New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Club Cooloholic

I think that as well - why do you need it defined? You can understand the concept correct?
We all understand the concept, but having it defined would give clarity into its feasiblity. The poster that suggested it would, I assume want their condition to be included in this newly defined acceptable group. Given what they have written, that doesn't leave much room for excluding anyone at all.

Chi84

Premium Member
We all understand the concept, but having it defined would give clarity into its feasiblity. The poster that suggested it would, I assume want their condition to be included in this newly defined acceptable group. Given what they have written, that doesn't leave much room for excluding anyone at all.
If someone is proposing a different "set" of people than the one defined by Disney, it's up to that person to say who should be in that set and who would no longer qualify. My opinion is that Disney has done the best it can to define who is eligible, although I have no idea on how they are handling the DAS interviews to ensure that only those people are included.

Wendy Pleakley

So a reasonable accommodation would be give a DAS user 3 free LLs per day?

I don't think many people would consider that an equal accommodation by any means, but it brings up how the changes to Fastpass may be a factor.

Three free fasptasses, booked in advance, was probably enough to:

a) reduce the desire to lie in order to get DAS.
b) meet the needs of people with a more moderate disability.

That system generally allowed one to be guaranteed to bypass one or two significant wait times, and bypass some additional moderate wait times. I imagine that would be sufficient for someone who struggles with wait times but is fine with some waiting in line.

Angel Ariel

As has been posted elsewhere in this thread, there is a real difference between an adult with a disability (who has agency) and a child who has a disability (who does not). This is especially true for those disabilities this new system seems designed for, those with severe developmental/neurological disabilities. Disney should absolutely be giving preference to children over adults.
This makes a huge assumption that those with significant developmental and neurological disorders have that agency and independence as an adult. For many with these diagnoses, the intensity of need stays the same - or increases - as they age.

jennab55

I don't think many people would consider that an equal accommodation by any means, but it brings up how the changes to Fastpass may be a factor.

Three free fasptasses, booked in advance, was probably enough to:

a) reduce the desire to lie in order to get DAS.
b) meet the needs of people with a more moderate disability.

That system generally allowed one to be guaranteed to bypass one or two significant wait times, and bypass some additional moderate wait times. I imagine that would be sufficient for someone who struggles with wait times but is fine with some waiting in line.
Yes but the question then comes down to, why wouldn’t G+ have also worked for those people and the main answer that comes to mind is the cost factor. People didn’t want to have to pay.

jennab55

G+ will work for many / most with disabilities who can’t wait in long lines.

But if it’s an accommodation required by law (up for debate) then Disney can’t charge for it.
How does Disney charge for wheelchairs that people need to access the park?

Disney has other accommodations for waiting in queues, people just don’t like them. At that point it’s deciding whether to pay for G+ or not I suppose.

Angel Ariel

How does Disney charge for wheelchairs that people need to access the park?

Disney has other accommodations for waiting in queues, people just don’t like them. At that point it’s deciding whether to pay for G+ or not I suppose.
It's my understanding that Personal equipment accommodations such as a wheelchair or ECV are covered differently under the ADA, so its not a like comparison to compare that to genie+, which is not a personal equipment accommodation.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney has other accommodations for waiting in queues, people just don’t like them.
There are some questions on how those accommodations should and will work - I don’t think it’s fair to say “people just don’t like them”

There have been some strange reports of CM’s suggesting wheelchairs for the blind, asking families with minor children to separate, etc.

There is also the question on how physically disabled guests can safely exit a line going backwards without potentially injuring themselves or other guests. many lines are pretty narrow and involve slopes, themed flooring, dark lighting etc.

Club Cooloholic

This makes a huge assumption that those with significant developmental and neurological disorders have that agency and independence as an adult. For many with these diagnoses, the intensity of need stays the same - or increases - as they age.
I don't think he made any assumptions, he was very clear to say in his example it was developmentally impaired adults that have agency. I am pretty sure we all know there are adults that need caretakers and would of course be encompassed in the new guidelines.

jennab55

There are some questions on how those accommodations should and will work - I don’t think it’s fair to say “people just don’t like them”

There have been some strange reports of CM’s suggesting wheelchairs for the blind, asking families with minor children to separate, etc.

There is also the question on how physically disabled guests can safely exit a line going backwards without potentially injuring themselves or other guests. many lines are pretty narrow and involve slopes, themed flooring, dark lighting etc.
Yes, there will always be questions but a LOT of people decided right away that these alternative accommodations will not work for them without even trying them first…

As far as some of the comments on fb pages, it’s hard to know if someone was truly told that. Just like one person said the CM said they are ONLY accepting people with “autism” but then other say they haven’t been told that at all or the CM said “autism or like developmental disability needs”. Sometimes I think people hear what helps their cause, not what was actually stated.

I take those reports with a grain of salt due to all the negativity on social media. Yes there have been a few situations where the CM had a big miss (like the visually-impaired woman told to rent an ECV), but I have not seen a single report where such error wasn't corrected with a second contact to the Accessibility Team.

jennab55

I take those reports with a grain of salt due to all the negativity on social media. Yes there have been a few situations where the CM had a big miss (like the visually-impaired woman told to rent an ECV), but I have not seen a single report where such error wasn't corrected with a second contact to the Accessibility Team.
I honestly wonder if that lady was really told that…. It seems others just feed off each others negativity on the fb groups. That and people assume what the CM meant instead of what the CM actually said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom