New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

I am not saying that it should be "instantaneous". But having additional wait time just to get the disability access information that you need for every single ride is putting an additional burden on those with disabilities. Do you think that it is reasonable to have to wait in line to speak to the cast member about accommodations and then wait in the standby line? Wouldn't that put a bad taste in your mouth if you had to waste all of that time before you could actually get in the line all because you have a legitimate disability? How is that equal access?
This is part of what that lawsuit is about. They are claiming that those with disabilities have to go through a greater hassle and wasted time that no one else has to go through.
What lawsuit?

ConfettiCupcake

That makes more sense if they are not offering the RTQ, as was posted. Because the reports made it sound as if the cast member at each ride was going to decide who "qualified" for it. I am still waiting to hear what they are going to do about solo travelers or those who are with small children/are the caretaker and there is no one in the line to go back to.

They are offering return times, from the very small amounts of anecdotes I’ve seen so far they’re being given for exactly what you mention, parties (usually with one adult) where nobody is in the line to return to.

It seems like the decisions CMs make at the attraction are all based on logistics not medical needs. So while people will need to approach CMs each time they need assistance they aren’t going to have to give detailed explanations and certainly not medical info.

NotTheOne

How do you know that their conditions "only applies to their time at Disney"? How do you now what people do in their day to day lives?
I wouldn't go so far as to say their conditions "only applies to their time at Disney", but it sure seems like for non-developmental needs that were previously getting DAS, it only seemed to apply when they were in line for an attraction.

Touchdown

I’m hoping for a reduction of 10-15 min in wait times. I suspect G+ lines will significantly decrease and the time between scan and merge fall to under 15 min for the most part. We’ll see, and no I don’t want to see Slinky Dog at 140 min, I want reasonable wait times (<60 min for the most part.)

TrainsOfDisney

Do you mean like they did for years when it had to be done in person at guest services?
Well guest services was a one time thing, indoors, in a comparatively private space. Not full private, but much more private than attraction entrances that constantly have other guests walking by.

Also, guest services CM’s were trained for this specifically, and by law, are required to be familiar with Disability access and accommodations since they are an official way disabled guests to make a complaint about disability access.

Angel Ariel

Correct. I believe at one point there was a belief that there is a separate system called RTQ that functions like DAS except it was given out at the ride entrance.

From what I’ve seen, that doesn’t exist. The expectation is you can be accommodated by a process that lets you leave the line and then return to it. Exceptions are what you stated.
It does exist. It's used most for guests with mobility disabilities when the line is not accessible (more of an issue at DLR than WDW, but we have personally been given these times at both parks for mobility access reasons, and they were fully separate from the DAS system.

jaklgreen

Then how are you expecting an individualized potential accommodation based on the attractions current operational state and layout ?
Why does leaving the line and then returning have to be so complicated and "individualized"? What situations can there possibly be to make it so you can not leave the line and then return? Sounds like it is getting overly complicated for something that is supposed to be basic and easy. Either the return to the line IS the accommodation, so it should be the same for pretty much every ride. Or every ride is going to do something different.
The rides are all pretty much the same. Those who have LL will use that, as been reported and those that don't have a LL, the cast member can just bring you through. So each ride should already have this figured out how it will be handled. Are you saying that every ride and every cast member on duty is going to do something different?

Jrb1979

Why does leaving the line and then returning have to be so complicated and "individualized"? What situations can there possibly be to make it so you can not leave the line and then return? Sounds like it is getting overly complicated for something that is supposed to be basic and easy. Either the return to the line IS the accommodation, so it should be the same for pretty much every ride. Or every ride is going to do something different.
The rides are all pretty much the same. Those who have LL will use that, as been reported and those that don't have a LL, the cast member can just bring you through. So each ride should already have this figured out how it will be handled. Are you saying that every ride and every cast member on duty is going to do something different?
It's the same accommodation for everyone. The only change is what happens when you return to the line.

jaklgreen

I wouldn't go so far as to say their conditions "only applies to their time at Disney", but it sure seems like for non-developmental needs that were previously getting DAS, it only seemed to apply when they were in line for an attraction.
Most people have changed the way they do things in their day to day lives to accommodate their disability. So getting disability accommodation at Disney is no different than getting it anywhere else. Unless you are talking about the liars and fakers, I guarantee you that people don't live the same way as those without disabilities do.

jaklgreen

It's the same accommodation for everyone. The only change is what happens when you return to the line.
That is what I am saying. It shouldn't be this big deal with having to have to speak to the cast member before hand. And every ride should already have their procedures down on how it will be taken care of. If someone has to leave the line, they should be able to quickly do that and then speak to the cast member when they get back to get back into the lines. The process should be the same for the quests even if it is not the same for each ride.
And we still have not heard how they are going to get people out of the lines quickly and easily. How is someone in and ECV going to exit if they need to? We all know those queues are very narrow and 2 ECVs most likely can not pass each other.

ConfettiCupcake

In some ways I think the online community has complicated AQR and is really confusing people.

I think Disneys intention was that as a guest, all you theoretically have to worry about is ‘I need to leave the line, can you please assist?’ or ‘I may need to leave the line, can you please assist?’, and the CM will identify the best way they can assist. There is no approvals, no choices, no requesting AQR or RTQ or XYZ, and no real need to learn any process (but I sympathize that Disney has us all conditioned that that’s how their parks work).

Chi84

Premium Member
It does exist. It's used most for guests with mobility disabilities when the line is not accessible (more of an issue at DLR than WDW, but we have personally been given these times at both parks for mobility access reasons, and they were fully separate from the DAS system.
No I know that does exist. I was talking about RTQ being sort of a second chance for people who were denied DAS to plead their need for a return pass at every attraction.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Attraction queues are not identical.

jaklgreen

Attraction queues are not identical.
Nobody is saying that they are. I am saying the the procedure FOR THE GUEST should be the same, regardless of the ride and queue. The only thing that the guest should have to worry about is coming back to the ride and telling the cast member that they are returning.

Jrb1979

Nobody is saying that they are. I am saying the the procedure FOR THE GUEST should be the same, regardless of the ride and queue. The only thing that the guest should have to worry about is coming back to the ride and telling the cast member that they are returning.
That is all you have to worry about. The CM will then tell you what you need to do.

This is from a poster on Disboards on their experience

What ride? Peter Pan
Where in the queue were you when you left? About 15 minutes into the SB queue - the room with the shadow wall.
How hard was it to find a CM? Impossible in the line - I had to backtrack through all of the queue I’d already walked through and find a CM at the entrance. (I did ask after exiting if there was an easier way, and exit in the queue I should have used - CM said no: only way to get out is to walk back through.)
Are you or someone in your party that had to leave the queue in a mobility aid like ECV/wheelchair/stroller as wheelchair/M1 Abrams/etc ? No.
How many adults/children (besides you) in your party, and age of kids? Just me, an adult.
How long were you gone? Around 15 minutes.
How hard was it to get back to your party? No party as I was solo - I asked when I left the line what to do and the CM said just come back to find them. They weren’t there when I returned, so I explained to the new-to-me CM who was at the SB entrance and they did something in MDE, had me tap in at the LL entrance, and sent me through the LL.
Did any guests give you flack (probably not an issue for the guy with the abrams)? No… but I’ll note that 90% of Guests were looking at their phones, so I had to do a LOT of “excuse me!” And “so sorry, I need to exit” and “pardon me - thank you!” ing to make me way out. People were pleasant and friendly, so no issues there - it’s just difficult in such a small space.
How did the whole thing go? Okay - in the future, I would NOT get in line first; rather, I’d ask a CM before getting in line. See below…

What ride? POTC
Where in the queue were you when you left? I never entered the SB queue.
How hard was it to find a CM? Easy - A LL CM wasn’t busy, so I approached them and asked what I should do if I needed to leave the queue. They asked if I was unable to wait in the line and I said, “yes, basically - I’m okay for about 10-15 minutes, so I probably can’t make it through the 30 minute posted wait.” They sent me straight through the LL, no MDE or tapping in involved.
Are you or someone in your party that had to leave the queue in a mobility aid like ECV/wheelchair/stroller as wheelchair/M1 Abrams/etc ? No.
How many adults/children (besides you) in your party, and age of kids? Just me, adult.
How long were you gone? NA
How hard was it to get back to your party? NA
Did any guests give you flack (probably not an issue for the guy with the abrams)? No.
How did the whole thing go? SO much easier than trying to backtrack through a line! Even if I’d been given a time to return instead of being sent straight into the LL, that would have been better than needing to exit SB halfway through.

NotTheOne

Most people have changed the way they do things in their day to day lives to accommodate their disability. So getting disability accommodation at Disney is no different than getting it anywhere else. Unless you are talking about the liars and fakers, I guarantee you that people don't live the same way as those without disabilities do.
As I said, I'm not talking about their day to day lives, I'm specifically talking about Disney World, but outside of the standby line. And based on some reports, it appears that the DAS CMs are looking at the same thing when deciding whether or not to issue someone a DAS.

flynnibus

Premium Member
have to be so complicated and "individualized"?

Because not all situations are the same?

sounds like Return times are just a method for when nothing else fits’ tge situation at hand.

Just because sometimes they offer something MORE - that doesn’t make it the new minimum. Offering something above the normal accommodation because the normal accommodations won’t work in that particular situation is just tailoring service to the need at hand.

Splash4eva

What would the paper say, for example.
So to me a prime example were people claiming heat intolerance. Okay great you are approved for it for rides that are only say outdoor lines we will give you a return time per say or a return time to enter the indoor queue as opposed to a carte blanche card… just an example. But not limited to it…

Splash4eva

Likely because as far as we know they are accommodating everybody who leaves or needs to leave a line, and the accommodation is based on factors like their riding party size, crowd levels, location in the queue they left from, queue layout, and things of that nature that aren’t determined in advance or consistent from attraction to attraction.
So im curious. I go to Disney with my minor daughter who is 10 and i am denied DAS but tell a CM i cant wait in line for a medical reason they are gonna give me a RTQ time automatically because i am not leaving my child alone and if i did my ex would have me arrested immediately lol… like im genuinely curious how it works with a solo or someone traveling with minor children. This is why limiting party size to the bare minimum may have been the best course of action along with the other changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom