New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

But in this example Figment didn’t even need DAS until FP went away and G+ was introduced. To me it seems more along the lines of Figment doesn’t want to pay for G+ even though it would work for him.
Didn’t FP+ disappear during the pandemic, a couple of years prior to Genie+ launch? People who visited the parks during that time only had DAS as an option for accommodation… and then after Genie+ launched they were already used to using DAS.

jennab55

Didn’t FP+ disappear during the pandemic, a couple of years prior to Genie+ launch? People who visited the parks during that time only had DAS as an option for accommodation… and then after Genie+ launched they were already used to using DAS.
Sure, some never even used FP if they first visited after jt went away, but I don’t that is the majority.

jennab55

Wait, I thought it was just modifications as to who still gets DAS and a series of other modifications to it
Yes. I think the person meant that anyone who had it prior to the changes. There were people who applied right before the changes took effect who still have DAS under the old rules.

Last edited:

Ayla

Honestly, DAS abuse (by which I mean websites and so-called "tour guides" advising people without disabilities to game the system) has existed since day one, but anecdotally and backed up by Len's data and insider accounts, it got orders of magnitude worse when Genie+ was introduced. I put 100% of the blame on Disney's shoulders for not having foreseen the inevitable and glaringly obvious consequence of switching to a paid system. They could have made smaller changes to DAS simultaneously and ended up with Genie+ having more value to guests and fewer people seeking to cheat their way around it. Instead, they created a huge mess that they then couldn't solve without drastically altering both DAS and Genie+ 2 years later, and they compounded the problem further by providing such uselessly vague guidance to both disabled guests and CMs.
How about we blame people for being awful humans?

Chi84

Premium Member
I put 100% of the blame on Disney's shoulders for not having foreseen the inevitable and glaringly obvious consequence of switching to a paid system. They could have made smaller changes to DAS simultaneously and ended up with Genie+ having more value to guests and fewer people seeking to cheat their way around it.
What smaller changes should Disney have made to DAS to make it less susceptible to abuse/overuse?

jennab55

I know the paperwork my doctor fills out for accommodations at my job have to give suggests on reasonable accommodations and why I need them. They just don't focus on diagnosis.
I feel this would be too easy. I bet I could ask my Dr to fill out a form saying I need an accommodation at Disney (I do have a disability). I think a lot of people could easily get their dr to fill this out. The issue is if Disney gives DAS to everyone who has a legit disability it’s too many people to make it work. So they chose to narrow the scope of who DAS is for and offer alternative accommodations to others.

jennab55

You haven't met my previous employer.
Accommodations for employment are different. I’m saying I could get a doctor to fill out a form stating I need DAS. I think most doctors want to help their patients and will do so if they can. If a patient says it will help their trip I’m guessing a dr would complete it.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
DAS mentioned in Psychology Today

A recent and related example is Disney updating its disability access services (DAS) and changing policies for those who are used to or familiar with specific access programs. As an avid Disney fan and Disney World visitor, I’ve been following many social media posts about this shift. Here’s what I’m seeing:
  • Disney believes too many people were taking advantage of their DAS accommodations and decided to make it harder to be approved for disability access.
  • Since the updates went into effect last month, many parents have taken to special media to complain that their children who have previously received the DAS pass are no longer eligible. These children include those with ADHD, anxiety, autism, and type 1 diabetes.
  • Now, parents must purchase a paid option called Genie Plus (expedited line access) or have the family wait in line and call the child to the ride when it’s their turn. My take: The latter is not the most practical solution for younger children or single parents.
  • Advocates are begging Disney to use the same pass as Universal Studios uses—the IBCCES pass, which requires a person to upload medical documentation to obtain a pass that is valid for a year. Universal does have the final say if the diagnoses require the accommodations.

There is a considerable debate about whether these parks even need to provide accommodations, with people saying if you or your child cannot handle it, don’t go! However, that isn’t the answer. Like school, if some assistance can make it less stressful and help a family enjoy a vacation, why shouldn’t they be accommodated?

I would gladly show my child’s medical documentation to prove her disabilities if that is what will aid her in receiving accommodations and allow us to make enjoyable family memories. I hope Disney considers person-centered accommodations in the future and doesn’t limit themselves to a one-size-fits-all approach.

jennab55

What’s interesting to me is the 2nd bullet. It made me think back, a lot of the denial reports I’ve seen are for adults more so than kids. I’ve been seeing a lot of approval posts recently for kids, especially those who have accommodations at school and can explain them. Of course I have seen some denial posts for kids too (most are not in the neurodivergent category). Anyone else noticing this?

Chi84

Premium Member

It’s possible Disney may adopt this system if they find that the current DAS interviews aren’t sufficient to ensure DAS is going to only those who legitimately qualify for it.

I’m sure they would prefer not to require documentation.

Club Cooloholic

I do think it is a stretch to compare what a school provides for assistance vs a theme park. That's just not really fair or appropriate. It also doesn't address the reasons why too many users would be something Disney is trying to limit in the first place. Nor is there any mention of other options other than paid LL or DAS..like rider switch etc.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

Is there any data for line times since the new DAS changes came into effect vs before? there’s nearly 500 pages to trawl through on here ha
@lentesta posted some data upthread that seemed to support a drastic decrease in lightning lane use which, in turn, would necessarily decrease standby waits versus what they would be without that decrease.

Anecdotally on my trip a few weeks ago the lightning lanes were completely empty with every one a walk-on or near walk-on to the merge point.

Ravenclaw78

What smaller changes should Disney have made to DAS to make it less susceptible to abuse/overuse?
I can only speculate what the results of any of this would have been, but I think it could have been similar to what they've ended up with but less severe. Limiting the number of party members that can accompany the DAS holder helps address both the "VIP Tour Guides" situation and the groups who would rather lie to get DAS than pay the cost of Genie+ for their party of 8. The 10-minute rule helps limit a loophole for legitimate DAS users. Where I'd differ is tightening up eligibility less drastically. There was certainly a fair amount of scope creep over the years in the set of disabilities being granted DAS, and cast members being too reluctant to deny requests, but I think that could have been addressed by cutting out a smaller set of use cases and better training cast members. Especially if Genie+ had been designed better to begin with as well - the price was set too high, it should have been purchasable in advance, it should have allowed the same pre-booking capabilities as FastPass+, etc.

jennab55

Especially if Genie+ had been designed better to begin with as well - the price was set too high, it should have been purchasable in advance, it should have allowed the same pre-booking capabilities as FastPass+, etc.
Well they are changing that part next week right (ability to pre-purchase and pre-book)? I also don’t think the price is too high when you compare it to universal. Isn’t their express pass like $100 per person for a day? If Disney priced it too low then everyone will buy it, so I think they have to be in the middle somewhere or it would be pointless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom