New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

Generally-speaking that’s correct, especially if the need is to sit close at a show or on a specific side (it used to be a GAC stamp). But individual situations may have challenges in a queue. Not all vision impairment means the individual is completely blind. DAS is based on individual needs and not straight diagnosis.
Correct, but some thing still don’t seem to qualify even based on individual needs. Let’s use IBS/IBD for example. I haven’t seen anyone approved, have you? While they all have different individual needs that sort of diagnosis is not longer being considered for DAS. Disney changed what qualifies for DAS (for the most part, of course there are a few others that got approved for other things).

I haven’t seen anyone approved, have you?
That’s hard to say. Many who have been granted DAS haven’t posted their diagnosis, though I definitely have seen posts that state “physical disability” or mention something like not autism, not developmental, not cognitive. I don’t know all disabilities that may qualify, but I do think how one describes or explains their needs makes a big difference in DAS determination. And there may be individual circumstances where DAS is granted to one but not another. There are definitely reports of DAS granted for solo visits but not with others.

People are hung up on diagnoses and their own perceptions of how someone with said disability should be impacted. That may be true for 80% or even 95% of the time, but there are no absolutes when it comes to disabilities.

jennab55

That’s hard to say. Many who have been granted DAS haven’t posted their diagnosis, though I definitely have seen posts that state “physical disability” or mention something like not autism, not developmental, not cognitive. I don’t know all disabilities that may qualify, but I do think how one describes or explains their needs makes a big difference in DAS determination. And there may be individual circumstances where DAS is granted to one but not another. There are definitely reports of DAS granted for solo visits but not with others.

People are hung up on diagnoses and their own perceptions of how someone with said disability should be impacted. That may be true for 80% or even 95% of the time, but there are no absolutes when it comes to disabilities.
Yes good point, no absolutes, I agree there!

jennab55

Posted last one before I was done. Haha.

I also wanted to say, I think there are just some reasons that just most likely won’t get approved. Not ALL, but MOST. The ones that come to mind first are bathroom needs and mobility needs. If that is the reason the person was getting DAS before, they will most likely be denied now. I know we can say over and over that no, it’s needs based, but I also think that is giving false hope to people in those groups. Then they are upset when they call and are denied.

DoubleSwitchback

Like everything posted on the internet, credibility comes into play. The story I read was not something I believed.
I wouldn't say I don't believe these, but I think a lot of details often get left out. Might she have also had physical challenges that she discussed with the CM, leading to the ECV recommendation?

It wasn't that long ago that someone on this very thread had people upset that her kids weren't included beyond the 4 person das limit... then it came out that one was an adult. There always seem to be lurking mitigating circumstances for the "crazy" stories

TrainsOfDisney

It wasn't that long ago that someone on this very thread had people upset that her kids weren't included beyond the 4 person das limit... then it came out that one was an adult. There always seem to lurking mitigation circumstances for the "crazy" stories
Like the families who want you to trade seats on the airline so “kids can sit with parents” - and the kids are grown! Haha

I also wanted to say, I think there are just some reasons that just most likely won’t get approved.
I would say MOST guests with ANY given disability should expect to be denied DAS. No diagnosis is a given to receive DAS and most will not be able to show the level of needs for which Disney is now granting DAS. The more people understand that and plan for alternative accommodations, the less stress and disappointment they’ll feel.

It's my understanding if you make resort reservations 30 days out you can apply for a disability accommodation. If you are denied and feel you won't be able to do WDW you have ample time to cancel.
You need a ticket, not necessarily a resort reservation, to do the DAS request. Tickets are usually non-refundable but if fully-unused retain value as a credit towards future tickets. At least one authorized reseller offers a refund minus a restocking fee.

WDW resort reservations as a package (room+tickets) incur penalty if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. Room-only reservations can be canceled up until 7 days prior to arrival without penalty (8 days in 2025).

DoubleSwitchback

I agree - I’m guessing there was another issue as well? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense, no.
It probably also depends which report we're talking about. Was this from the early days of the switch over? Back then there was outrage when anyone who was "truly" disabled was denied. People have gotten a bit more reasonable about discussing/considering the actual need in the intervening months.

eta: To clarify, I'm not saying someone who is blind could never need DAS!

jennab55

I would say MOST guests with ANY given disability should expect to be denied DAS. No diagnosis is a given to receive DAS and most will not be able to show the level of needs for which Disney is now granting DAS. The more people understand that and plan for alternative accommodations, the less stress and disappointment they’ll feel.
Yes! We should all have another plan. I mean just in life I have to have multiple plans in case things don’t go as expected.

seabreezept813

I wouldn't say I don't believe these, but I think a lot of details often get left out. Might she have also had physical challenges that she discussed with the CM, leading to the ECV recommendation?

It wasn't that long ago that someone on this very thread had people upset that her kids weren't included beyond the 4 person das limit... then it came out that one was an adult. There always seem to be lurking mitigating circumstances for the "crazy" stories
Just to clarify I wasn’t upset about not being extended the 5 person allotment and gave more information for those who were. I knew the reason and didn’t push back. So I wouldn’t qualify that as a crazy story.
I will say it doesn’t feel like the Disney way if the party is immediate family, staying in the same hotel room and reservation, and the DAS holder is already missing out on bigger rides with the family (height) so why not let everyone go together on the small stuff. For example, if we do Haunted Mansion, we’re still only using two doom buggies, whereas having to go back and do twice actually takes up more ride capacity.
These CMs do not have an easy job right now so I understand that they are going only by the book and pushback will only make things worse I just think that some common sense has been taken out of the process. I also agree that a lot of the stories might be exaggerated because the whole thing is emotional and for good reasons. Health issues can make people emotional and Disney is one expensive trip. So I think we’re getting anecdotes that maybe aren’t purposefully exaggerated but just kind of naturally are because it deals with sensitive topics.

jennab55

Just to clarify I wasn’t upset about not being extended the 5 person allotment and gave more information for those who were. I knew the reason and didn’t push back. So I wouldn’t qualify that as a crazy story.
I will say it doesn’t feel like the Disney way if the party is immediate family, staying in the same hotel room and reservation, and the DAS holder is already missing out on bigger rides with the family (height) so why not let everyone go together on the small stuff. For example, if we do Haunted Mansion, we’re still only using two doom buggies, whereas having to go back and do twice actually takes up more ride capacity.
These CMs do not have an easy job right now so I understand that they are going only by the book and pushback will only make things worse I just think that some common sense has been taken out of the process. I also agree that a lot of the stories might be exaggerated because the whole thing is emotional and for good reasons. Health issues can make people emotional and Disney is one expensive trip. So I think we’re getting anecdotes that maybe aren’t purposefully exaggerated but just kind of naturally are because it deals with sensitive topics.
I wonder if you brought up these points, you are immediate family, all in the same room, and DAS holder can’t do big rides, if they would give an exception and add the additional adult child? I mean it wouldn’t hurt to ask I suppose. It’s not like you have 3 separate rooms and it’s cousins and aunts/uncles you are trying to include.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom