New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

SamusAranX

It’s the #3 that’s REALLY important. I worry drs will just write it for people in wheelchairs because they are asked (in my example it’s someone who could still wait in line and just had mobility issues). I honestly don’t think it would be that hard to get my dr to write this for me or my husband’s dr for him (and it’s our son, not us who has gotten DAS in the past). I could tell my dr there’s an option for people with anxiety but I need her signature on a document and I bet she would do it. Now is that right or wrong? Hard to say… I just don’t think it would fix the problem.
Hence the second layer where you sign an affidavit to Disney outlining the penalties if lying. It’s similar to when people sign documents under penalty of perjury, most of the time it’s not checked up on but just the threat of such a severe consequence gets most people to be honest or think twice

jennab55

This. The number one thing people stupidly admit to at my work all the time when turning in accomidation/disability paperwork is the Dr asking them what they want so they include what they want on the form. They basically admit the doctor just puts in what they tell them to.
100%! Drs just want to help and so I feel they would easily sign a form if their patient brought up that it would help them.

KrzyKtty

Again will the doctor be willing to sign a notarized document WITH the specific reasons and symptoms? I feel that is a barrier to exaggeration as most doctors won’t sign a legal document as such if they don’t personally evaluate and know that those are your actual symptoms
Honestly I'd be curious if there are many doctors that would be willing to put anything on legal documentation of that caliber.

jennab55

Hence the second layer where you sign an affidavit to Disney outlining the penalties if lying. It’s similar to when people sign documents under penalty of perjury, most of the time it’s not checked up on but just the threat of such a severe consequence gets most people to be honest or think twice
How would Disney prove or disprove it though? Let’s say in my example I do have anxiety, so I’m not lying on the document I signed and it’s noted on my medical chart. I just think it will be too easy for a lot of people to get completed by their drs, whether or not they really can wait in line. I guarantee in my example of a mobility issue they could also get their Dr to sign a form. Doctors just want to help in a lot of cases. If their patient says I need xyz and they know that patient does have a medical issue then why wouldn’t they sign? But honestly we can poke holes in any theory as nothing is perfect. Although I would prefer a specific document over just everyone submit an IEP or anything in your medical chart showing you have a disability.

CampbellzSoup

Also, you do realize this describes pretty much every pediatric hospital/medical waiting room? And that people who need DAS are also a population more likely to spend much more time in medical waiting rooms than most people? And that kids, especially, often have a lot more anxiety with medical waiting rooms, esp when they have to be
Totally unrelated to Disney/DAS, but your daughter's pulmonary fibrosis is terrifying to me. A device that may last up to 30 minutes but could randomly shut down and need to be plugged in within seconds is such a tough way to live regardless of where you are. Regardless of where you are, just wanted to make you aware of a product called a "Jackery" which can provide a portable outlet that could be carried around in a backpack (depending on the wattage you require)

I am not at all suggesting this is something you should be forced to carry around to enjoy Disney World, just in general something that I would definitely own if I was in your situation.

That’s such a horrifying prospect I wouldn’t even take my child to any line as it can STILL be over 30 with lightening lane, but enjoy the park make memories scary to think about.

jennab55

Honestly I'd be curious if there are many doctors that would be willing to put anything on legal documentation of that caliber.
Probably the same as completing FMLA paperwork or ADA accommodation requests for workplaces. If you have medical issues they are not hard to get filled out (I suppose as long as you have a doctor you’ve been seeing for awhile). But again, just because someone has a disability doesn’t mean they can’t wait in a line.

SamusAranX

How would Disney prove or disprove it though? Let’s say in my example I do have anxiety, so I’m not lying on the document I signed and it’s noted on my medical chart. I just think it will be too easy for a lot of people to get completed by their drs, whether or not they really can wait in line. I guarantee in my example of a mobility issue they could also get their Dr to sign a form. Doctors just want to help in a lot of cases. If their patient says I need xyz and they know that patient does have a medical issue then why wouldn’t they sign? But honestly we can poke holes in any theory as nothing is perfect. Although I would prefer a specific document over just everyone submit an IEP or anything in your medical chart showing you have a disability.
I mean if they discover a case where the doctors note itself was forged.

Angel Ariel

In all fairness doctors do sometimes throw documents around like that like candy.

Honestly I don't think there is any perfect system. I do wonder why they decided not to do something more Like what universal does though🤔
I would rather provide direct doctor notes to Disney than do the IBCCES thing. It's a marketing group, not a medical one. The forms required tedious back and forth messages within the office's systems (b/c we can't just do straight up email) with our daughter's ped over the course of a week to get all sorted. Thankfully that's all free for us, but many don't have such access.

ConfettiCupcake

How would any of these even hold up with international guests? Different languages, different regulations, etc.

To me it really feels like they had no desire to create a situation where guests are effectively telling them “this is the accommodation I need”. That’s a sticky situation when someone’s doctor deems a DAS like accommodation a need but Disney deems AQR just fine for the same situation. Again to me it all seems pretty predictable that they went the route they did when you view it from the perspective of decreasing usage and not decreasing lying.

TrainsOfDisney

I mean if they discover a case where the doctors note itself was forged.
What would the process be? Have another doctor examine someone against their will and decide if they don’t have that issue?

And then prove without a reasonable doubt that the original doctor knew they were 100% lying?

Angel Ariel

How would any of these even hold up with international guests? Different languages, different regulations, etc.

To me it really feels like they had no desire to create a situation where guests are effectively telling them “this is the accommodation I need”. That’s a sticky situation when someone’s doctor deems a DAS like accommodation a need but Disney deems AQR just fine for the same situation. Again to me it all seems pretty predictable that they went the route they did when you view it from the perspective of decreasing usage and not decreasing lying.
I mean - they're going to have to deal with different languages and different regulations with the current process too. For ex, UK visitors haven't been able to do pre visit DAS calls before because the regulations in the UK prevent it (or that's been my understanding from UK guests anyway).

ConfettiCupcake

I mean - they're going to have to deal with different languages and different regulations with the current process too. For ex, UK visitors haven't been able to do pre visit DAS calls before because the regulations in the UK prevent it (or that's been my understanding from UK guests anyway).

I know, but I meant more like if they’re requiring doctors notes, does a doctors note from outside the US hold the same value legally to them? Legitimately asking because I have no idea, but it seems like a pretty US centric solution (a solution to a problem I don’t think they’re trying to solve but I digress)

maemae74

So I just got off my Zoom. 3 of our 6 kids are ADD and Autistic. We were refused and offer return queue and rider swap. I was getting emotional during the end of the call. My kids are 19, 16, 14, so ackward teens that do not want to talk about this over and over again at each ride entrance.
I still need to talk to my husband... I am not sure what we are going to do.
As a family of 8 genie plus will be thousands, we just cant swing that on top of an already expensive trip.
I understand this however the system isn't perfect and a little uncomfortableness to not have to wait in the physical line if they aren't capable may be worth it. I don't understand just exactly people want from Disney.

Ayla

How does it work in Paris? 🤷🏻‍♀️

SamusAranX

What would the process be? Have another doctor examine someone against their will and decide if they don’t have that issue?

And then prove without a reasonable doubt that the original doctor knew they were 100% lying?
I’m talking of a case where someone actually forged their own document and/or the doctors signature and never actually spoke with the named doctor

Disney Glimpses

How does it work in Paris? 🤷🏻‍♀️
You upload documentation to Disney and they will issue you a card. For US citizens, one of the following qualifies:
  1. Disability card issued by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
  2. Parking Card for Disabled People
  3. Other official disability documents issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  4. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD)
  5. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  6. VA Disability Compensation Benefits
  7. Parking Badge; permanent or temporary
  8. Access pass: America The Beautiful
This gives you a "Priority Card" which provides priority access (but non-immediate).

Then there's the "Easy Access card" which is for recognized long-term chronic diseases which offers slightly quicker access.

Too bad we can't do this in the US.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

I understand this however the system isn't perfect and a little uncomfortableness to not have to wait in the physical line if they aren't capable may be worth it. I don't understand just exactly people want from Disney.
Some people's disabilities include issues that impact their ability to share information verbally and/or repeatedly that goes well beyond "uncomfortableness". Autistic people can shut down in these situations, those with selective mutism, or who communicate in ways other than oral speech, etc. So what are they looking for? All of their disabilities to be accommodated. People having access to effective communication for themselves (their preferred method of communication, not how a business tells them to communicate) is covered under the ADA as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom