New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

maemae74

Some people's disabilities include issues that impact their ability to share information verbally and/or repeatedly that goes well beyond "uncomfortableness". Autistic people can shut down in these situations, those with selective mutism, or who communicate in ways other than oral speech, etc. So what are they looking for? All of their disabilities to be accommodated. People having access to effective communication for themselves (their preferred method of communication, not how a business tells them to communicate) is covered under the ADA as well.
"My kids are 19, 16, 14, so awkward teens that do not want to talk about this over and over again at each ride entrance."
I was specifically responding to this. That statement would leave me to believe communication issues are not the problem. It also seems in some/many cases that I am seeing on other social media sites that the only side that is expected to give is Disney.

ConfettiCupcake

The documentation conversation seems like a moot point. Judging by their changes, their goal doesn’t appear to be creating barriers to qualify, the opposite actually if you take AQR into account. Allowing people to make the decision on their own as to which accommodation they get is not going to fix the burden on the LLs. I am much more cynical than some here in thinking that people will have no problem finding a doctor writing what they want them to say, and then it’s much harder for Disney to deny them.

Angel Ariel

"My kids are 19, 16, 14, so awkward teens that do not want to talk about this over and over again at each ride entrance."
I was specifically responding to this. That statement would leave me to believe communication issues are not the problem. It also seems in some/many cases that I am seeing on other social media sites that the only side that is expected to give is Disney.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions - no one here has shared the in full issues of their children, nor would I expect them to do so.

As for the final comment - it's Disney's responsibility to provide accommodations. Can't speak for anyone else, but we already do everything possible as an individual family to accommodate DD's needs. So that wouldn't be a part of discussions that I'd have online about this, because we're already doing everything we can there. The only place to discuss for us is on Disney's end. 🤷‍♀️

TrainsOfDisney

It also seems in some/many cases that I am seeing on other social media sites that the only side that is expected to give is Disney.
In the case of disability access, yes, that is certainly what should be expected. I don’t think disabled guests should be expected to give anything.

maemae74

I wouldn't jump to conclusions - no one here has shared the in full issues of their children, nor would I expect them to do so.

As for the final comment - it's Disney's responsibility to provide accommodations. Can't speak for anyone else, but we already do everything possible as an individual family to accommodate DD's needs. So that wouldn't be a part of discussions that I'd have online about this, because we're already doing everything we can there. The only place to discuss for us is on Disney's end. 🤷‍♀️
As long as they are ADA compliant are the legally responsible for this accommodations? Also who gets to decide if the what they are offering is worthy or not. I am asking because I really don't understand.

jennab55

You upload documentation to Disney and they will issue you a card. For US citizens, one of the following qualifies:
  1. Disability card issued by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
  2. Parking Card for Disabled People
  3. Other official disability documents issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  4. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD)
  5. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  6. VA Disability Compensation Benefits
  7. Parking Badge; permanent or temporary
  8. Access pass: America The Beautiful
This gives you a "Priority Card" which provides priority access (but non-immediate).

Then there's the "Easy Access card" which is for recognized long-term chronic diseases which offers slightly quicker access.

Too bad we can't do this in the US.
But it would be the same problem, just because someone has a disability doesn’t mean they can’t wait in a line…. So does Paris not have an issue with their lines. Maybe less annual pass holders who use the service or less disabled people overall?

TrojanUSC

This is one of the reasons I am 100% against the Florida Security checks separating wheelchair users from the rest of their party at the entrance - it shouldn’t be legal.

I’m also against them separating families with strollers but that’s not an ADA issue, just poor customer service.

What? What difference does a 2 minute security check have to do with anything? Those going through the wheelchair entrances probably take 10x as long to screen as those going through the scanners as everyone else. Why would you want to have the entire family take 10 minutes to screen, while delaying others behind you vs splitting up for less than a minute or to maximize efficiency for everyone involved?

Angel Ariel

As long as they are ADA compliant are the legally responsible for this accommodations? Also who gets to decide if the what they are offering is worthy or not. I am asking because I really don't understand.
As others far more qualified than I in this thread have said, there's ambiguity in terms of how the ADA applies to waiting in lines as it's not specifically spelled out. But in general, yes, Disney is required to be ADA-compliant.

As I mentioned with the communication piece - effective communication IS covered by the ADA, and that is spelled out, so Disney does have a requirement there to ensure that people can communicate with them in their effective manner (so, for ex, if someone can't verbally share their needs with a CM at each ride entrance, Disney should allow written communication to be provided. There's been discussion in some places (can't remember if it was here) that there's been some indication that providing something like a written card would possibly not be accepted by Disney. I think disney would have a hard time defending that under the ADA, as not all people are able to speak with verbal speech/ASL. Low tech (and high tech) augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) - like a written card - is effective communication for many people in this country (and beyond).

Chi84

Premium Member
What? What difference does a 2 minute security check have to do with anything? Those going through the wheelchair entrances probably take 10x as long to screen as those going through the scanners as everyone else. Why would you want to have the entire family take 10 minutes to screen, while delaying others behind you vs splitting up for less than a minute or to maximize efficiency for everyone involved?
It’s off-topic.

Chi84

Premium Member
Legally responsible to provide the DAS program as it exists now? I posted several comments giving my own opinion on this throughout the thread and don’t want to repeat them because I tend to go on too long lol.

But in short, there are no Department of Justice regulations requiring such a program and I don’t think a court would require it in its current form.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

You upload documentation to Disney and they will issue you a card. For US citizens, one of the following qualifies:
  1. Disability card issued by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
  2. Parking Card for Disabled People
  3. Other official disability documents issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  4. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD)
  5. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  6. VA Disability Compensation Benefits
  7. Parking Badge; permanent or temporary
  8. Access pass: America The Beautiful
This gives you a "Priority Card" which provides priority access (but non-immediate).

Then there's the "Easy Access card" which is for recognized long-term chronic diseases which offers slightly quicker access.

Too bad we can't do this in the US.
The US has some of the best laws in place to accommodate those with disabilities. The law is clear on what that implies with physical handicaps, but so much in with autism etc. I have no idea what the legal obligations of a business are to accommodate this and what would be considered reasonable. For the heck of it was curious what the situation would be for someone attending a game at Metlife stadium in NJ.
From that
Sensory Inclusion
SensoryFriendlyLogoKultureCity-SensoryCertified-2023
MetLife Stadium has partnered with Kulture City in an effort to provide a more inclusive and comfortable experience for our guests with sensory processing needs. Our team members are trained and certified to recognize opportunities to assist these guests in their enjoyment of our events. We also offer sensory bags containing noise-cancelling headphones brought to you by Bose, fidget toys and weighted lap pads among other resources for checkout at any Guest Service Booth or Concierge Desk located through the Stadium. For further information or assistance, please contact our Guest Services Department at (201) 559-1515.

Figgy1

Premium Member
No worries. It’s a pipe dream but that’s where a notary would help really filter the fakers out. A public notary usually isn’t willing to risk the consequences by skirting the rules
Do you know the cost of getting a notary to some doctor's offices, in some cases it's not even possible
That said I can easily provide what's needed in Paris and I even carry more than one on me for my ds at all times

SamusAranX

A notary is only concerned with making sure the parties signing are who they say they are. They aren't concerned with the contents of what they're signing
Correct to me it’s more to verify it’s a doctor signing not a third party signing on their behalf or in the extreme cases, a person forging an entire doctor’s note

TrainsOfDisney

Disneyland does bag check for everyone and has many more bag check stations. Florida has the contactless security, Why would you want security rooting around all your bags when most of the family can get through far quicker and with less pain?
I’m aware of the differences, I’ve experienced them both. I prefer the consistency of the process at Disneyland but both have pros and cons.

As to the topic of this thread, I think guests should be able to choose to wait as a group if they want to - or split up if they want to. Simple as that.

Same at the attractions - suggesting a family splits up while waiting for an attraction is terrible to say to a disabled guests family.

Fido Chuckwagon

Correct to me it’s more to verify it’s a doctor signing not a third party signing on their behalf or in the extreme cases, a person forging an entire doctor’s note
This whole idea is silly, but there’s no logical reason to have the doctor’s signature notarized. It would be trivially easy for someone to check if a doctor’s note is forged. Probably easier than checking with the notary. In any event, DAS is not diagnosis based and never has been, so this whole thing is moot.

jaklgreen

I understand this however the system isn't perfect and a little uncomfortableness to not have to wait in the physical line if they aren't capable may be worth it. I don't understand just exactly people want from Disney.
I don't think that it is unreasonable that people don't want to talk about their medical condition to several cast members a day, in full hearing of other guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom