New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

So you didn’t mean that Disney should limit those eligible to a smaller set of people.
I’m not sure what you are getting at - the concept is very clear - be more restrictive than before, not quite as restrictive as now.

Exactly where the line drawn isn’t clear, but it seems overly restrictive right now to some of us.

Angel Ariel

I don't think he made any assumptions, he was very clear to say in his example it was developmentally impaired adults that have agency. I am pretty sure we all know there are adults that need caretakers and would of course be encompassed in the new guidelines.
the bolded can also be developmentally impaired adults (ie - the italicized also applies to the bolded, they aren't necessarily separate)

Developmental impairments include cognitive impairments, and cognitive impairment doesn't always mean a person has developmental impairments. Neurological impairments can also be developmental and/or cognitive, but also can be neither.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but the language used to label and discuss disabilities matters.

Club Cooloholic

the bolded can also be developmentally impaired adults (ie - the italicized also applies to the bolded, they aren't necessarily separate)

Developmental impairments include cognitive impairments, and cognitive impairment doesn't always mean a person has developmental impairments. Neurological impairments can also be developmental and/or cognitive, but also can be neither.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but the language used to label and discuss disabilities matters.
How is that not pedantic and hypercritical? The layman knows exactly what the poster was trying to say, and you attacked them as making a huge assumption, when again they didn't, which your post didn't address at all, now it was attacking me for minutiae to what was trying to be conveyed.

Exactly!!! And if you really wanted an incentive could have easily gave 1 and people would have been just as happy…. As much as people are jerks Disney has themselves to blame just as much for what happened.
I agree Disney created the issue. Though I think they simply vastly underestimated how popular the pre-arrival registration would be. That is exactly why they offered the pre-books as incentive to pre-register, and the pre-books weren't supposed to be available to people who booked onsite but eventually was allowed. When it first rolled out there were waits of upwards of 8-10-12 hours, sometimes on multiple days, just to get through for the pre-registration so possibly the prebooks were needed at least initially. Now just 2.5 years later Disney has so many people "trained" to pre-register that the concept of DAS registration on arrival is foreign to a large subset of guests.

Angel Ariel

How is that not pedantic and hypercritical? The layman knows exactly what the poster was trying to say, and you attacked them as making a huge assumption, when again they didn't, which your post didn't address at all, now it was attacking me for minutiae to what was trying to be conveyed.
I honestly don't know how I attacked you? I was just answering your question - there was no intent to attack, nor was there any intent to attack Fido either. I'm truly sorry that's how my comment made you feel.

Club Cooloholic

I honestly don't know how I attacked you? I was just answering your question - there was no intent to attack, nor was there any intent to attack Fido either. I'm truly sorry that's how my comment made you feel.
Sorry, attack probably isn't the right word, but it often seems a correction of something that didn't need correcting, one has no bearing on the point being made.

Chi84

Premium Member
IBS did not meet the requirements in the policy to begin with, so no changes in posted policy would have been needed. Just a change in internal policy or training.
What do you mean when you say IBS didn’t meet the requirements in the policy? What was the earlier definition that it didn’t meet? I’m asking because I honestly don’t know.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
TWO MONTHS AGO something went out on social media about a blind person relating how an ECV was suggested, without the whole story, and with tens of thousands of DAS requests being made since that have not shared similar experience… I feel it disingenuous to continue mentioning. Same goes for the story about the 8yo.

Angel Ariel

It didn’t come across that way to me - the same poster is asking other members (myself included) to be more specific but wants you to be more vague. Can’t win sometimes! Haha
I'm really not interested in being the cause of or in the middle of personal back and forths here. I truly didn't mean it to come across as such, and it's fair for @Club Cooloholic to indicate it did. Please let it drop

Club Cooloholic

I'm really not interested in being the cause of or in the middle of personal back and forths here. I truly didn't mean it to come across as such, and it's fair for @Club Cooloholic to indicate it did. Please let it drop
It's all good. I love you all, this forum is a great outlet, especially in the crazy world we live in. This particular thread is interesting, because it keeps going but nobody really knows the impact right now of any changes. We all saw the system needed some tweaks, and we will all see how it works out in the long run.
For those, like you who really do have a lot at stake to how it goes, I wish you nothing but good things and hope the new process works well to provide your child and family the best experience.

Angel Ariel

It's all good. I love you all, this forum is a great outlet, especially in the crazy world we live in. This particular thread is interesting, because it keeps going but nobody really knows the impact right now of any changes. We all saw the system needed some tweaks, and we will all see how it works out in the long run.
For those, like you who really do have a lot at stake to how it goes, I wish you nothing but good things and hope the new process works well to provide your child and family the best experience.
Thank you :)

Comped

I take those reports with a grain of salt due to all the negativity on social media. Yes there have been a few situations where the CM had a big miss (like the visually-impaired woman told to rent an ECV), but I have not seen a single report where such error wasn't corrected with a second contact to the Accessibility Team.
Did she get DAS in the end? I've only heard of a few cases of visually impaired people getting it.

jennab55

The visually-impaired woman? Yes, I believe she did get DAS after reconnecting with the Accessibility Team from within the park. It was at WDW soon after the changes were implemented.
I worry how it’s going to go when this person reapplies…. She didn’t meet the requirements before so will they deny her then and the process starts all over? Will be interesting to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom