New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

DoubleSwitchback

Unfortunately I've read quite a few reports in places where the recounting of what the CM said sounds flippant (or just rude). It's been enough reports from different people that it's concerning to me. I have empathy for these CMs, as I know this hasn't been an easy process - but just as it's not ok for a guest requesting DAS to go in with an attitude and assumptions about what will or won't happen, neither is it ok for a CM to do so.
What have you seen? The reports I've seen of flippancy/rudeness seem to center more around the applicant's desire for a bit of a therapy session. Lots of "the call didn't even last 5 minutes" or "I told them I had POTS/T1D/etc. and they 'shut down' and refused to do anything for me" and "they didn't let me get my whole story out [when it was clear they aren't eligible]".

One could argue that it'd be good customer service to stay on the phone for 30 minutes to an hour to comfort the person but a) I'm not sure that their disappointment in still being denied wouldn't then lead them to call that being strung along/gaslit/given false hope and b) I wouldn't call it rude, exactly, to find ways to end a call with someone who is clearly ineligible, especially given the monstrous wait times others are facing for their call.

TrainsOfDisney

The reports I've seen of flippancy/rudeness seem to center more around the applicant's desire for a bit of a therapy session.
CM’s should always take the time for guests and be able to answer questions.

In this case, it is legally required that disabled guests are able to ask questions about how their disability will be accommodated and what options they have. If these CM’s can’t answer those questions, they need to transfer them to a qualified CM who can answer questions about disability access.

I expect a CM to take time and let me know what resorts and rooms are available for what price when I call, these CM’s should do the same - take time and answer the guests questions. That’s their job.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
In this case, it is legally required that disabled guests are able to ask questions about how their disability will be accommodated and what options they have.
Not really.. there is nothing mandated about a discussion or access to information. It's simply that the person is to be included within the boundaries the law defines. The whole discussion thing a public accommodation is steered to make is to make sure the right accommodation is made if needed... not to ensure a patron they are ease with the options, etc.

There doesn't have to be a discussion of any kind at all. You have no legal right to that. It can be as cold as 'make request' and 'here are the things you can do'. It makes sense for a business to have a dialog though to make sure they hit the marks necessary and because a happy customer is one less likely to pursue you legally after the fact. But that's just good sense - not because it's legally required.

TrainsOfDisney

Why? Just saying the words “legally required” doesn’t make it so.
Because I believe the ADA requires it. If you believe they don’t that’s fine - one day we will all find out when this goes to court! Haha.

And from a customer service perspective - I would expect them to answer questions and be patient - just like they are patient when I ask questions about what resorts are available.

Chi84

Premium Member
Because I believe the ADA requires it. If you believe they don’t that’s fine - one day we will all find out when this goes to court! Haha.

And from a customer service perspective - I would expect them to answer questions and be patient - just like they are patient when I ask questions about what resorts are available.
Laws aren’t a matter of belief. There’s nothing in the ADA that supports what you’re saying.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't just 'believe' - I read the actual law, federal register, and guidelines. You're the one making the assertion it's in there... so point it out where it is if you want others to 'believe' along with you :)

Here's a hint - no one has to listen to a customer complain about the handicap parking spaces at your business if they don't want to. Nor does anyone have to negotiate anything with you period. The consequence is if the business fails to provide the experience required they open theselves up for lawsuits. Hence it's in THEIR BEST INTEREST to ensure they know the situation, but they aren't legally required to explain themselves to you.

Angel Ariel

I’m surprised by all these accounts. These conversations are recorded, the CMs are accountable for what’s said (the recordings could pop up in a lawsuit) and the CMs have no particular reason to be so upset that they lapse into rudeness. Disney should try to avoid hiring such thin-skinned people. If that’s what’s happening.
Are they actually recorded? I haven't done one with the new use of zoom, and I don't recall being told in the past that the video call was being recorded. I do believe the t&c for the new interviews explicitly states that guests may not record the call - can Disney record if they're telling guests that it's prohibited?

(I truly don't know. I live in a one-party consent state, but that's only been a discussion I've been involved with in the context of parents being able to record IEP meetings without requiring consent from the district to do so - but once we start publicly recording in the meeting we can't prevent the district from also recording, and I believe I would also have to give the district a copy of my recording if they were unable to make their own once I started (assuming they asked for it)).

Chi84

Premium Member
Are they actually recorded? I haven't done one with the new use of zoom, and I don't recall being told in the past that the video call was being recorded. I do believe the t&c for the new interviews explicitly states that guests may not record the call - can Disney record if they're telling guests that it's prohibited?

(I truly don't know. I live in a one-party consent state, but that's only been a discussion I've been involved with in the context of parents being able to record IEP meetings without requiring consent from the district to do so - but once we start publicly recording in the meeting we can't prevent the district from also recording, and I believe I would also have to give the district a copy of my recording if they were unable to make their own once I started (assuming they asked for it)).
I thought I read here that they were, but I think I was wrong. It wouldn’t be right to record calls that could contain sensitive information.

Indy_UK

Im at my 30 day mark for our trip to Disneyland and plan to try getting DAS over the weekend.

Has there been many stories of those with Autistic Children getting refused DAS.

nickys

Premium Member
Im at my 30 day mark for our trip to Disneyland and plan to try getting DAS over the weekend.

Has there been many stories of those with Autistic Children getting refused DAS.
Fingers crossed it goes well.

Maybe write a few things down so you don’t get flustered. Why is waiting in line difficult? What do you do in other situations? How do you cope at the airport, for example?
“Because he has autism” is not going to get him DAS. Explaining his needs should.

nickys

Premium Member
I do believe the t&c for the new interviews explicitly states that guests may not record the call
I’m fairly certain that’s been debunked. This is a copy of the wording, it is possible it was changed once they started the new system.

The Disability Access Service (DAS) is intended to accommodate only Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. This service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction. To maximize the benefits of this service, Guests should plan ahead using available wait time data, ride locations, and attraction access
options to develop a tentative plan for their visit. This service does not provide immediate attraction access.
Terms and Conditions
• Your scheduled return time does not provide immediate access upon your return.
• You may not have more than one active attraction DAS return time at a time.
• Park and attraction hours are subject to change without notice.
• Attractions may close without notice.
• Not valid for admission to any Theme Park, experience, service or facility.
• All Guests must meet boarding requirements.
• The Guest for which DAS is being requested must be present during registration and experience the attraction when redeeming a DAS return time.
• When utilizing this service, it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time.
• Your agreement to these Terms and Conditions is effective for as long as you have this service. • I understand that after an individualized discussion regarding my personal circumstances I may be offered DAS, alternative accommodations, or no accommodation at all. I agree that any lawsuit I may file, or participate in, challenging this decision, the individualized discussion, or the overall process itself, shall be conducted only on an individual basis and not as a plaintiff or class member in a purported class, consolidated
or representative action or proceeding. • The company reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of this service without notice, at which time you will need to accept the updated
Terms and Conditions. • By accepting DAS below, you acknowledge that the recipient of this service has a disability requiring the services of this program and you knowingly
and voluntarily agree to and accept the Terms and Conditions.
• This service is revocable, non-transferable, not for commercial use, void if altered and subject to change without notice. I acknowledge and understand that DAS provides valuable benefits intended solely for Guests (and their party) who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time and that if Disney later determines that any of the statements I made in the process of obtaining DAS services are not true, I will be permanently barred from entering the Walt Disney
World Resort and my previously-purchased annual passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.

KDM31091

I still wonder what people feel the right solution is. With 50,000 visitors a day, how can Disney accommodate every single person who believes they should have DAS, as well as lightning lane users, as well as standby guests, without making it a horrible experience for one or more of those groups? There has to be some give on all sides. I’m okay waiting a little longer because of DAS or paid lightning lane users, but the DAS numbers were unsustainable before the changes.

No matter what, someone will be unhappy. If they’re too lenient it creates problems like before. If they’re too strict people are upset that they didn’t qualify, but it keeps the lines moving for everyone else. They just need to find the proper balance. There also are other accommodates besides just DAS. And ultimately, just like the rest of us, you have the option to buy Genie+. Yes it sucks to have to pay, but that’s true for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom