New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

I'm not saying I agree with making an ADA complaint on this incident - just to be clear up front.

That said, I've read numerous reports in various places since the change of people waiting 7-9 hours on DAS hold for DLR, just to be kicked off when they close for the night and have to do it again. Yes, that is absolutely unreasonable. My own wait for DLR online in January, before the change, was 3 hours signing in within 5 mins of the pacific opening time. (Whereas similar timing for WDW's opening time I would wait maybe 10-15 mins before being connected).

These ridiculously long times recently seem to be primarily happening at DLR, not WDW, and so it does raise some questions as to why is this such an issue in one place and not as much in the other? Especially considering DLR *does* have an in-person option as well, which WDW doesn't. Logic would follow that the online wait times should be less, not that much more.
California vs Florida. Another reason well ill leave the rest for you to decide ;)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
A 2 hour wait is one thing. 5,6,7+ hours? It's totally reasonable to have a problem with that - whether a person is disabled or not. That isn't accessible or professional IMO.
Might not be professional. This was happening ever since the move to video chat, not just recently with the changes. People seemed more tolerant of that wait before DAS approval rates declined.

There’s also an alternative, do it in person. Still a choice. Maybe someone decides it’s worth the wait because they can work it into their home multitasking schedule. Maybe that doesn’t work for them and they do in park instead.

People may not like doing it in person because their value of a visit depends on DAS approval. But that’s not a strong argument since accommodations will be offered no matter what. The only question is if it will be DAS or not. So the argument wouldn’t really be about accommodation approval before purchase, it would be if alternative accommodations meet legal requirements.

Don’t think much could ever be enforced beyond requiring a company do callbacks if the wait is forecasted to exceed a reasonable time.

Angel Ariel

Don’t think much could ever be enforced beyond requiring a company do callbacks if the wait is forecasted to exceed a reasonable time.
This would be a great fix. Our doctors do this. Don't know how Disney can do that with the online piece, given that it's not a phone call, but it would help tremendously.

And yes I realize waits were happening before the change - I shared that it happened to me prior to the change, so clearly aware of that. That said, there's no excuse for WDW to have very reasonable waits and DLR to have excessive ones. Staffing according to demand is a reasonable expectation to have. And FTR I felt that way before the change as well ;)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
This would be a great fix. Our doctors do this. Don't know how Disney can do that with the online piece, given that it's not a phone call, but it would help tremendously.

And yes I realize waits were happening before the change - I shared that it happened to me prior to the change, so clearly aware of that. That said, there's no excuse for WDW to have very reasonable waits and DLR to have excessive ones. Staffing according to demand is a reasonable expectation to have. And FTR I felt that way before the change as well ;)
I was responding to your comment in general, not just specifically a one on one conversation taking your entire post history into account ;)

TrainsOfDisney

True! But your advice to “complain to the ADA” is not good advice, since there’s no “ADA” to complain to. If you’re advising people to complain to the Department of Justice because of long hold times for a phone call, then by all means, advise that.
Yes, technically I’m suggesting they file an ADA complaint with the Department of Justice.

Chi84

Premium Member
True! But your advice to “complain to the ADA” is not good advice, since there’s no “ADA” to complain to. If you’re advising people to complain to the Department of Justice because of long hold times for a phone call, then by all means, advise that.
If you go to ADA.gov it tells you how to file a complaint and says if you don’t hear back from the DOJ in 3 months there’s a phone number to call to check on whether they’re going to investigate your complaint.

No info on where to file a complaint about the DOJ taking 3 months to get back to you.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

It looks like @lentesta has become the media go to guy on all things related to Disney Parks 👍

The problem that I have with the numbers that Disney used for that lawsuit was that those numbers where based off of the old GAC system. A system where it was pretty much a front of the line access. People were not waiting for a return time and then getting into the LL, they were just hopping on rides over and over. It was also used by those in wheelchairs and ECVs. I don't know how anyone can use that data for the DAS system in recent years as it is a completely different system, for how things are now. I find it disingenuous to keep bringing up old, out of date data that was used for a completely different system as if it is relevant today.
If you don't have data for recent years with the DAS system, then that should be said. At least it would be honest.

RSoxNo1

Our biggest issue is the wait time for the CM video chat, I am currently on hold for the third time after having to give up after 2 hours, and three hours in our first two attempts.

Its just life is making it really hard to have a spare four hours. Oh well. Maybe today
It's been my experience that WDW is fairly quick while Disneyland is glacial.

When I travel with my autistic brother, we are generally rolling 7 deep (My parents, brother, my wife, and my two kids). For our family, there is no doubt that my brother is who the current DAS system is designed for. The issue for us is the reduction in the number of guests assigned to the DAS at any one time. My parents wouldn't be able to navigate the parks without my wife or myself, and my wife and I wouldn't navigate the parks with my brother as well as our two children. When combined with the changes to LL, the new dynamic doesn't work for our family.

We were planning on a January trip that included my brother, and I've now been saying to family that I don't think it makes sense for he and my parents to go because of the 4 person cap + LL changes. I can speculate that Disney will come up with an accommodation that works for us, but they won't even have the conversation now without tickets in hand.

We stay offsite, and pre LL changes, the plan was for us to get APs in January. That's very likely out the door as well.

Purduevian

When I travel with my autistic brother, we are generally rolling 7 deep (My parents, brother, my wife, and my two kids). For our family, there is no doubt that my brother is who the current DAS system is designed for. The issue for us is the reduction in the number of guests assigned to the DAS at any one time. My parents wouldn't be able to navigate the parks without my wife or myself, and my wife and I wouldn't navigate the parks with my brother as well as our two children. When combined with the changes to LL, the new dynamic doesn't work for our family.

We were planning on a January trip that included my brother, and I've now been saying to family that I don't think it makes sense for he and my parents to go because of the 4 person cap + LL changes. I can speculate that Disney will come up with an accommodation that works for us, but they won't even have the conversation now without tickets in hand.

We stay offsite, and pre LL changes, the plan was for us to get APs in January. That's very likely out the door as well.
I am sorry this situation is happening however I'm confused, why it doesn't work for your situation.

Could you not get lets say a DAS return time for 7 Dwarf mine train. Get to the entrance with everyone. The 4 of you (you, wife and kids), get in line for the ride. Your parents and brother do Fantasyland things near the ride until its time to tap in for 7D?

TrainsOfDisney

Could you not get lets say a DAS return time for 7 Dwarf mine train. Get to the entrance with everyone. The 4 of you (you, wife and kids), get in line for the ride. Your parents and brother do Fantasyland things near the ride until its time to tap in for 7D?
Not trying to speak for them - but I’m guessing they want to experience the park and the attractions together.

It kind of baffles me how the answer from Disney is “just split up” - for many families the point of going to Disney is to experience it together.

Purduevian

Not trying to speak for them - but I’m guessing they want to experience the park and the attractions together.

It kind of baffles me how the answer from Disney is “just split up” - for many families the point of going to Disney is to experience it together.
Yeah, I can see that being frustrating. It's really a tough situation and balance for Disney to strike. It almost sounds like the return to queue might be better than DAS in that case since everyone would ride together.

jennab55

Can you buy LLMP for the other 3 in your party and coordinate times?

Chi84

Premium Member
I would imagine that’s kind of difficult. But splitting up parties is likely the norm once you get to a certain number even without DAS.

We’re going in November with a multi-generational party of 10 and probably won’t be able to ride too many things together.

Purduevian

They should allow DAS to act similar to return to queue at the merge point.

Group A, (the group without the DAS person) get in standby line. Once they reach the LL merge point, they call/text group B (the group with the DAS person). At that point Group A stands to the side and waits until Group B hits the merge, then all can ride together.

jennab55

They should allow DAS to act similar to return to queue at the merge point.

Group A, (the group without the DAS person) get in standby line. Once they reach the LL merge point, they call/text group B (the group with the DAS person). At that point Group A stands to the side and waits until Group B hits the merge, then all can ride together.
Yes this is also an option, but I was thinking if they all want to just go through the LL together, just buy LLMP for the others. I don’t think it would be that hard. Let’s say they get a LL for 1pm at mine train and wait is 1hr. The DAS holder and family just need to request one around noon or so and they can all go together between 1-2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom