New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Club Cooloholic

I don't think that it is unreasonable that people don't want to talk about their medical condition to several cast members a day, in full hearing of other guests.
I am confused why there can't be a card or something that a guest gets, from one central location where all the questions could be asked once and then correspond to a chart and if just then provides what the accommodations will be at each ride, maybe a print out maybe some app...and then the guest has that to take to each ride.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think that it is unreasonable that people don't want to talk about their medical condition to several cast members a day, in full hearing of other guests.
The case challenging GAC to DAS held that facilities are not required to make the preferred accommodation of a disabled person's choice and that it is not enough for a person claiming an ADA violation to show that the offered accommodation does not eliminate all discomfort or difficulty. My guess is Disney will come up with some solution that doesn't require people to disclose their medical condition in front of other guests.

jaklgreen

The case challenging GAC to DAS held that facilities are not required to make the preferred accommodation of a disabled person's choice and that it is not enough for a person claiming an ADA violation to show that the offered accommodation does not eliminate all discomfort or difficulty. My guess is Disney will come up with some solution that doesn't require people to disclose their medical condition in front of other guests.
I hope so. We are all told to protect our medical privacy, for good reason. No one should have to repeat their issues over and over where anyone can hear.

lazyboy97o

But they haven’t and that’s not what they’re doing at the moment. They are telling people determined not eligible for DAS to speak with attraction cast members about their options.

Chi84

Premium Member
But they haven’t and that’s not what they’re doing at the moment. They are telling people determined not eligible for DAS to speak with attraction cast members about their options.
Does that include disclosing their medical conditions in front of other guests? This is the only place I’m following the issue regularly.

Angel Ariel

Does that include disclosing their medical conditions in front of other guests? This is the only place I’m following the issue regularly.
My understanding from some reports I've read is that AQR is open to anyone, so specific disability talk is likely not necessary, but when people are denied DAS and told to ask for RTQ that there is some level of being told they will need to share with the attraction CM at the front of line entry why they need a RTQ. This makes sense with the other reports that CMs have stated that RTQ is to be given sparingly and that CMs will be audited re: how many RTQ times they give out. (although it doesn't seem to be being suggested sparingly when someone is denied DAS). That it's supposed to be given sparingly also seems to mean that something generic like "I need it for a medical reason" wouldn't fly, unless there's some kind of note on the back end indicating that RTQ was recommended (which there is no confirmation of at this time).

Chi84

Premium Member
My understanding from some reports I've read is that AQR is open to anyone, so specific disability talk is likely not necessary, but when people are denied DAS and told to ask for RTQ that there is some level of being told they will need to share with the attraction CM at the front of line entry why they need a RTQ. This makes sense with the other reports that CMs have stated that RTQ is to be given sparingly and that CMs will be audited re: how many RTQ times they give out. (although it doesn't seem to be being suggested sparingly when someone is denied DAS). That it's supposed to be given sparingly also seems to mean that something generic like "I need it for a medical reason" wouldn't fly, unless there's some kind of note on the back end indicating that RTQ was recommended (which there is no confirmation of at this time).
I’m assuming the person will have to explain why they can’t use AQR or possibly rider swap (?) under their specific circumstances.

At that point the person would have already been denied DAS so I would imagine RTQ will be difficult to get. But I don’t know exactly what the CM would ask - there will probably be reports sometime soon.

Angel Ariel

I’m assuming the person will have to explain why they can’t use AQR or possibly rider swap (?) under their specific circumstances.

At that point the person would have already been denied DAS so I would imagine RTQ will be difficult to get. But I don’t know exactly what the CM would ask - there will probably be reports sometime soon.
And these are some of the reasons people are concerned that RTQ is seemingly being suggested easily when one is denied DAS. I doesn't match how difficult it's seemingly supposed to be to get RTQ

Also - to have to explain why AQR and Rider swap don't work and answer any other questions a CM may have seems like a longer conversation than a front of queue attraction CM has time for...

ditzee

I am confused why there can't be a card or something that a guest gets, from one central location where all the questions could be asked once and then correspond to a chart and if just then provides what the accommodations will be at each ride, maybe a print out maybe some app...and then the guest has that to take to each ride.
Your idea makes sens which is probably why it will never dawn on Disney's disability team.

TrojanUSC

I mean this “card” was literally the Guest Assistance Card program the preceded DAS. They offered a handful of “stamps” based on the specific needs of the guest. Some said things like “please offer this guest a shaded wait area,” while others said “please allow this guest to use the entrance designated for wheelchairs.” The most common one was “please allow this guest to use the alternate attraction entrance.” The problem is literally everyone knew what to say to get this stamp and it defeated the purpose. The others all just gathered dust.

Disney probably learned their lesson and wants to make sure people are accommodated without making it easy for abuse.

Fido Chuckwagon

People don’t need to disclose their medical condition during the DAS call, let alone to the ride operators. People never need to disclose their medical condition because DAS is needs based, not diagnosis based. I get that a lot of people want to disclose their medical condition to Disney because they feel that their medical condition entitles them to their preferred accommodation instead of the one that Disney may ultimately give them, but it is not part of the analysis at all.

Fido Chuckwagon

And these are some of the reasons people are concerned that RTQ is seemingly being suggested easily when one is denied DAS. I doesn't match how difficult it's seemingly supposed to be to get RTQ

Also - to have to explain why AQR and Rider swap don't work and answer any other questions a CM may have seems like a longer conversation than a front of queue attraction CM has time for...
AQR not working sounds like (from the other thread over on DIS) it’s largely going to be a factor of party size and adults versus children. It’s going to be hard for most adults in large groups to justify why they can’t attempt to wait in line and then get an AQR, or why they can’t rider swap, when they can wait in the Lighting Lane just fine. AQR is a perfectly reasonable accommodation for most and I expect most will be pushed to AQR with RTQ being reserved for solo travelers or parties of two with a caregiver/dependent.

Fido Chuckwagon

Disney probably learned their lesson and wants to make sure people are accommodated without making it easy for abuse.
Yeah it’s this. The suggestion of a card will be easily abused by:
1. People who are lying; and
2. People who legitimately have a disability but are lying about their inability to wait in all lines (ie: the heat insensitive poster, earlier in this thread).

Disney is correct to make this harder. People have shown time and time again that any system that is too easy to abuse (including by the legitimately disabled who nonetheless used it for lines they didn’t need to) will be abused. It’s going to be harder to lie and exaggerate face to face with a CM at every ride attraction than it is to write out a card and show it to them. My hope is that anyone who tries the “here’s my homemade card” idea will be told by the CM “Sorry, I’m not allowed to review your medical history.”

It’s one thing to post on an Internet forum (or write on a card) “If I wait in any line for any amount of time, I will start throwing up, pooping myself, attacking other guests, and I might spontaneously combust), and it’s another thing to repeat that at the entrance to every attraction. Whoever wrote the new rules appears to have an understanding of basic human psychology.

And by all reports, for the people for whom the above sentence is actually true (those with severe developmental or neurological disorders), DAS is still being approved.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

My hope is that anyone who tries the “here’s my homemade card” idea will be told by the CM “Sorry, I’m not allowed to review your medical history.”
It doesn't have to be medical history - it can be need just as with the calls themselves.

#sorrynotsorry but my minimally speaking child has a right to communicate in the way that's most effective for her under the ADA. At Disney, with CMs, that's often with preprinted cards that she helps create before the trip (typically this has been for character meet and greets) as there's too much distraction for her to be able to access her high tech AAC. She also has the right to communicate herself and not always have to have someone else communicate for her, and it's my job as a parent to support and encourage that independence in all situations.

Her life is hard enough without other people determining her method of communication is invalid.

John park hopper

As one who now has a disability I have no problem disclosing what it is (show proof) Disney could easily issue a card validating said disability and not involve the online CMs. This could all be done on line and Disney could be held not to disclose medical information provided and after disability card is provided all information is destroyed. Leave it up to the individual if they want to go through the process. Unfortunately all good programs are abused by far to many

Club Cooloholic

It's interesting, my guess is that Disney went above and beyond in accommodation, and now there is push back, as there always is when something is taken away. The thing is they are giving customers fair warning. And the idea they will lose customers to a point they care? This is the company that scaled back park hours, started to charge money for it's once free fast passes, started charging its guest parking fees, which for some reason get higher basd on how nice the resort, and finally, they consider 10 year olds adults and charge them as such, still customers pack the place, so they can probably weather whatever comes of this, if they think they will make more money by having more LL buyers.

Kingoglow

It's interesting, my guess is that Disney went above and beyond in accommodation, and now there is push back, as there always is when something is taken away. The thing is they are giving customers fair warning. And the idea they will lose customers to a point they care? This is the company that scaled back park hours, started to charge money for it's once free fast passes, started charging its guest parking fees, which for some reason get higher basd on how nice the resort, and finally, they consider 10 year olds adults and charge them as such, still customers pack the place, so they can probably weather whatever comes of this, if they think they will make more money by having more LL buyers.

I think that is where we are with this. The plan is in place and this will be the program for the next 2-5 years, until such time as more revisions are necessary.

Disney believes that they have a program that will meet the requirements of the law and will improve operations and profit. People are, of course, free to disagree whether or not this program meets the legal requirements and chose to litigate themselves. That often doesn't happen though.

Some guests will find the new program less accommodating than before but that doesn't mean that Disney has done anything wrong (legally). I think it can be argued that Disney still goes beyond government requirements in many cases regarding its disability accommodations. Guests are free to visit the parks or not.

Club Cooloholic

I think that is where we are with this. The plan is in place and this will be the program for the next 2-5 years, until such time as more revisions are necessary.

Disney believes that they have a program that will meet the requirements of the law and will improve operations and profit. People are, of course, free to disagree that this program doesn't meet the law and litigate themselves. That often doesn't happen though.

Some guests will find the new program less accommodating than before but that doesn't mean that Disney has done anything wrong (legally). I think it can be argued that Disney still goes beyond government requirements in many cases regarding its disability accommodations. Guests are free to visit the parks or not.
The threshold of what is legally required for them is different from a public library or federal courthouse.

Disstevefan1

Disney believes that they have a program that will meet the requirements of the law and will improve operations and profit. People are, of course, free to disagree whether or not this program meets the legal requirements and chose to litigate themselves. That often doesn't happen though.

Disney changes things on the fly with no notice all of the time. So its possible there will be ongoing tweaks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom