New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

nickys

Premium Member
First I feel really bad for everyone visiting the MK today, I was shocked to see how long the TC list was (and how much of it is in MK)

View attachment 795194View attachment 795193

That said, it’s amazing this list is so short and is not made up of mostly MK rides, you can tell the bloggers are out in MK, everyone is live casting from the midway instead of riding rides, just like the 50th.

View attachment 795191View attachment 795192
I’m going to guess there’s lightning forecast. All the rides temporarily closed are outdoors.

MagicHappens1971

But outdoor stuff is still open at the Studios.
Not at DAK or Epcot. Interesting that they still are at Studios.
IMG_4915.png
IMG_4916.png

Edit: Slinky is now closed.

drizgirl

Touchdown

Just saw this, I’m baffled she got denied.

-She goes every week
-Brings a large group (self admission)
-Is an adult
-Does not have a cognitive disability

Unfortunately she fits the category where there are a lot of liars and you either set a hard line or let the camel stick his nose in. Disney is not at fault for this, it’s entirely due to the donkey holes that abused the curtosey. This is an example of a person hurt by their carelessness.

ConfettiCupcake

Disney has never said this change was made in an attempt to weed out who has a real disability and who doesn’t. She doesn’t share her needs with us (nor should she if she doesn’t want to), so we have no way of knowing if denying this person DAS was out of line or not. She does seem to accept that she doesn’t fit the qualifications for DAS anymore and that isn’t her focus of the video.

She suggests a purchase option for disabled guests where you pay one time and it provides it for larger time period. Genie+ does add up like crazy if you use it as often as she goes. Her group has obviously been insulated from that reality for quite some time, but that’s a dilemma local APs have faced since inception of Genie. She seems to admit Genie+ is a workable option for her party if they don’t want to use AQR, but finds it to be too expensive. Join the club.

I’m sorry if this comes off as cold and bothers people. They are effectively mainstreaming many people who are outwardly disabled by design not by accident. She brings up the expense of Genie+ on top of her medical expenses, and I sympathize, but Disney is an unrealistic financial stretch for so so SO many people. That is a massive can of worms to open.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

She suggests a purchase option for disabled guests where you pay one time and it provides it for larger time period. Genie+ does add up like crazy if you use it as often as she goes. Her group has obviously been insulated from that reality for quite some time, but that’s a dilemma local APs have faced since inception of Genie.
I know it wasn’t included in all AP’s but my premier passport included fast pass max or whatever the upcharge was for free.

Not sure why genie+ Isn’t included in some of the passes to begin with.

C33Mom

Disney has never said this change was made in an attempt to weed out who has a real disability and who doesn’t. She doesn’t share her needs with us (nor should she if she doesn’t want to), so we have no way of knowing if denying this person DAS was out of line or not. She does seem to accept that she doesn’t fit the qualifications for DAS anymore and that isn’t her focus of the video [snip] She seems to admit Genie+ is a workable option for her party if they don’t want to use AQR, but finds it to be too expensive. Join the club.

I’m sorry if this comes off as cold and bothers people. They are effective mainstreaming many people who are outwardly disabled by design not by accident. She brings up the expense of Genie+ on top of her medical expenses, and I sympathize, but Disney is an unrealistic financial stretch for so so SO many people. That is a massive can of worms to open.
I won’t use TT so I’m relying on reports here for details but the DAS system does not have capacity for everyone who is in any way disabled to attend Disney parks weekly with several of their friends and allow all of them to skip physical lines each time. It was designed for people who cannot handle waits at all and stopped working for many of them as LLs became jammed up with overuse. We can have sympathy for each person who is no longer able to use the superior system they were used to, but AQR is a good solution for people who travel in a group of adults… was she even willing to try it?

flynnibus

Premium Member
She suggests a purchase option for disabled guests where you pay one time and it provides it for larger time period. Genie+ does add up like crazy if you use it as often as she goes.
Yes, but her argument really doesn't hold up. She should get a G+ annual plan based on what? Because she goes alot? So why shouldn't all APs be entitled to that same perk? She doesn't correlate her disability need with a G+ need... just that she goes a lot.

Surferboy567

-She goes every week
-Brings a large group (self admission)
-Is an adult
-Does not have a cognitive disability

Unfortunately she fits the category where there are a lot of liars and you either set a hard line or let the camel stick his nose in. Disney is not at fault for this, it’s entirely due to the donkey holes that abused the curtosey. This is an example of a person hurt by their carelessness.
I totally agree that the system was being abused. Had to be curbed no ways around it.

That being said, there are probably better ways than this. I admit though, I don’t know what those ways are.

Club Cooloholic

I won’t use TT so I’m relying on reports here for details but the DAS system does not have capacity for everyone who is in any way disabled to attend Disney parks weekly with several of their friends and allow all of them to skip physical lines each time. It was designed for people who cannot handle waits at all and stopped working for many of them as LLs became jammed up with overuse. We can have sympathy for each person who is no longer able to use the superior system they were used to, but AQR is a good solution for people who travel in a group of adults… was she even willing to try it?
I would be curious what the rate of being turned down on is for people that ask and have with them just a companion or their family with small kids, vs those that come with a large group with cousins, aunts uncles and friends.

ConfettiCupcake

Yes, but her argument really doesn't hold up. She should get a G+ annual plan based on what? Because she goes alot? So why shouldn't all APs be entitled to that same perk? She doesn't correlate her disability need with a G+ need... just that she goes a lot.

100%. I sympathize with it being an absolute sticker shock moment, but she doesn’t ever address in her video why the AQR accommodation won’t work (and she might just not want to share that kind of info, which is fair), just how expensive Genie+ is and how fast it adds up.

ConfettiCupcake

I know it wasn’t included in all AP’s but my premier passport included fast pass max or whatever the upcharge was for free.

Not sure why genie+ Isn’t included in some of the passes to begin with.

I’d guess the difference is that Maxpass was a paid upgrade to use the free paper system digitally (IIRC), but Genie+ is an entirely paywalled system that they want APs to either pay to use or not eat up capacity.

TrainsOfDisney

My question would also be, are other members of her party allowed to wait with her? Meaning the party can split up, some wait with her, some wait in the line, or is she the only one that has to wait alone?

Cause that gets into unfair treatment - a guest without disabilities can wait with members of the group.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom