New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

I worry how it’s going to go when this person reapplies…. She didn’t meet the requirements before so will they deny her then and the process starts all over? Will be interesting to see.
There may be notes as to why the in-park accommodations suggested don’t work for her? Or she has that experience to explain again for her next call. I don’t recall specifics, but I think she was to to rent an ECV or something outrageous for the situation. DAS probably should have been granted initially but an overzealous or poorly trained CM made a mistake denying the request.

jennab55

There may be notes as to why the in-park accommodations suggested don’t work for her? Or she has that experience to explain again for her next call. I don’t recall specifics, but I think she was to to rent an ECV or something outrageous for the situation. DAS probably should have been granted initially but an overzealous or poorly trained CM made a mistake denying the request.
But vision issues don't qualify right? Maybe I’m thinking of another post.

jennab55

Wasn’t that the Facebook post where she said she was told to rent an EVC and leave her 5-year-old alone in line?

If it is, it seems there may be credibility issues.
Thr one I’m thinking of was her grandkid, not her kid and she said she needed it because she couldn’t leave her grandkid alone in line. Maybe it wasn’t the same one. Either way, it’s hard to believe some of the stuff that was written on the fb pages in the beginning.

jennab55

There have been multiple reports of CM’s recommending wheelchairs to blind guests.

I believe it’s possible, yes.
Wheelchairs I could understand. Their companion could push the visually impaired person through the queue if navigating a queue is the issue. I could see recommending a wheelchair to help with that type of situation. Totally different.

Chi84

Premium Member
Thr one I’m thinking of was her grandkid, not her kid and she said she needed it because she couldn’t leave her grandkid alone in line. Maybe it wasn’t the same one. Either way, it’s hard to believe some of the stuff that was written on the fb pages in the beginning.
Like everything posted on the internet, credibility comes into play. The story I read was not something I believed.

Chi84

Premium Member
Wheelchairs I could understand. Their companion could push the visually impaired person through the queue if navigating a queue is the issue. I could see recommending a wheelchair to help with that type of situation. Totally different.
Right. That makes sense.

But vision issues don't qualify right? Maybe I’m thinking of another post.
Generally-speaking that’s correct, especially if the need is to sit close at a show or on a specific side (it used to be a GAC stamp). But individual situations may have challenges in a queue. Not all vision impairment means the individual is completely blind. DAS is based on individual needs and not straight diagnosis.

bwr827

I guess it boils down to how well the accommodations work and how consistently CMs on the phone and at the rides explain and implement them. I've seen plenty of people declaring that the accommodations they've been offered instead of DAS are completely unacceptable, but a lot of that is noise from people who haven't actually gone to the park and tried to use them. Change can be very difficult, and anxiety about change can cause irrational responses and catastrophizing, including perceiving things like being laughed at by CMs that never actually happened. I know that when I compare notes with my wife about situations where I had a disproportionate response, our perceptions of what other people said or did differ greatly. I also know that the CMs were unprepared for the change, that official training was insufficient, and that the procedures can vary so much from ride to ride that the resulting unpredictability can be a huge problem for anyone who depends on structure and consistency. As I've said, I'm doing my best to keep an open mind, and I think that a lot of the struggles will settle out over time through some combination of refinements to the process and CMs getting more experience with process.
I hope I can say this without coming across like a jerk: would you mind using more paragraph breaks?

I (and likely others) have to fight the urge to skip past your wall-of-text posts. And I’m interested in what you have to say.

NotTheOne

There have been multiple reports of CM’s recommending wheelchairs to blind guests.

I believe it’s possible, yes.
And I don't believe any of them. I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who will see an outlandish report of something and then say it happened to them too. Especially when you see how rabid some of these people are about being cut out from DAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom