New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

I mean it is part of the reason, we all agree with that correct?

I also wouldn’t say “people lied to get DAS” - the majority were being honest and giving legit disabilities.
True, there was a portion of people who outright lied or exaggerated and there were people who truly do have disabilities but didn’t need it for every queue all the time.

I just don’t think it’s fair to say that someone only needed DAS when they went to a paid system. Why didn’t they NEED it before? If it’s because they got by with only FP, then G+ should have worked for them too no?

Splash4eva

I don’t agree with this for all but Ironman young adults without kids, but even if I did, it should be “the average guest without genie+” since that’s all that Disney is required to give access for.
Again we know the theme game park has changed people unfortunately have to adapt or deal with a lesser experience. Listen it s*cks we need to pay extra for the ultimate experience but lets face it. Thats not changing.

TrainsOfDisney

I just don’t think it’s fair to say that someone only needed DAS when they went to a paid system. Why didn’t they NEED it before? If it’s because they got by with only FP, then G+ should have worked for them too no?
The guests name is Figment, figment has a disability that prohibits them from waiting in long lines. Figment is able to use Fastpass to experience the attractions they enjoy.

When Fastpass goes away, so does Figments ability to enjoy those attractions. So now, Figment stops at guest relations, explains their situation and is given DAS so Figment can continue enjoying attractions.

jennab55

The guests name is Figment, figment has a disability that prohibits them from waiting in long lines. Figment is able to use Fastpass to experience the attractions they enjoy.

When Fastpass goes away, so does Figments ability to enjoy those attractions. So now, Figment stops at guest relations, explains their situation and is given DAS so Figment can continue enjoying attractions.
But if FP worked for Figment, why doesn’t G+? They both had 1hr return time windows?

Chi84

Premium Member

Fastpass+ was replaced with standby (with standby accommodations) for everyone when Disney started selling Genie+.

Chi84

Premium Member
They do. But since Figment has a disability - and was previously granted a DAS pass because of that disability - they think it is unfair to be forced to pay for the same access that was previously free.
I don't have a disability - and I was previously granted FP+ as a Disney guest - and I think it's unfair to be forced to pay for the same access that was previously free.

This isn't about fairness; it's about access. If you try to make it about fairness, nothing makes sense.

jennab55

They do. But since Figment has a disability - and was previously granted a DAS pass because of that disability - they think it is unfair to be forced to pay for the same access that was previously free.
But in this example Figment didn’t even need DAS until FP went away and G+ was introduced. To me it seems more along the lines of Figment doesn’t want to pay for G+ even though it would work for him.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't have a disability - and I was previously granted FP+ as a Disney guest - and I think it's unfair to be forced to pay for the same access that was previously free.

This isn't about fairness; it's about access. If you try to make it about fairness, nothing makes sense.
Well I don’t like that either and think it’s a major mistake of Bob, Jeff, and Josh. All 3 of them should have been willing to fight against it.

But I don’t have a disability - I wait in standby lines now. Not the end of the world. If I had a disability that kept me from waiting in line, I would think it was wrong to charge me for that access.

NotTheOne

But you said Figment didn't need a DAS when FP was in place. So if they were able to see experience the park with FP, why can't they experience it with Genie+ and still not get a DAS?

(Hint: they can - they just don't want to have to pay for it)

Chi84

Premium Member
Well I don’t like that either and think it’s a major mistake of Bob, Jeff, and Josh. All 3 of them should have been willing to fight against it.

But I don’t have a disability - I wait in standby lines now. Not the end of the world. If I had a disability that kept me from waiting in line, I would think it was wrong to charge me for that access.
But does having to pay for something mean that it is not accessible?

Chi84

Premium Member
well you can’t ask people to pay in order to have a wheelchair loaded onto jungle
Cruise can you?
No one is doing that, though. They aren't asking people to pay to leave the line and return.

This is different. Disney is not going to be forced to give away free a system that they are selling to both disabled and non-disabled people. The exception would be for people with disabilities that could not be reasonably accommodated in the standby lines (and they are severely limiting that group).

Those who can be accommodated but do not want to deal with the difficulty or discomfort of standby lines are free to buy the paid system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom