New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Fido Chuckwagon

Why are they not?
Well, for starters:

1. The DOT directly regulates common carriers such as airlines, the DOJ doesn’t really in any way “regulate” theme parks; and
2. There is a fundamentally huge difference between being stranded because your flight is cancelled/delayed/etc;, and being denied access to a line skip system at an amusement park.

But by all means, waste your time and the DOJ’s tying up their phone lines to complain about hold times being too long at Disney. Absolutely nothing will come of it, but if it makes you feel better, I guess that’s all that really matters.

Ayla

The two situations are not remotely comparable. If anyone really wants to do something about the long wait times, they’re going to need to hire an attorney and sue. The idea that the DOJ is going to use it’s limited resources to bring a case over long phone wait times for a disability service to skip lines at a theme park is almost silly.
It's ridiculous, not "almost silly."

TrainsOfDisney

Well, for starters:

1. The DOT directly regulates common carriers such as airlines, the DOJ doesn’t really in any way “regulate” theme parks; and
2. There is a fundamentally huge difference between being stranded because your flight is cancelled/delayed/etc;, and being denied access to a line skip system at an amusement park.
Doesn’t the DOJ regulate ADA accessibility? Not sure if regulate is the right word - but that’s what you used.

Is it a “line skip system” or is it an accessibility for disabled guests?

NotTheOne

The new DAS system ( if one can qualify for it) provides free superior access compared folks without it.

In my mind that goes beyond just accommodation.

I feel sorry for the folks with real limitations who are now being rejected in this new system.
I don't think that in all cases it's beyond accommodation for those who really need it, but in many cases, yes, I would agree. I would definitely like to see some changes to it.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think that in all cases it's beyond accommodation for those who really need it, but in many cases, yes, I would agree. I would definitely like to see some changes to it.
I doubt it will change anytime soon. The only change I can see is possibly adding a documentation requirement to the current form of DAS if Six Flags wins the lawsuit.

NotTheOne

I doubt it will change anytime soon. The only change I can see is possibly adding a documentation requirement to the current form of DAS if Six Flags wins the lawsuit.
I agree, I don't think it will change.

I also don't think they'll go the documentation route, since documentation really does nothing more than verify a diagnosis/disability. Since people with the same diagnosis can have different needs, I'm not sure proving a disability would help.

The changes I would like to see, acknowledging they won't happen, would be to put a time limit on the return (4 or 5 hours), not allow another DAS booking until you're in the vicinity of the ride you want to book, and not allowing DAS users to wait in a standby line while they have a DAS return time on the books.

Angel Ariel

since documentation really does nothing more than verify a diagnosis/disability
That's not necessarily true. I told my daughter's ped when she wrote the letter for IBCCES that I did not want her diagnosis shared (as it would cause more questions than answer), and to focus on describing presentation that impacts her in theme parks. She used generic terms to reference the diagnosis rather than the specific name, and it worked out fine.

Yes, I did this voluntarily - but there's no reason an entity couldn't specify that this is what's required 🤷‍♀️

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, I don't think it will change.

I also don't think they'll go the documentation route, since documentation really does nothing more than verify a diagnosis/disability. Since people with the same diagnosis can have different needs, I'm not sure proving a disability would help.

The changes I would like to see, acknowledging they won't happen, would be to put a time limit on the return (4 or 5 hours), not allow another DAS booking until you're in the vicinity of the ride you want to book, and not allowing DAS users to wait in a standby line while they have a DAS return time on the books.
I don’t think those types of restrictions would be practical to implement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom