Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

phillip9698

I imagine the others don’t have those problems because most disabled people don’t go there. Disney has a disproportionately high number of disabled guests because people knew they’ve made accommodations that made it possible for disabled people to enjoy the parks. Disney will now join the growing list of places many people can no longer go, you may be ok with that but many others aren’t.

People think others are overreacting because they abused the system and they’ll now have to stand in long lines but the reality is they’re worried because they’re about to lose one of the only theme parks they could still go to. They aren’t worried about standing in line, they’re worried about not having any theme/amusement parks to go to anymore.

Other parks have similar services, they just aren’t handed out like candy. Are you saying a disabled person is unable to attend Six Flags because providing a doctors note is too difficult?

lazyboy97o

Other parks have similar services, they just aren’t handed out like candy. Are you saying a disabled person is unable to attend Six Flags because providing a doctors note is too difficult?
This question only works if Disney and Six Flags are considered equivalent experiences. There are all sorts of reasons why someone would go to Disney but not Six Flags that are well discussed.

phillip9698

This question only works if Disney and Six Flags are considered equivalent experiences. There are all sorts of reasons why someone would go to Disney but not Six Flags that are well discussed.

It works if a significant portion of people using DAS also attend other theme parks and do not use equivalent services. From what is being displayed on social media and personal accounts the answer to that question is that it is absolutely taking place.

Chip Chipperson

The question works because it was in response to another poster saying former DAS users are losing access to the only park they CAN go to, not the only park they WANT to go to. "Are Six Flags parks accessible" is a different issue than "Are Six Flags parks as fun as WDW."

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And Six Flags is currently being sued because of it. If that system survives the courts then Disney likely ends up with something similar down the line if/when the new one falls apart.
I don't think it's about the system falling apart as much as it is about $.

I don't see a board room meeting taking place and Disney execs are discussing wait times and guest experience due to DAS

I do see a boardroom meeting and execs discussing converting a % of DAS users to genie+.

And the best part of their plan was to announce DAS abuse causing longer wait times and now the brand loyalists with Stockholm syndrome will champion the efforts for them.

Angel Ariel

It works if a significant portion of people using DAS also attend other theme parks and do not use equivalent services. From what is being displayed on social media and personal accounts the answer to that question is that it is absolutely taking place.

This is where the discussion goes awry because, unlike the discussion of DAS where @lentesta has provided specific data to show DAS use, we on this thread don't have such information for the other parks. I'm sure there are people on social media who use DAS at Disney and then don't elsewhere - not debating that exists. But a significant percentage of DAS users doing that? There's no data to make that claim.

Anecdotally -we've gone to other theme parks, and yep we use their disability services while there. One of them I would argue has a much more generous program than DAS - you get to enter at the exit, and you can stay on the ride for 2 consecutive rides without getting off if you so choose. It's a theme park designed for kids - mostly younger kids - but even during the summer, it's clearly not abused (and also no documentation required there).

A six flags, though, and universal Hollywood - we definitely won't return to the latter for some time, and aren't likely to seek out the former. In both instances because the rides aren't super accessible. We go to Disney because the rides - even many of the thrill rides - are so much more accessible. I would posit that the accessibility of the rides (or lack thereof) at places like 6 flags drives down the numbers of those with disabilities going more so than their documentation program. Having just done universal's documentstion process, to be very frank, it feels like theatre. 🤷‍♀️

Angel Ariel

The question works because it was in response to another poster saying former DAS users are losing access to the only park they CAN go to, not the only park they WANT to go to. "Are Six Flags parks accessible" is a different issue than "Are Six Flags parks as fun as WDW."
And 6 flags parks are significantly less accessible. We found universal Hollywood also to lack accessibility, even in Mario land. I've heard universal Orlando is better so we will try it, but I'm skeptical after universal Hollywood z

Dranth

I don't think it's about the system falling apart as much as it is about $.

I don't see a board room meeting taking place and Disney execs are discussing wait times and guest experience due to DAS

I do see a boardroom meeting and execs discussing converting a % of DAS users to genie+.

And the best part of their plan was to announce DAS abuse causing longer wait times and now the brand loyalists with Stockholm syndrome will champion the efforts for them.
Maybe, but the overall ride utilization by DAS users plus their party on the more popular attractions is unsustainable. I trust Len and his numbers and they were also confirmed by people with Disney so no reason to doubt there is a problem.

Sure, Disney wants to make more money but that doesn't mean that changes didn't have to be made.

Finally, at least here, we already knew that DAS was causing issues from numbers Len provided long before Disney said anything. You can call it Stockholm Syndrome all you want but it is just math. Less people utilizing the LL line means faster access for everyone and move movement in the stand by line. The ONLY way that doesn't work is if Disney sells G+ to every single person that is already using G+ plus all the people no longer on DAS. Even that only works mathematically if the DAS person who is now using G+ never did a single re-ride while using DAS. If they did and are now limited to stand by and one skip the line wait per attraction, then lines are still better off in the new system.

Last edited:

Dranth

And 6 flags parks are significantly less accessible. We found universal Hollywood also to lack accessibility, even in Mario land. I've heard universal Orlando is better so we will try it, but I'm skeptical after universal Hollywood z
I don't know from any first-hand use, but have been told Orlando is much better. Might just be that it is newer so more thought was put in when it was being built vs. Hollywood but assuming the family likes the type of rides Uni offers, it is worth a trip.

Angel Ariel

I don't know from any first-hand use, but have been told Orlando is much better. Might just be that it is newer so more thought was put in when it was being built vs. Hollywood but assuming the family likes the type of rides Uni offers, it is worth a trip.
the biggest draw is Harry Potter - she enjoyed that land at UH, and think she'd enjoy Diagon alley also. The IOA coasters are not likely to happen (safety for her). We will try it, but my expectations are low. I don't feel that way when we go to Disney. The only things at WDW that are outright nos are space mtn (because it's back to back seating, not side by side. She rode it fine at DLR side by side this year), and rockin' roller coaster.

Figgy1

Premium Member
the biggest draw is Harry Potter - she enjoyed that land at UH, and think she'd enjoy Diagon alley also. The IOA coasters are not likely to happen (safety for her). We will try it, but my expectations are low. I don't feel that way when we go to Disney. The only things at WDW that are outright nos are space mtn (because it's back to back seating, not side by side. She rode it fine at DLR side by side this year), and rockin' roller coaster.
She'll be able to see all of Potter both lands and what she can't do in her chair there are elevators that will allow her to get everywhere. The ques are experiences in their own right and you can do the 'chicken exit" or child swap after doing them. As for doing the rides I'd watch videos to see what she can safely do and go from there

natatomic

Remember when it was just Fastpass... but GAC abuse was still so bad they had to kill GAC and introduce DAS?

Yeah... that's the reality... no need to try to blame Genie+... the abuse is as old as the clickbait articles and slimly people that encouraged others to lie to get an advantage.
To be fair, the abuse was still very different. GAC was an unlimited, immediate fast pass, essentially. No waiting for return times, no limits on rerides, given out like candy (I posted earlier in the thread of a man who was given one because he claimed he sometimes “wobbled” when he stood), etc. FPs were free, yes, but they still had their limitations which made the GAC very desirable to have to cheaters.

The switch to the DAS helped alleviate much of that abuse at first. Those with physical disabilities weren’t always granted one (Mr. WobblyPants probably no longer qualified), there were no immediate re-rides, had to wait for return times. It definitely helped. And FP+ was free and had similar constrictions (aside from the possibility of an attraction running out of FPs and no multiple FPs for the same ride), so aside from the diehard cheaters, FP+ was suitable for most people, especially those who had a conscious about lying about a disability.

But then they changed it to Genie+, and now those free fast passes everyone had been conditioned to using for two decades were now going to cost their family hundreds of dollars (on average) the length of their stay. This is on top of the ever rising ticket prices, hotel rooms, food prices, etc. Now…a little lie (or heck, maybe just an exaggeration) of a sun sensitivity or stomach issues or a kid’s adhd doesn’t seem like such a big deal when you’re finding a way to save hundreds of dollars you never once had to shell out before (and that Disney never asked you to shell out!)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending the abusers or exaggerators. But I definitely think a lot of people who didn’t abuse the system before under original FP or FP+ were able to shove their guilt away REAL fast when they saw the price of their next vacation.

Vegas Disney Fan

No, a disabled person is unlikely to go to six flags because they aren’t going to be able to go on most of the rides.

Not many people with a heart condition (or nausea issues, or mobility issues) are going to a coaster heavy thrill park full of rides that they’ll struggle to get on.

Happyday

No, a disabled person is unlikely to go to six flags because they aren’t going to be able to go on most of the rides.

Not many people with a heart condition (or nausea issues, or mobility issues) are going to a coaster heavy thrill park full of rides that they’ll struggle to get on.
Exactly and add in those with physical and developmental struggles there is NO way we would be able to even do 25% of the rides. We have to do rider switch or single rider for some rides at Disney that number would be at least double. Not really a vacation for the individual with disabilities😕.

MickeyLuv'r

To be fair, the abuse was still very different. GAC was an unlimited, immediate fast pass, essentially. No waiting for return times, no limits on rerides, given out like candy (I posted earlier in the thread of a man who was given one because he claimed he sometimes “wobbled” when he stood), etc. FPs were free, yes, but they still had their limitations which made the GAC very desirable to have to cheaters.

The switch to the DAS helped alleviate much of that abuse at first.
An aspect of GAC, FP paper, and even to some extent FP+ was that initially many parkgoers didn't know about them, or didn't know how to fully use them, or were not interested in power-using them. Many parkgoers did not seek a 4th FP+, and only used the 3 prebooked ones without modifying them.

Since G+ doesn't have the3 prebooks, and it costs $, it makes sense park goers would want to use more than 3 passes/day from the service. In the days of FP+, if you didn't feel like using a pass, you didn't lose and money. Missing an ILL purchase often means losing $20+/person.

MDE has changed dramatically over the years. When FP+ was new, it was only 3 passes, and it was a pain to modify them. Early on, the only way to modify a FP+ was to use the in-park kiosk. There was often a solid 20minute wait to use the kiosks, and there was not much worth choosing.

When MDE was new, it was pretty limited. FP modifying was mostly useless. It was only over time that refresh became worthwhile, and even longer before the masses learned how to refresh. Even then, many parkgoers were not interested in refreshing.

Parkgoer behavior and WDW's technology have changed dramatically since the days of GAC. Before the DDP, most diners did not pre-book most dining.

Last edited:

phillip9698

The “disabled” people that Disney is trying to clamp down on have no problems with those rides.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Not interpreting or insinuating anything, but so far this year the self reported injuries for Disney in Orlando are:
  • Jan. 4: A 73-year-old man with a pre-existing condition lost consciousness after going on Spaceship Earth
  • Jan. 6: A 46-year-old woman had head pain and nausea after going on TRON Lightcycle Run
  • Jan. 13: A 63-year-old woman injured her leg while exiting the ride vehicle at Kilimanjaro Safaris Expedition
  • Jan. 23: A 32-year-old woman lost consciousness while riding Space Mountain
  • Jan. 24: A 70-year-old woman fell and injured her leg loading into the Spaceship Earth attraction
  • Feb. 18: A 68-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition felt shortness of breath after riding Slinky Dog Dash
  • Feb. 27: A 29-year-old man with a pre-existing condition lost consciousness after riding the Summit Plummet thrill ride
  • March 20: A 44-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition had a seizure after going on Frozen Ever After

Smiley/OCD

How are they realistically expect people to just walk back thru the line and know where there spot is? What happens if it takes longer than expected and their “spot” has ridden already?
There will be dedicated threads on here with not just pictures but videos of fights between guests…remember all the threads with low CM morale due to minimum wages??? You thought THAT was bad? Wait until the confrontations between guests and CM’s on a daily basis…my thoughts go out to the CMs…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom