New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

KrzyKtty

I think honestly DAS as it exists now needs a name change. It's a marketing issue at the heart of it. It is literally called Disability Access Service. And with this change they are telling a whole lot of disabled people that they are not the right disabled people for this service. I can understand
why it leads a bad taste in their mouth.

If they would change the name and take away the label disability, then they might not get so much push back from other people that have genuine disabilities and are wondering why they are not "disabled enough" for this.

I'm not saying that's true, but I can understand the perception.

Purduevian

I am confused why there can't be a card or something that a guest gets, from one central location where all the questions could be asked once and then correspond to a chart and if just then provides what the accommodations will be at each ride, maybe a print out maybe some app...and then the guest has that to take to each ride.
Make it all digital and connected to the DAS call. The DAS CM on the phone call links needed accommodations to their account. Have the person with a disability to a designated caregiver scan their magic band/phone/ticket with the ride attendant that is in charge of choosing the appropriate accommodation. Make it a check box that pops up on the CM's tablet:

Independent adults in partyX
Independent children in partyX
Needed caregivers for individualX
Sensitivity to heatNone/Mild/medium/sever
Sensitivity to loud noisesNone/Mild/medium/sever
Enclosed space sensitivityNone/Mild/medium/sever
Likelihood of needing to leave the line for physical medical reasonsNone/Mild/medium/sever
Whatever other information would help the CM

The CM would scan the magic band/phone/ticket and all this information would pop up, they then can determine the proper accommodations for this specific person for this specific attraction, at this specific time (rider swap, RTQ, ATQ, shaded waiting area, ect.)

KrzyKtty

I think honestly DAS as it exists now needs a name change. It's a marketing issue at the heart of it. It is literally called Disability Access Service. And with this change they are telling a whole lot of disabled people that they are not the right disabled people for this service. I can understand

If they would change the name and take away the label disability, then they might not get so much push back from other people that have genuine disabilities and are wondering why they are not "disabled enough" for this.

Maybe relabel the service that is currently called DAS to something else. DAQ for Digital Queue Access.

Then make DAS the umbrella program that houses RTQ, DAQ, and AQR. Therefore DAS is for all people with disabilities and the program helps align you to the sub programs based on needs.

Basically what they are already doing, just marketing name changes.

Club Cooloholic

Make it all digital and connected to the DAS call. The DAS CM on the phone call links needed accommodations to their account. Have the person with a disability to a designated caregiver scan their magic band/phone/ticket with the ride attendant that is in charge of choosing the appropriate accommodation. Make it a check box that pops up on the CM's tablet:

Likelihood of needing to leave the line for physical medical reasonsNone/Mild/medium/sever

The CM would scan the magic band/phone/ticket and all this information would pop up, they then can determine the proper accommodations for this specific person for this specific attraction, at this specific time (rider swap, RTQ, ATQ, shaded waiting area, ect.)
See this is where I do find it interesting. If one is sensitive to heat(and we all are honestly to some level), how is one at the parks at all in summer? Enclosed spaces too...how can one then do Rise, so much of that is waiting in enclosed spaces once the "ride" so to speak begins unless they go right to the vehicles are...even then waiting in that small room to board.

Last edited:

jennab55

Except everyone would just choose “severe” to get DAS.

Gomer

See this is where I do find it interesting. If one is sensitive to hear(and we all are honestly to some level), how is one at the parks at all in summer? Enclosed spaces too...how can one then do Rise, so much of that is waiting in enclosed spaces once the "ride" so to speak begins unless they go right to the vehicles are...even then waiting in that small room to board.
I don't claim to be representative of all people with these issues and they are not my son's primary reason for requiring DAS, but as they do aggravate other issues I can say for us it comes down to planning and strategy to control length of exposure.

We are forced to travel in summer due to school schedules, but my son doesn't do well in severe heat. So every park day is planned with that in mind. Go early, long break in the afternoon, then come back at night. Even our walking paths and ride scheduling are planned with that in mind. We know where we can duck in for some AC and a sensory break in every land of every park and we will use that to make sure we are never exposed in the direct sun for more than 10-15 minutes if it can be avoided.

As for RotR, that is also a length of exposure thing for us. The queue for Rise is actually pretty well planed out for tension and release in terms of crowding. The preshow room with Rey is immediately followed by the outside wait for the shuttle. The shuttle itself is immediately followed by the very relaxing hangar scene (we usually hang here for a few minutes to reset my son's mood ahead of the cramped queue and prison cell). Its not ideal, but he loves star wars so they payoff is worth the risk to him. Or at least that's how it seems based on his mood afterwards and continuing desire to ride. If it was too much for him he would tell us through a reluctance to even go near the ride entrance.

This would not go well if we had waited in an hour long queue prior to doing this. But because we can predict and somewhat control the exposure to things that might cause problems its manageable. This is of course a parent's way of managing it for someone with severe autism, but I'd imagine the same approach would work for those without a developmental disability but whose condition makes heat exposure or small spaces a problem for them.

Chi84

Premium Member

I think they have to keep the word disability because they are extending the program only to those who have a disability as defined by the ADA, correct?

Chi84

Premium Member
Not from the sounds of it because plenty of people with disabilities as defined by the ada are not getting access to DAS.
No I didn’t mean everyone with a disability gets it, but it’s a threshold. An ADA defined disability is the least you need. Then they go into what accommodations are appropriate.

KrzyKtty

No I didn’t mean everyone with a disability gets it, but it’s a threshold. An ADA defined disability is the least you need. Then they go into what accommodations are appropriate.
Ah. I still think DAS need a marketing name change then. Leave DAS as basically what you defined above, but it's the top of the umbrella. Then the actual services, like RTQ, or the digital version that is currently DAS is underneath it, and you get placed based on need.

The word disability is still in there, but you get placed into the service your needs require.

I'm not saying necessarily the word disability should be removed entirely, but making it seem like the other services are other and not properly part of the DAS family is the marketing problem.

That way you do not have people with clear ADA disabilities feel like they are left out in the cold. There might Still be general discontentment about being placed under one service rather than the other, but at least it doesn't seem like they aren't included? I'm not sure if i'm saying this right.

Chi84

Premium Member
Ah. I still think DAS need a marketing name change then. Leave DAS as basically what you defined above, but it's the top of the umbrella. Then the actual services, like RTQ, or the digital version that is currently DAS is underneath it, and you get placed based on need.

The word disability is still in there, but you get placed into the service your needs require.

I'm not saying necessarily the word disability should be removed entirely, but making it seem like the other services are other and not properly part of the DAS family is the marketing problem.

That way you do not have people with clear ADA disabilities feel like they are left out in the cold. There might Still be general discontentment about being placed under one service rather than the other, but at least it doesn't seem like they aren't included? I'm not sure if i'm saying this right.
I agree there’s a problem; not sure how you can solve it in the title. But at a minimum I think they should have come up with a different name.

Kristamouse

After our Zoom call with the CM ended I had a lot more questions and this is one... What should we/will we have too explain to the CM at the entrance

Angel Ariel

See this is where I do find it interesting. If one is sensitive to hear(and we all are honestly to some level), how is one at the parks at all in summer? Enclosed spaces too...how can one then do Rise, so much of that is waiting in enclosed spaces once the "ride" so to speak begins unless they go right to the vehicles are...even then waiting in that small room to board.
Any explanation of these things leads to cheating. But basically, it comes down to degrees. People may be able to handle enclosed spaces for short periods, but not an hour+ without their disability then being an issue. Having difficulty with enclosed spaces for some amount of time or in certain spaces doesn't mean having it for all amounts of time in all spaces.

People keep wanting to shove disability into a box - and it just doesn't work like that for so many, especially those with developmental disabilities. I get that it's hard for people who don't live it to understand it - but you can choose to accept what those of us who are living it are communicating about it.

Angel Ariel

I don't claim to be representative of all people with these issues and they are not my son's primary reason for requiring DAS, but as they do aggravate other issues I can say for us it comes down to planning and strategy to control length of exposure.

We are forced to travel in summer due to school schedules, but my son doesn't do well in severe heat. So every park day is planned with that in mind. Go early, long break in the afternoon, then come back at night. Even our walking paths and ride scheduling are planned with that in mind. We know where we can duck in for some AC and a sensory break in every land of every park and we will use that to make sure we are never exposed in the direct sun for more than 10-15 minutes if it can be avoided.

As for RotR, that is also a length of exposure thing for us. The queue for Rise is actually pretty well planed out for tension and release in terms of crowding. The preshow room with Rey is immediately followed by the outside wait for the shuttle. The shuttle itself is immediately followed by the very relaxing hangar scene (we usually hang here for a few minutes to reset my son's mood ahead of the cramped queue and prison cell). Its not ideal, but he loves star wars so they payoff is worth the risk to him. Or at least that's how it seems based on his mood afterwards and continuing desire to ride. If it was too much for him he would tell us through a reluctance to even go near the ride entrance.

This would not go well if we had waited in an hour long queue prior to doing this. But because we can predict and somewhat control the exposure to things that might cause problems its manageable. This is of course a parent's way of managing it for someone with severe autism, but I'd imagine the same approach would work for those without a developmental disability but whose condition makes heat exposure or small spaces a problem for them.
💯

The tension/release concept especially.

Chi84

Premium Member
basically, it comes down to degrees. People may be able to handle enclosed spaces for short periods, but not an hour+ without their disability then being an issue. Having difficulty with enclosed spaces for some amount of time or in certain spaces doesn't mean having it for all amounts of time in all spaces.
I think this is exactly why Disney feels comfortable accommodating the disability at the entrance to each attraction. The alternative - providing an accommodation that works for the disability even when not needed - has proved unworkable.

Angel Ariel

I think this is exactly why Disney feels comfortable accommodating the disability at the entrance to each attraction. The alternative - providing an accommodation that works for the disability even when not needed - has proved unworkable.
Which is fine if they're actually doing that, but given how sparingly RTQ is supposedly meant to be given, that doesn't seem like it should truly be considered a part of the offerings. If they're auditing CMs and there's consequences for giving too many, then thats a different t discussion

Angel Ariel

To clarify - if RTQ were mentioned on the the pre visit call when someone is denied das, and it's noted on the back end that the guest has a max wait time of xx minutes, and then I as guest knew anytime I went to a queue that had a wait greater than xx minutes, that the RTQ would be granted - I still have to go to the attraction CM at the queue and request. And. I still have predictability and ability to plan to accommodate the disability needs in other ways (as @Gomer was kind enough to detail how planning the day is a big part of how families accommodate the needs as well).

that it is always at the discretion of a cast member, and knowing there are quotas and consequences for cast members going above it negatively impacts the ability for the family to plan and organize other accommodations throughout the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom