New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

It doesnt need to be a strong medical review. The fact that an otherwise healthy person, in many cases a high schooler, is less likely to make a doctors appointment, fake a disability, receive a signed doctors note, and file it with said company before the trip makes it enough of a deterrent to be effective. Right now all they do is go to a booth and spout off key words they learned on Tik Tok.
Do you really not think doctors notes can be faked, especially in this day and age? Especially given that IBCCES' site gives you a link to a database of doctors to search through.

Jenny72

I think the key is plausible deniability. If I am at a self-checkout and, whoops, my package didn't scan right, who can prove it wasn't an accident? If I tell a CM that I am too anxious to wait in line, who can know how much I'm stretching the truth? I mean, I really *do* get anxious.

But a faked document -- now that is an artifact that proves definitively that I'm a liar. A lot fewer people are going to be willing to have that hanging out there with who knows what consequence.

I admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.

The Mom

Premium Member
If you cannot discuss this topic without being rude or insulting to other posters, please do not participate.

This is a situation where many posters have strong feelings, and may let their emotions take over. Understandable, but not allowed. Just as yelling at a poor CM over this change is understandable, but not acceptable. And taking your frustrations out by being rude on a message board is also not acceptable.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.
Disney hasn't been very clear, but the basic understanding I've gotten is that Inspire Health Alliance will train CMs on asking thorough questions, and then will be available to CMs if a conversation needs to be sent further up the chain.

ditzee

I think the key is plausible deniability. If I am at a self-checkout and, whoops, my package didn't scan right, who can prove it wasn't an accident? If I tell a CM that I am too anxious to wait in line, who can know how much I'm stretching the truth? I mean, I really *do* get anxious.

But a faked document -- now that is an artifact that proves definitively that I'm a liar. A lot fewer people are going to be willing to have that hanging out there with who knows what consequence.

I admit I actually thought that Disney *was* asking for documentation, with the partnership with that health company. So the company is just there to...troubleshoot? I don't get it.
This is what I think as well because faking a doctor's letter is forgery which can mean not just a permanent ban but also prison. How ironic would it be for a cheater to save a couple of hours standing in line and then end up getting 3-10 years for forgery plus a fine?

TrainsOfDisney

No one should be raising their voice at any CMs or at any other guest at all, much less fighting with them. Dear gods you just keep making it worse. Poor CMs that need to deal with the type of guests you are describing. Those guests should be removed and banned.
I feel like this thread is taking the turn where people are divided and trying to paint one side or the other as the enemy.

ditzee

I be willing to bet you a ton of money no one would do 3-10 years in jail let alone 3-10 hours.
Probably depends upon whether it's a first time offense, how far a doctor wants to push it and how far Disney wants to push it. IMO, a doctor would be the one to go hardest because it's her/his reputation that was at stake. Forgery is a felony.
A judge and jury can make a big difference - will a judge want to make an example of the offender? Will a jury think, "Oh crud, I know people who have done this and do they really deserve jail time?" OR "Dang it, I was standing in line and seeing all these people in LL with the blue light going off constantly. This person will pay.".

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Probably depends upon whether it's a first time offense, how far a doctor wants to push it and how far Disney wants to push it. IMO, a doctor would be the one to go hardest because it's her/his reputation that was at stake. Forgery is a felony.
A judge and jury can make a big difference - will a judge want to make an example of the offender? Will a jury think, "Oh crud, I know people who have done this and do they really deserve jail time?" OR "Dang it, I was standing in line and seeing all these people in LL with the blue light going off constantly. This person will pay.".

Doctors usually take the word of their patients regarding symptoms. People can get doctors notes without the doctor having to forge it. They can just lie about their symptoms or the severity of them

phillip9698

Do you really not think doctors notes can be faked, especially in this day and age? Especially given that IBCCES' site gives you a link to a database of doctors to search through.

Yes they can be faked, but again there are a lot fewer people who are going to go that route in a documented manner than people who will walk to a tent and repeat tik tok tips with zero consequences.

You don’t need to eliminate 100% of the fraud to have a major impact.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

According to a very recent Attractions Magazine article, Sesame Place in PA just announced new accommodations called Autism Days. On those days they will modify some rides and shows to be less loud/with reduced effects.

Thier general policy is to use the IBCCES card for those with disabilities. In the park, qualified guests are then granted 6 attraction passes, and/or 3 water attraction passes, to be used on 6 different rides or some repeats (repeating a ride = using one of the 6). Guests cannot use the passes at character greets or for shows. The passes are described as granting priority access via a special queue.

The pass is limited to a total of 4 guests, the passholder and 3 additional companions. As with other disability passes, the passholder must be one of the riders.

I've never been there, but it looks like they have a total of 15 rides, and 4 water slides (plus no wait wet options like a lazy river, splash areas, pool.) Looks like they have 3 shows and a parade.

The part I found interesting is the idea that the pass allows a specific number of uses per day.

phillip9698

According to a very recent Attractions Magazine article, Sesame Place in PA just announced new accommodations called Autism Days. On those days they will modify some rides and shows to be less loud/with reduced effects.

Thier general policy is to use the IBCCES card for those with disabilities. In the park, qualified guests are then granted 6 attraction passes, and/or 3 water attraction passes, to be used on 6 different rides or some repeats (repeating a ride = using one of the 6). Guests cannot use the passes at character greets or for shows. The passes are described as granting priority access via a special queue.

The pass is limited to a total of 4 guests, the passholder and 3 additional companions. As with other disability passes, the passholder must be one of the riders.

I've never been there, but it looks like they have a total of 15 rides, and 4 water slides (plus no wait wet options like a lazy river, splash areas, pool.) Looks like they have 3 shows and a parade.

The part I found interesting is the idea that the pass allows a specific number of uses per day.

Thats interesting, its been repeated here that limiting the use is illegal because non-disabled patrons dont have limited use on their rides.

Pending lawsuit?

Im beginning to think a lot of the aspects of these programs are not actually "illegal", they are just rules that some people dont like.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Thats interesting, its been repeated here that limiting the use is illegal because non-disabled patrons dont have limited use on their rides.

Pending lawsuit?

Im beginning to think a lot of the aspects of these programs are not actually "illegal", they are just rules that some people dont like.
This is true.

Fido Chuckwagon

Pending lawsuit?

Almost none of this has been tested in court. The very few precedents we do have are usually where the person with the disability loses the lawsuit (IE: the GAC lawsuit against Disney). What type of line-skipping system the ADA requires at a theme park, if it even requires any at all, is very much an open legal question.

MickeyLuv'r

Correct, you shouldn't be okay with losing hundreds if dollars. In that situation, the correct response is to ask for a supervisor.
except in both cases, i did that, and it did not work. the CM's refused.

The first time, it just happened the person who checked us in was a supervisor. She eventually made a short phone call to confirm my reservation, but that was only after refusing multiple times.

In the second scenario, we were never able to talk to a supervisor. The CM walked away several times, and claimed she had talked to a supervisor, but the supervisor never came to our table. It was over half an hour between the initial scan and when she finally scanned my companion's band.

When she didn't think my confirmation email was legit, and she would not scan any other bands, the next thing I asked was if there was a way she or a supervisor could look up our package. She just got angrier and doubled down.

In both situations, us using a relatively calm voice helped our case, but it was not easy to do.

RamblinWreck

Pending lawsuit?

Totally agree.

Disney could limit DAS passes to 3 rides a day and be just fine.

The average park guest only rides 3 rides a day. Any DAS user with 3 DAS passes could easily experience 3 rides with longer lines and a few shorter line attractions.

They could probably limit DAS usage to 2 rides per day and have no issue legally.

Angel Ariel

Almost none of this has been tested in court. The very few precedents we do have are usually where the person with the disability loses the lawsuit (IE: the GAC lawsuit against Disney). What type of line-skipping system the ADA requires at a theme park, if it even requires any at all, is very much an open legal question.
Sesame Place's program isn't just a queue related program either though. They require guests to fill out a questionnaire and then there are those that will be given a "personalized list" of rides they are allowed to go on based on that questionnaire.

I can't say I've seen anything like that at any other theme park. There's a lot of grey area in disability law and a lot, as someone else mentioned, has just not made it to the courts. Maybe it will someday, maybe it won't. No way to know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom