New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

How come this wasnt a “legal issue when it was 1st implemented. I literally waited 8 hours and got nowhere and then anoher 10 when i finally gotthru
Many laws have been passed because people complained so that the ADA / DOJ were aware of the issue and could determine what is right and wrong.

Splash4eva

I‘m not seeing it as a legal issue because they’re implementing their own voluntary program. The ADA doesn’t mandate DAS and no court so far has held that line-skip systems in any form are necessary to provide reasonable access. There could come a day when the DOJ gives its opinion or someone sues, but those things haven’t happened yet.

As far as the wait times, it’s unconscionably bad customer service. If you’re implementing a line accommodation program for certain people, they shouldn’t have to wait those ridiculous times to request inclusion in the program.
Agreed its terrible CS but it happens same way at times you are on hold for an airline or an insurance company etc. but it happens…

Splash4eva

Many laws have been passed because people complained so that the ADA / DOJ were aware of the issue and could determine what is right and wrong.
So should a law be passed when a regular person needs to wait on hold for airline travel after delays and cancellations? We just had probably a 6 hour wait a few weeks ago and the kicker is. Our bag is still
Missing. And we have called probably 7-8 other times as well…

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So should a law be passed when a regular person needs to wait on hold for airline travel after delays and cancellations? We just had probably a 6 hour wait a few weeks ago and the kicker is. Our bag is still
Those waits effect everyone. This wait specifically only effects people with disabilities and its something fully abled people don't have to go through. Not saying I know enough to know if it is illegal or should be. But that's pretty clearly a different issue.

TrainsOfDisney

So should a law be passed when a regular person needs to wait on hold for airline travel after delays and cancellations?
Absolutely - and you should report that to the DOT but don’t take my word for it!

F6477EDC-E5D3-47B6-91B8-FB0A0B2DA891.jpeg

Chi84

Premium Member
Of course not. Laws should be used judiciously, lest we become a nation of Karens.

But it’s different when Disney is extending a program specifically to the disabled, who face additional challenges. This is the very beginning of some drastic changes in DAS, which may explain some confusion and delays.

Are there long waits happening at WDW or primarily DLR? This site is WDW, that’s why I’m curious.

NotTheOne

Of course not. Laws should be used judiciously, lest we become a nation of Karens.

But it’s different when Disney is extending a program specifically to the disabled, who face additional challenges. This is the very beginning of some drastic changes in DAS, which may explain some confusion and delays.

Are there long waits happening at WDW or primarily DLR? This site is WDW, that’s why I’m curious.
From everything I've read, it appears to be primarily a Disneyland issue...not to say that there aren't long waits for WDW (I know that in the beginning the waits were awful), but when I hear about it now, it seems to be mostly Disneyland.

Chi84

Premium Member
How about just DOJ, since that's who accepts supposed ADA violation complaints.
Many people vastly overestimate what laws can reasonably protect them from or do for them.

I doubt the DOJ will ever address the subject of whether the ADA requires a program to allow disabled people to skip lines, much less concern themselves with long phone holds.

Chi84

Premium Member
The head of the DOT addressed it and urged anyone affected report to the DOT. He included long hold times as an example in multiple written posts and on video interviews.
He did say “no one should” . . . wait long.

Being stuck in an airport is a completely different situation.

Last edited:

ERED

So my family has been through the change from GAC to DAS and now this one. We were very nervous the first time as we found GAC very easy to use. Even through this iteration of DAS, we haven't had any issues. Honestly, looking back, waiting in line at guest relations to get your GAC was far longer than the wait to chat virtually with a CM. We have only done DW but I guess we are lucky in that we have had no issues. 🤷‍♂️

Fido Chuckwagon

The DOT does, so I would hope the DOJ does as well. (Long phone holds).
The two situations are not remotely comparable. If anyone really wants to do something about the long wait times, they’re going to need to hire an attorney and sue. The idea that the DOJ is going to use it’s limited resources to bring a case over long phone wait times for a disability service to skip lines at a theme park is almost silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom