New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

natatomic

Remember when it was just Fastpass... but GAC abuse was still so bad they had to kill GAC and introduce DAS?

Yeah... that's the reality... no need to try to blame Genie+... the abuse is as old as the clickbait articles and slimly people that encouraged others to lie to get an advantage.
To be fair, the abuse was still very different. GAC was an unlimited, immediate fast pass, essentially. No waiting for return times, no limits on rerides, given out like candy (I posted earlier in the thread of a man who was given one because he claimed he sometimes “wobbled” when he stood), etc. FPs were free, yes, but they still had their limitations which made the GAC very desirable to have to cheaters.

The switch to the DAS helped alleviate much of that abuse at first. Those with physical disabilities weren’t always granted one (Mr. WobblyPants probably no longer qualified), there were no immediate re-rides, had to wait for return times. It definitely helped. And FP+ was free and had similar constrictions (aside from the possibility of an attraction running out of FPs and no multiple FPs for the same ride), so aside from the diehard cheaters, FP+ was suitable for most people, especially those who had a conscious about lying about a disability.

But then they changed it to Genie+, and now those free fast passes everyone had been conditioned to using for two decades were now going to cost their family hundreds of dollars (on average) the length of their stay. This is on top of the ever rising ticket prices, hotel rooms, food prices, etc. Now…a little lie (or heck, maybe just an exaggeration) of a sun sensitivity or stomach issues or a kid’s adhd doesn’t seem like such a big deal when you’re finding a way to save hundreds of dollars you never once had to shell out before (and that Disney never asked you to shell out!)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending the abusers or exaggerators. But I definitely think a lot of people who didn’t abuse the system before under original FP or FP+ were able to shove their guilt away REAL fast when they saw the price of their next vacation.

Vegas Disney Fan

Other parks have similar services, they just aren’t handed out like candy. Are you saying a disabled person is unable to attend Six Flags because providing a doctors note is too difficult?
No, a disabled person is unlikely to go to six flags because they aren’t going to be able to go on most of the rides.

Not many people with a heart condition (or nausea issues, or mobility issues) are going to a coaster heavy thrill park full of rides that they’ll struggle to get on.

Happyday

No, a disabled person is unlikely to go to six flags because they aren’t going to be able to go on most of the rides.

Not many people with a heart condition (or nausea issues, or mobility issues) are going to a coaster heavy thrill park full of rides that they’ll struggle to get on.
Exactly and add in those with physical and developmental struggles there is NO way we would be able to even do 25% of the rides. We have to do rider switch or single rider for some rides at Disney that number would be at least double. Not really a vacation for the individual with disabilities😕.

MickeyLuv'r

To be fair, the abuse was still very different. GAC was an unlimited, immediate fast pass, essentially. No waiting for return times, no limits on rerides, given out like candy (I posted earlier in the thread of a man who was given one because he claimed he sometimes “wobbled” when he stood), etc. FPs were free, yes, but they still had their limitations which made the GAC very desirable to have to cheaters.

The switch to the DAS helped alleviate much of that abuse at first.
An aspect of GAC, FP paper, and even to some extent FP+ was that initially many parkgoers didn't know about them, or didn't know how to fully use them, or were not interested in power-using them. Many parkgoers did not seek a 4th FP+, and only used the 3 prebooked ones without modifying them.

Since G+ doesn't have the3 prebooks, and it costs $, it makes sense park goers would want to use more than 3 passes/day from the service. In the days of FP+, if you didn't feel like using a pass, you didn't lose and money. Missing an ILL purchase often means losing $20+/person.

MDE has changed dramatically over the years. When FP+ was new, it was only 3 passes, and it was a pain to modify them. Early on, the only way to modify a FP+ was to use the in-park kiosk. There was often a solid 20minute wait to use the kiosks, and there was not much worth choosing.

When MDE was new, it was pretty limited. FP modifying was mostly useless. It was only over time that refresh became worthwhile, and even longer before the masses learned how to refresh. Even then, many parkgoers were not interested in refreshing.

Parkgoer behavior and WDW's technology have changed dramatically since the days of GAC. Before the DDP, most diners did not pre-book most dining.

Last edited:

phillip9698

The “disabled” people that Disney is trying to clamp down on have no problems with those rides.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Not interpreting or insinuating anything, but so far this year the self reported injuries for Disney in Orlando are:
  • Jan. 4: A 73-year-old man with a pre-existing condition lost consciousness after going on Spaceship Earth
  • Jan. 6: A 46-year-old woman had head pain and nausea after going on TRON Lightcycle Run
  • Jan. 13: A 63-year-old woman injured her leg while exiting the ride vehicle at Kilimanjaro Safaris Expedition
  • Jan. 23: A 32-year-old woman lost consciousness while riding Space Mountain
  • Jan. 24: A 70-year-old woman fell and injured her leg loading into the Spaceship Earth attraction
  • Feb. 18: A 68-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition felt shortness of breath after riding Slinky Dog Dash
  • Feb. 27: A 29-year-old man with a pre-existing condition lost consciousness after riding the Summit Plummet thrill ride
  • March 20: A 44-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition had a seizure after going on Frozen Ever After

Smiley/OCD

How are they realistically expect people to just walk back thru the line and know where there spot is? What happens if it takes longer than expected and their “spot” has ridden already?
There will be dedicated threads on here with not just pictures but videos of fights between guests…remember all the threads with low CM morale due to minimum wages??? You thought THAT was bad? Wait until the confrontations between guests and CM’s on a daily basis…my thoughts go out to the CMs…

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending the abusers or exaggerators. But I definitely think a lot of people who didn’t abuse the system before under original FP or FP+ were able to shove their guilt away REAL fast when they saw the price of their next vacation.

Or people’s standards continue to dwindle snd are willing to cheat more for lack of consequences…

Same way attitudes dwindle… morals die…petty crime like package theft is a thing by all types of people…

We have entire generations brought up with video fed to them constantly on how to get something for nothing…

natatomic

Or people’s standards continue to dwindle snd are willing to cheat more for lack of consequences…

Same way attitudes dwindle… morals die…petty crime like package theft is a thing by all types of people…

We have entire generations brought up with video fed to them constantly on how to get something for nothing…
True. And there weren’t as many videos online telling you how to cheat back in the days of GAC.

But I’m not gonna lie, if you came to me today and said, “If you go tell that stranger over there on the street corner, who you’ll never see again, that you 💩your pants, I’ll give you $500,” I’d do it. I think a lot of people are thinking about it ONLY that far and deep (and that’s essentially what they’re getting, a $X00 discount on their vacation), and not thinking of the moral implications when it comes to Disney. Not saying it’s right, but I think that’s the headspace of most abusers.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

There will be dedicated threads on here with not just pictures but videos of fights between guests…remember all the threads with low CM morale due to minimum wages??? You thought THAT was bad? Wait until the confrontations between guests and CM’s on a daily basis…my thoughts go out to the CMs…
Again everyone keeps saying lets wait and see how this goes. Maybe its me but i cant see how this can possibly go well at all if there truly are needs where multiple people need to leave these lines which honestly is going to be the case.

Splash4eva

Yep exactly & im sorry of no documentation is required and someone who feels they need DAS & knows they will be denied or gets denied they will simply lie to get what they want. As ive said. Disney has already given the blueprint

rtmachine

I think most of the confrontations will happen at the blue umbrella's where a group of 4 can't add on other family members who otherwise won't be able to ride due to mobility issues that don't qualify for their own DAS..speaking from experience of going from2,3,4 to 8,9,10ish

ditzee

I think most of the confrontations will happen at the blue umbrella's where a group of 4 can't add on other family members who otherwise won't be able to ride due to mobility issues that don't qualify for their own DAS..speaking from experience of going from2,3,4 to 8,9,10ish
I'm sure the DAS employees will explain that no CMs under the blue umbrellas can change anything that was granted on the video chat. Might help if they also explain that if someone causes trouble, they'll get banned.

TrainsOfDisney

Might help if they also explain that if someone causes trouble, they'll get banned.
Great plan…. Charge a fortune for a vacation, make it more difficult to receive benefits for a disability and if you dare raise your voice in frustration have CM’s call security.

That’s the Disney difference huh?

TrainsOfDisney

No one should be raising their voice at a cast member though.
right but guests who have spent crazy money and are trying to make it the best experience for their disabled family member are bound to be frustrated by this system - sometimes frustrated people raise their voice - it’s pretty understandable.

Patcheslee

I thought immediate family will all be allowed. It's when they get over 4 and not immediate family that becomes a no.

Vegas Disney Fan

The “disabled” people that Disney is trying to clamp down on have no problems with those rides.
Not true, my girlfriend’s heart condition will no longer qualify for DAS and she can’t go on probably 70% of the rides at Magic Mountain.

You seem to be ok with collateral damage as long as the cheaters can’t abuse the system anymore, those of us who are the collateral damage think it sucks though.

We’re older so we can use cruises to get our fix but it really sucks for the collateral damage people with kids.

Documentation would be the easy solution but our poorly written laws prevent that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom