You cannot group all of the different accessible hotel rooms in one part of a hotel.

Forcing a person to be alone is a separation. That’s why venues have to have companion seats, so that a disabled person isn’t forced to be alone. That companion doesn’t have to be a caregiver, it can just be a friend.
I am not trying to argue with your general point, but I do not think these situations are comparable to waiting in a line. For the three things you describe, the disabled person is not segregated while doing the essential activity--- they are at the theater to watch the movie, they are at hotel to stay in a room, they are at the restroom to use it. They should be able to be accomodated with these in a non-segregated way. The line situation is the opposite-- the disabled person is being accommodated by avoiding an undesirable activity in order to do a desired activity. They are not segregated when doing the essential activity-- going on the ride.

Again, I do not disagree with your general point, but I don't think that these comparisons are relevant. I could be wrong though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom