New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

I don’t think those types of restrictions would be practical to implement.
I agree restricting access to standby or only allowing a ride to be booked on DAS once in the vicinity aren't practical at this time, but putting and end time on the return would be very easy.

Angel Ariel

I didn't say attractions, I said rides.
The whole idea behind not having the ability to wait in another standby line that I've seen repeatedly in this thread is that nondisabled people can't wait in another line while in line for another, so therefore that restriction should exist for DAS. Nondisabled people can't ride the railroad around the park while waiting in line. They can't watch finding Nemo, or go meet the princesses.

It would be an interesting exercise to see Disney justify why getting in one standby line is OK while waiting for DAS yet waiting in a different standby line is not OK. They don't make super clear boundaries between what's a ride and what's an attraction - and never have.

NotTheOne

The whole idea behind not having the ability to wait in another standby line that I've seen repeatedly in this thread is that nondisabled people can't wait in another line while in line for another, so therefore that restriction should exist for DAS. Nondisabled people can't ride the railroad around the park while waiting in line. They can't watch finding Nemo, or go meet the princesses.

It would be an interesting exercise to see Disney justify why getting in one standby line is OK while waiting for DAS yet waiting in a different standby line is not OK. They don't make super clear boundaries between what's a ride and what's an attraction - and never have.
It's interesting exercise to me that people who claim DAS is just an accommodation that offers no advantage seem to be so dead set against the experience of DAS users being more in line with the experience of non-DAS users.

NotTheOne

I’m not sure how valuable it is to discuss options not chosen by Disney. The system has been implemented and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
I agree, I don't see them changing it unless what they've done doesn't work to keep the LLs down. And it does seem that more and more people are being approved, so time will tell.

Angel Ariel

It's interesting exercise to me that people who claim DAS is just an accommodation that offers no advantage seem to be so dead set against the experience of DAS users being more in line with the experience of non-DAS users.
I said nothing either way about it, so please don't assume where I fall. I truly don't see how Disney can readily make the boundary/distinction you are proposing.

But to respond to this - the experience we have had with DAS is and has always been in line with the experiences we had pre-DAS. I can't speak for anyone else, but DAS allows us to have an experience similar to what we did when it was not a necessary accommodation and we did not have it. Not better, not usually worse - but in line.

Splash4eva

I agree, I don't think it will change.

I also don't think they'll go the documentation route, since documentation really does nothing more than verify a diagnosis/disability. Since people with the same diagnosis can have different needs, I'm not sure proving a disability would help.

The changes I would like to see, acknowledging they won't happen, would be to put a time limit on the return (4 or 5 hours), not allow another DAS booking until you're in the vicinity of the ride you want to book, and not allowing DAS users to wait in a standby line while they have a DAS return time on the books.
They did the vicinity (actually having to go to ride thing) was one or biggest complaints. You are asking someone with a disability already to now walk and potentially criss cross the park?!? I see your time limit point but you can only book 1 at a time so what does that really prove unless you make it say an hour to prevent people and yes im guilty of it booking while say eating a character dinner or breakfast which takes time. Not allowing someone to walk on a ride basically is kinda pointless bc anyone with a real disability and need most likely cant wait more than say 20 minutes. The re rides are the biggest concern as ive been quoted as saying and to me the way you fix that is simply telling guests that after you use it you need to wait X amt of time before booking that same ride again. I know i have had drawback on this suggestion but again if some DAS users were not so greedy and expect the world without giving anything back we most likely are not having this conversation…

Splash4eva

Its also interesting that non DAS users simply ignore the fact that LEGITIMATE people who need it really gain no major advantage and tho who do so be it… Does it really bother you that much while on vacation that someone who lets face it struggles every day may have a slight “advantage”

Chi84

Premium Member
Its also interesting that non DAS users simply ignore the fact that LEGITIMATE people who need it really gain no major advantage and tho who do so be it… Does it really bother you that much while on vacation that someone who lets face it struggles every day may have a slight “advantage”
I don’t think it matters to argue over what bothers people. Once Disney started charging people for a system that allows them to wait elsewhere instead of standing in line, this was inevitable.

Disney is unique in having a large number of rides that are accessible to disabled people. There is no question that society now recognizes more people as needing accommodation. The number seeking DAS was unsustainable and this is the result.

There are several pages of posts with people arguing over how much of an advantage DAS provides. No need to rehash.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m not sure how valuable it is to discuss options not chosen by Disney. The system has been implemented and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
I was surprised to see this thread still showing up on the whats new section, we came to this conclusion a couple months ago, we’ll try the new system in Jan, if it works… great, if not we’re done with the Disney parks… what’s left to argue about?

Disney has made it crystal clear they aren’t going to go out of their way to accommodate people with disabilities anymore, no amount of arguing is going to change that, the only thing that will change their decision is if enough people stop giving them their money. Hopefully it won’t come to that but ultimately that’s our only recourse.

Chi84

Premium Member
I was surprised to see this thread still showing up on in the whats new section, we came to this conclusion a couple months ago, we’ll try the new system in Jan, if it works… great, if not we’re done with the Disney parks… what’s left to argue about?

Disney has made it crystal clear they aren’t going to go out of their way to accommodate people with disabilities anymore, no amount of arguing is going to change that, the only thing that will change their decision is if enough people stop giving them their money. Hopefully it won’t come to that but ultimately that’s our only recourse.
I don’t think that’s entirely fair. Disney is in this position because they have always been very generous in accommodating people with disabilities.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. Disney is in this position because they have always been very generous in accommodating people with disabilities.
That’s why I said “anymore”, Disney had a well earned reputation for going above and beyond and being the most accessible place for everyone, which likely lead to the problem of too many people with DAS in the first place, people need to accept that’s not true anymore, now they’re like everyone else. If the new system works for your disability that’s great, if it doesn’t it’s time to accept “old Disney” is gone and find a new place that still wants your business. It’s sad but not complicated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom