New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

Listen i have DAS and understand plenty of conditions but bc of this all or nothing attitude is the reason why we are where we are at … yes things happen no denying that but people who have plenty of conditions no longer included most likely dont suffer majority of times and again im NOT saying all of them but as i stated im pretty confident in saying most people who claimed “anxiety” dont have panic attacks every time. Most people who claim “ibs” dont need to go to bath every 20 minutes. Funny those same people have NO issue riding stuff like RISE, KS, Soarin etc have no issues yet a 10 minute line is a problem?!? People got greedy and felt entitled and here we are. Good luck in court is what i tell everyone.
No one is denying that people either stretched the truth or outright lied. We are not talking about those people. It is easy to sit in judgement of others when you are removed from it. And you do realize that there is a huge variety of different medical conditions other then IBS and anxiety, that everyone loves to use as an example, right? I don't understand the animosity so many here have towards those with legitimate medical conditions. NO ONE can say what is best for other people and to mock them and say "you are just fine waiting in line", is not something that I would expect from those who say they or a family member has a disability.

jaklgreen

Yes but the difference is the line is not causing the issue. The issue happens everywhere, not just in lines. Same as being in a car, that person has to plan ahead and sometimes stop randomly.
Yeah, people spend their life planning. Y'all are acting as if trying to get out of a queue is easy. It is neither easy nor fast. If Disney modified their queues to make them have a "exit" lane, then it would be different.

NotTheOne

No one is denying that people either stretched the truth or outright lied. We are not talking about those people. It is easy to sit in judgement of others when you are removed from it. And you do realize that there is a huge variety of different medical conditions other then IBS and anxiety, that everyone loves to use as an example, right? I don't understand the animosity so many here have towards those with legitimate medical conditions. NO ONE can say what is best for other people and to mock them and say "you are just fine waiting in line", is not something that I would expect from those who say they or a family member has a disability.
Ok, I'll go beyond bathroom issues such as IBS...diabetics, heat sensitivity, oxygen tanks, terminal cancer, feeding tubes, amputees...all of those conditions can utilize accommodations other than DAS.

jaklgreen

Not when the rest of the party is waiting inside the line.
Are they offering that as an alternative or are they telling people to get in line and then leave if necessary? Because from what everyone is saying, that is not given out very often. And of course, you can't do that if you are solo or have minor children with you as the only adult.

NotTheOne

Are they offering that as an alternative or are they telling people to get in line and then leave if necessary? Because from what everyone is saying, that is not given out very often. And of course, you can't do that if you are solo or have minor children with you as the only adult.
Rider swap is mentioned on the Disney disability pages as being an alternative - you talk to the CM before entering the attraction.

The one I've heard about not being given often is the return time, which I understand, as that's basically just a DAS without it being in the system.

jaklgreen

Ok, I'll go beyond bathroom issues such as IBS...diabetics, heat sensitivity, oxygen tanks, terminal cancer, feeding tubes, amputees...all of those conditions can utilize accommodations other than DAS.
What a fun family vacation that is. To spend the majority of the time away from your family because you have a disability. Sounds a bit discriminatory. That is NOT a comparable experience to what typical people have.

NotTheOne

What a fun family vacation that is. To spend the majority of the time away from your family because you have a disability. Sounds a bit discriminatory. That is NOT a comparable experience to what typical people have.
If you get to experience the attractions, you're having a comparable experience to other guests, and that's all the ADA requires.

This is the exact attitude that Splash4Eva has been talking about...no willingness to give up anything. No one is owed their accommodation of choice.

Splash4eva

Actually ive state there are others and im a BIG proponent of DAS especially as someone who needs it…, BUT im also realistic and realize that there are other ways Disney could take care of people who need assistance. So im NOT judging but im also keeping it real that lets face it. There are other ways to handle and accommodate plenty if NOT all conditions other than handing someone access to book rides via an app based on certain conditions bc they “may” happen. Again im saying this as a person with DAS. The fact that i and others were able to book the same ride multiple times with no restrictions is an “advantage” and anyone who denies it is kidding themselves. Yes i get DAS users are ones who have disabilities and yes who cares is they have that advantage for a week of their lives other people shouldn't let that ruin their trips either. Problem is DAS users dont wanna admit that. Before Disney made these changes ive suggested ways to help. Get rid of pre books. Lower the party size and limit it to basically immediate family for most exceptions. Re rides a Major issue. Limit those somehow. Prevent people from booking immediately. There was ways Disney could have eased the system and still been fair but the fact im sure they were worried about law suits etc prevented that. So now as i said earlier good luck in court trying to convince a judge Disney is being unfair…

Splash4eva

If you get to experience the attractions, you're having a comparable experience to other guests, and that's all the ADA requires.

This is the exact attitude that Splash4Eva has been talking about...no willingness to give up anything. No one is owed their accommodation of choice.
Exactly. See my post i just made. As i said they could have easily limited my access in the ways i said and in no way would i felt slighted

Splash4eva

What is wrong with being able to ride the same ride more than once a day? Who is stopping everyone else from doing the same? Are you saying that everyone that goes to the parks ONLY rides each ride one time? I don't get that argument at all.
Listen i have DAS. And i would easily be able to ride any headliner i wanted 3 times a day at least without it having any negative effect on my day in the parks and im sorry. NOBODY that is not on DAS can say that. So yes Disney should have found a way to limit this. 100% and again im saying this as someone who has DAS

jaklgreen

If Disney was slightly more specific on how people can get in and out of lines and made it somewhat easier. Plenty of conditions could have been dealt with by allowing them to enter and exit the line when needed
I agree, because as it stands now, it is unreasonable to expect people to try to get out of the queues, especially if you are 20+minutes in. They are far too narrow and frankly, people are jerks and don't want to make way. Couple that with someone actually having an emergency, and you have a horrible situation.

jennab55

Yeah, people spend their life planning. Y'all are acting as if trying to get out of a queue is easy. It is neither easy nor fast. If Disney modified their queues to make them have a "exit" lane, then it would be different.
Getting out of a line isn’t that bad. Now this is without an ECV or wheelchair, I can’t say anything about those. My husband has left the line a few times or not entered the line because he can tell a flair is coming. It wasn’t an issue. People get out of the way because you are leaving. What do they care? Yes, my husband has missed rides with us, or I plan certain rides at certain times (like not safari after a meal). But honestly that’s life. There’s other times when he misses stuff because he’s stuck in the bathroom. Does it suck, yep absolutely, but that is his life. Cant really tell when these things are going to happen.

NotTheOne

Disability accommodations, including DAS, as there to ensure access; they are not there to make up for the hardships of everyday life, and they are not there to get more done in less time because someone can't spend a full day in the park. They're there to provide access, period.

if everyone with a valid disability were given a DAS, it would negatively impact every other guest in the park, including other disabled guests. Disney has a right, no, a responsibility, to avoid that outcome. They've chosen to limit DAS based on issues caused by the line rather than issues that might occur in the line.

A line had to be drawn, and I think Disney got it right. My hope is that they don't back down, and continue to hold the line.

jennab55

You can tell the CM you need to wait outside the line and join the rest of your party at the merge (through the LL). My understating is this is allowed.

Angel Ariel

I have all the compassion in the world for the guests who can no longer access DAS. I also hate the idea of families needing to split . I hate the anxiety it's causing people who should absolutely qualify but now aren't sure. The inconsistency of application is an issue.

BUT all that said - Disney has decided that the line it's now drawing is that the line needs to *cause* the disability related issue.

We can go in circles here forever about what should be or what could be - but to what end? None of what is said here changes what Disney is doing, nor will it.

Splash4eva

And yours is the attitude I’ve been talking about - seemingly no amount of compassion for families who have many challenges in life and want to experience the parks.
Again i dont think is not having compassion its when someone has an all or nothing attitude it rubs people the wrong way we saw the same w GAC when it changed. I agree who cares if people for a week has an “advantage” but as times goes it things have to evolve and change and some people refuse to see or accept that and here we are a good amount of people who legit need DAS now being denied

jennab55

So what about families with young children who have to do this? Is that discriminatory? A lot of families have to split up for a variety of reasons. Is it preferable, no, but it is an option to be able to RIDE with your family still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom