New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

Is there any data for line times since the new DAS changes came into effect vs before? there’s nearly 500 pages to trawl through on here ha
Reports are that LL lanes are empty and posted wait times are very inflated. People waiting half the time posted or even less. However, it’s also summer and seems not to be as busy anyway. So the real test might be in the fall when crowds pick up.

Fido Chuckwagon

How about we blame people for being awful humans?
Nobody recognizes when they are being an awful person unfortunately. The poster in this thread several months ago who bragged that he got DAS for heat intolerance, but also used it for indoor queue’s because “Disney was too inept to programmatically stop him” certainly had no appreciation that what he was doing was morally questionable.

Club Cooloholic

Well they are changing that part next week right (ability to pre-purchase and pre-book)? I also don’t think the price is too high when you compare it to universal. Isn’t their express pass like $100 per person for a day? If Disney priced it too low then everyone will buy it, so I think they have to be in the middle somewhere or it would be pointless.
Universal has a few of their higher end hotels that provide free express pass for all room occupants check in and check out day. As much as we can argue weather DAS should or shouldn't be for this condition or that, I think of Disney would provide guests of Deluxe 3 LLs a day, Moderates 2 and Value 1, people would feel those Disney rooms costs were more justified and less people would have anxiety about losing DAS.

Ayla

Well they are changing that part next week right (ability to pre-purchase and pre-book)? I also don’t think the price is too high when you compare it to universal. Isn’t their express pass like $100 per person for a day? If Disney priced it too low then everyone will buy it, so I think they have to be in the middle somewhere or it would be pointless.
Universal's line-skipping system is far superior to WDW's in everything other than price.

jennab55

Universal has a few of their higher end hotels that provide free express pass for all room occupants check in and check out day. As much as we can argue weather DAS should or shouldn't be for this condition or that, I think of Disney would provide guests of Deluxe 3 LLs a day, Moderates 2 and Value 1, people would feel those Disney rooms costs were more justified and less people would have anxiety about losing DAS.
Oh I totally wish Disney did something like universal for deluxe resorts, but I also understand they have way more deluxe resorts than universal does. And then of course there’s the DVC crowd and are they “deluxe” for those types of benefits? I was talking the price though, people say G+ is too expensive but I guess I don’t see it that way.

jennab55

Universal's line-skipping system is far superior to WDW's in everything other than price.
I don’t disagree it’s better, but the price is what 3x as much right? That’s why I think G= was priced pretty fairly. As in can’t be too low or everyone will get it and it’s not to the level of Universals express pass so shouldn’t be that high either.

Club Cooloholic

Oh I totally wish Disney did something like universal for deluxe resorts, but I also understand they have way more deluxe resorts than universal does. And then of course there’s the DVC crowd and are they “deluxe” for those types of benefits? I was talking the price though, people say G+ is too expensive but I guess I don’t see it that way.
Yeah maybe 3 is extreme, but there is not much value in paying rack rate for a Disney hotel, and I think that's where people start trying to figure how to game systems, they want to make up that value somewhere .
Honestly if they brought back Disney Express, with the off site luggage check in, that was such a huge advantage Disney had over other resorts, I would be a lot happier.

Splash4eva

They basically do. Plaid service. My buddy just went to Uni for a day & i think he paid 250 a person for his family 8 for them… i know Disney charges per hour & price and time varies for each park but if you want to compare thats the comparison

jennab55

Yeah maybe 3 is extreme, but there is not much value in paying rack rate for a Disney hotel, and I think that's where people start trying to figure how to game systems, they want to make up that value somewhere .
Honestly if they brought back Disney Express, with the off site luggage check in, that was such a huge advantage Disney had over other resorts, I would be a lot happier.
Oh same! I think magical express and being able to send my park purchases to my room are the benefits I miss the most and wish they’d bring back.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can only speculate what the results of any of this would have been, but I think it could have been similar to what they've ended up with but less severe. Limiting the number of party members that can accompany the DAS holder helps address both the "VIP Tour Guides" situation and the groups who would rather lie to get DAS than pay the cost of Genie+ for their party of 8. The 10-minute rule helps limit a loophole for legitimate DAS users. Where I'd differ is tightening up eligibility less drastically. There was certainly a fair amount of scope creep over the years in the set of disabilities being granted DAS, and cast members being too reluctant to deny requests, but I think that could have been addressed by cutting out a smaller set of use cases and better training cast members. Especially if Genie+ had been designed better to begin with as well - the price was set too high, it should have been purchasable in advance, it should have allowed the same pre-booking capabilities as FastPass+, etc.
Who would be in the smaller set of use cases? If you have a set, you have to define it.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Disney hasn’t defined it, why should we have to?
That comment was in response to:
There was certainly a fair amount of scope creep over the years in the set of disabilities being granted DAS, and cast members being too reluctant to deny requests, but I think that could have been addressed by cutting out a smaller set of use cases and better training cast members.
What smaller set being cut would work?

I’m not sure how you missed the quote inside that comment though?

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney hasn’t defined it, why should we have to?
I’m not sure what you mean. Disney has defined it as limited to people with developmental disabilities like autism or similar which makes them unable to stand in a conventional line. This is a specific set of people who qualify.

The poster I questioned said Disney should have included people who do not fall into that set, but fewer people than the ones previously given DAS. So I asked who would be in the set that poster proposed.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not sure what you mean. Disney has defined it as limited to people with developmental disabilities like autism or similar which makes them unable to stand in a conventional line. This is a specific set of people who qualify.
But it’s been reported they seen to be favoring children, and have also granted DAS to guests without developmental disabilities- so it’s not that simple.

Chi84

Premium Member
But it’s been reported they seen to be favoring children, and have also granted DAS to guests without developmental disabilities- so it’s not that simple.
You're confusing policy with anecdotal reports of how it is being applied. Disney's definition of who qualifies is clear. The poster I questioned proposed that more people should be included in that definition, but fewer than those who qualified previously. I was asking that particular poster to clarify what they meant - who should Disney include in that set of people.

TrainsOfDisney

The poster I questioned proposed that more people should be included in that definition, but fewer than those who qualified previously. I was asking that particular poster to clarify what they meant - who should Disney include in that set of people.
I think that as well - why do you need it defined? You can understand the concept correct?

Club Cooloholic

You're confusing policy with anecdotal reports of how it is being applied. Disney's definition of who qualifies is clear. The poster I questioned proposed that more people should be included in that definition, but fewer than those who qualified previously. I was asking that particular poster to clarify what they meant - who should Disney include in that set of people.
Exactly. It's like saying, you heard about someone who got off getting a ticket for not stoping at a stop sign and another person got the ticket. It's not always going to be uniform or even fair. Honestly if it's going to be people screaming about unfairness, it will be a shame when DAS is scrapped all together, because it won't be worth the trouble. I could see it being replaced by a much more limited program, maybe something that will be limited to only so many people applying a day, maybe to the point where CMs have groups they lead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom