New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

Therefore, the comma
like autism or similar disorder, are unable

Should be understood as:
like autism or similar disorder that are unable

?

Sincerely trying to understand.

"Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time." That can be rewritten to say:

"Guests who are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder."

Vegas Disney Fan

This statement doesn't make sense to me. Disney is becoming more like "everyone else" so the solution is to go to the other places that have already and continue to be much less accommodating than Disney and give them your money?

If that's the case then the level of accomodation isn't the reason you are going elsewhere, it's spite.
I’m not talking about going to other theme parks that are similarly equipped to accommodate people with disabilities, I’m talking about cruises, Europe, national parks, and the millions of other places that are fighting for our vacation dollars, many were formerly more difficult to visit than Disney thanks to DAS, most are now easier to visit than Disney thanks to the loss of DAS.

It’s a huge world that consists of a lot of places that aren’t theme parks.

Angel Ariel

This statement doesn't make sense to me. Disney is becoming more like "everyone else" so the solution is to go to the other places that have already and continue to be much less accommodating than Disney and give them your money?

If that's the case then the level of accomodation isn't the reason you are going elsewhere, it's spite.
I don't speak for @Vegas Disney Fan , but I think the calculus people are making now is if the level of accommodations at Disney now is the same level of accommodations as many other places due to these new changes, then people are likely to look at the options that now have similar accommodation level to Disney but are significantly less expensive than Disney.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't speak for @Vegas Disney Fan , but I think the calculus people are making now is if the level of accommodations at Disney now is the same level of accommodations as many other places due to these new changes, then people are likely to look at the options that now have similar accommodation level to Disney but are significantly less expensive than Disney.
This is definitely a factor also, ten years ago there was a massive price difference between a trip to Disney and a trip to Europe, that price difference has diminished greatly over the years.

When the option was a week in Paris for $5k vs a week in WDW for $2k they were in different leagues, especially when WDW was so much easier since you got luggage delivery, Magical Express, free FP, etc… from the time you got off the plane at MCO until the time you got back on the plane at MCO Disney took care of you. Now it’s a week in Paris for $10k vs a week in WDW for $8k, and you have to take care of your luggage, rental cars/ride shares, etc yourself and a compatible experience now includes micro transactions that eat into that price difference even further… the price difference has diminished and the ease of the WDW vacation has diminished, this makes Paris (or London, or Oslo, etc) a much more appealing alternative.

It also makes places like Yellowstone, that were formerly a similarly priced vacation, much more appealing since they’re now much cheaper than a Disney vacation.

Chi84

Premium Member
So I wouldn’t think that is Disney being discriminatory, it is just people who used to qualify trying to see if they can still qualify regardless of what the website now says.
They are definitely discriminating (as in differentiating) between developmental disabilities and others by intending to extend the DAS program only to the former.

I’m not saying it’s illegal or unreasonable. But they intend the program to be for people with developmental disabilities and not physical ones. They’re being very clear about it. It’s their program and they have a right to extend it as they see fit.

What happens in actual practice may be different, but that doesn’t mean it’s in accordance with Disney’s stated intent.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

"Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time." That can be rewritten to say:

"Guests who are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder."
Yours sounds clearer.

Too bad Disney is a poor communicator. Intentional?

jaklgreen

Disclaimers up front:
1 - I agree that IEPs shouldn't be used as proof of anything.

2- nothing I am about to say is about your family's personal experience

This generalized assertion is what I disagree with, as it is fundamentally incorrect. I'm not saying there's never one off situations where school districts might over provide, but that's NOT the norm. IEPs are provided from the "Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act" (IDEA). It's in the name. It requires evidence and data based decisions to support that a child has a disability.

Learning disabilities don't mean someone has a lower than average IQ. Nor does having a learning disability mean someone is incapable of learning. There are thousands of "twice exceptional" students - students who are both gifted and have a disability.

Sticking to the concept of IEPs shouldn't be used for proof, I agree. The generalized assertion that theres this number of students with IEPs who don't actually have disabilities, however, I disagree with.
That is all that I am saying, the an IEP should never be uses as any kind of proof of disability.

jaklgreen

I agree that they're not interchangeable. The ADA and IDEA are different conversations. The poster was referring to IDEA contexts, however, and saying things in the IEP context weren't disabilities that isn't the case. That is what I was responding to.

That they are not interchangeable is why I agreed, and made clear that I agreed, that IEPs shouldn't be used as proof in this Disney context.
No, I said that every kid that has an IEP has a disability in the way that you are referring. Many just need extra help learning, but are not affected in their day to day life.

jennab55

That is good to hear because their website says otherwise. That alone makes people think that Disney doesn't want them there.
The website does not make it sound like Disney doesn’t want non developmentally disabled people there. You are just making stuff up now. They state on the website that there are different types of accommodations for different needs. DAS is just one type of accommodation and meant for a select group of people. That does not mean other disabled people are left with nothing and Disney doesn’t want them. Stop just making up random stuff because you are upset.

jaklgreen

The website does not make it sound like Disney doesn’t want non developmentally disabled people there. You are just making stuff up now. They state on the website that there are different types of accommodations for different needs. DAS is just one type of accommodation and meant for a select group of people. That does not mean other disabled people are left with nothing and Disney doesn’t want them. Stop just making up random stuff because you are upset.
It clearly says that DAS is intended for those with autism or similar disabilities. To people that are not familiar with the parks, like everyone here is, it absolutely sounds like Disney will not accommodate anyone else. Join a few Disney planning groups other than this one and look at the questions people ask. Read the last several posts here talking about it. That is exactly what people are discussing, how poorly written the website is, making it sound as if Disney is only accommodating autism or similar. I am not upset, I just need people to stop twisting what is being said just because you want to disagree.

Chi84

Premium Member
It clearly says that DAS is intended for those with autism or similar disabilities. To people that are not familiar with the parks, like everyone here is, it absolutely sounds like Disney will not accommodate anyone else. Join a few Disney planning groups other than this one and look at the questions people ask. Read the last several posts here talking about it. That is exactly what people are discussing, how poorly written the website is, making it sound as if Disney is only accommodating autism or similar. I am not upset, I just need people to stop twisting what is being said just because you want to disagree.
Disney is still offering accommodations, but they are not giving DAS to as many people as they did previously.

nickys

Premium Member
On the main disability page there are sections for several types of disability.

The section I quoted listed the different types of accommodations available.

It does say that DAS is offered to those who cannot tolerate waiting in line, such as those with autism.

However it also says you can video call to find out about accommodations for your disability.

DAS is just one type of accommodations offered, and nowhere does it say it’s the only option.

I can understand that those who used to get DAS could be going direct to the DAS page (which I can’t see), reading it and ending there. If they read the main Disabilities page they would see the range of accommodations and that they can call to discuss them.

jennab55

On the main disability page there are sections for several types of disability.

The section I quoted listed the different types of accommodations available.

It does say that DAS is offered to those who cannot tolerate waiting in line, such as those with autism.

However it also says you can video call to find out about accommodations for your disability.

DAS is just one type of accommodations offered, and nowhere does it say it’s the only option.

I can understand that those who used to get DAS could be going direct to the DAS page (which I can’t see), reading it and ending there. If they read the main Disabilities page they would see the range of accommodations and that they can call to discuss them.
This 100%. The main disability page lists other options as well. It’s only people who were used to having DAS that are going straight to that page. Start at the main disability page and there is more information. People are just choosing to be mad and only see what they want to see.

jennab55

Yes that is what DAS is intended for. However, there is a whole page before that on disabilities in general. People who don’t even know about DAS wouldn’t go straight to the DAS page.

Read the very first sentence of the page https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

“Disney is dedicated to providing a great experience for all Guests, including those with disabilities, which is why we are so committed to delivering a wide range of innovative support services aimed at helping our Guests with disabilities have a wonderful time when visiting our theme parks”

You are picking and choosing what you want to fit your narrative.

Disstevefan1

Yes, but not to be a poor communicator. They wanted to say “due to a developmental disability like autism” first, before people read “are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.”
To me, (and only me apparently), it’s not the order, it’s the comma.

Here is Disney’s text:
“Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time”

I (incorrectly) interpret the comma as listing reasons one could use DAS:
  • Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder.
  • Guests who are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.
Obviously I know from reading these forums, the new DAS qualifications are very specific but the wording (for me) reads differently.

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree with everyone saying that Disney Is offering a range of accommodations to fit different disabilities, but people are going to be upset by losing access to a line-skip (not wait skip) service. This type of experience is so desirable that Disney is selling people a service that allows them to wait elsewhere instead of standing in line.

I know I’m being repetitive but Disney wants to reserve the LLs for people who are paying for them, which includes both disabled and non disabled people. Before they started charging, they were willing to give a greater disability accommodation than was absolutely necessary. But in order to charge for the LLs, they had to make sure they had enough value for paying customers. So disabled persons who are able to be accommodated in lines will not be getting DAS.

If it is possible for a disabled person to be accommodated in line but the person finds the accommodation difficult or uncomfortable, they do have access to the LLs through the paid system. The ADA does not require accommodations to be completely without difficulty or discomfort. It is far more concerned about businesses providing access.

Last edited:

jennab55

All Disney truly needs to do and figure out is a clear answer on how the RTQ works and then anyone who has IBS/Anxiety and all the other extremely lax reasons Disney allowed is solved. Maybe they cant for every ride but a clearer picture would have helped. Only allow 1-2 guests unless its immediate family sorry not sorry again years of abuse has forced their hand. To me there were ways they could have handled this much better
Wouldn’t we be right back in the same place then? All the overuse clogging up the LLs? It would be just like having DAS but having to walk to the ride instead of selecting it in the app. Or are you assuming those people would only use it if their need arises, not for every ride?

Splash4eva

Wouldn’t we be right back in the same place then? All the overuse clogging up the LLs? It would be just like having DAS but having to walk to the ride instead of selecting it in the app. Or are you assuming those people would only use it if their need arises, not for every ride?
All im saying this and im not saying everyone before i get attacked. People who have IBS DONT have to go to bathroom 24/7. Those who suffer from Anxiety. DONT suffer 24/7. Im sure you get my point. So all im saying is Disney decided to give people carte blanche with those Valid reasons now what they need to do is this. Okay its still valid but ONLY for when you need it and ONLY you can leave line or have 1 other with you and then rejoin the line at a certain point whether it be at a merge or another entry point wherever its not overly difficult on a good amount of rides to make this happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom