New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ConfettiCupcake

My question would also be, are other members of her party allowed to wait with her? Meaning the party can split up, some wait with her, some wait in the line, or is she the only one that has to wait alone?

Cause that gets into unfair treatment - a guest without disabilities can wait with members of the group.

She just says she was provided the option to meet up with her party in line if she had a party with her (which as we know is AQR). But from what we know about AQR so far, that should include at least one member of her party if she lets them know she needs a caregiver and there’s enough adults. She quotes Genie+ as $400 a month for her party with weekly visits, I think. So I’m assuming they’re 4 people, but she never says.

I agree if she was told no and logistically it works with her group, that would be the issue to address.

I also just want to say I don’t think she needs to give details about her party or her disability or anything else to placate people online, just pointing out what we know and don’t know.

ConfettiCupcake

Incorrect. She shouldn’t need a caregiver in order to wait with members of her party the same way a non-disabled guest would be able to enjoy the park.

True I guess I should have worded that better, as I think even if there are not enough adults to leave behind they will have some sort of solution with AQR if the person exiting needs a caregiver.

It’s hard with this TikTok because it doesn’t sound like she actually tried anything after the application, and we all know this is as clear as mud but especially for those who haven’t spoken to any attraction CMs yet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Incorrect. She shouldn’t need a caregiver in order to wait with members of her party the same way a non-disabled guest would be able to enjoy the park.
This isn't a standard Disney is held to. The standard is to provide for a caregiver - not your whole party. This is why handicap seating at a theatre etc comes with 1-2 seats -- not 5-6 per handicap seat.

Disney as a courtesy in the past has allows your party to stay with you up to a limit. But they aren't obligated to accomodate your whole party under some equity ideal.

TrainsOfDisney

The standard is to provide for a caregiver - not your whole party. This is why handicap seating at a theatre etc comes with 1-2 seats -- not 5-6 per handicap seat.
I think you’re mixing up 2 different points. I’m not saying the whole party should be able to wait with her.

In the theatre example, the seat accommodating the handicap seat is not for “a caregiver” it’s for a member of the party to sit with them and enjoy the show with them. And in fact, it’s in the ADA code that the seats must be completely even, on the same level, and not separated in any way so that the handicap audience member can enjoy the show with someone, the same way everyone else can.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you’re mixing up 2 different points. I’m not saying the whole party should be able to wait with her.

In the theatre example, the seat accommodating the handicap seat is not for “a caregiver” it’s for a member of the party to sit with them and enjoy the show with them. And in fact, it’s in the ADA code that the seats must be completely even, on the same level, and not separated in any way so that the handicap audience member can enjoy the show with someone, the same way everyone else can.
No I'm not mixing things up... the reason they have an additional seat is because a high percentage of the disabled don't go out alone because... they have a caregiver/aid (even if not by employment). Not because they believe the disabled shouldn't be split from their party to avoid inequality (your standard). For many disabled they NEED that person.. so it's part of the accommodation.

The point about where the handicap seats are located is about ensuring a equitable performance - not to do with WHO they sit with.

Splash4eva

My question would also be, are other members of her party allowed to wait with her? Meaning the party can split up, some wait with her, some wait in the line, or is she the only one that has to wait alone?

Cause that gets into unfair treatment - a guest without disabilities can wait with members of the group.
As a das user is it fair that im allowed to ride something while in a “vq” for my next ride? Everything is NOT gonna be 100% equal so honestly DAS users need to give a little back as well as a sacrifice if they want the same or similar accommodations

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok, then I think you are wrong from a legal perspective.
Find one accessibility standard where it's written that separate accommodations must include a person's traveling party beyond the ones NEEDED by the individual to function.

Uncle Tony doesn't get a seat just because you're on a family trip...

The desired outcome is your venue is accommodation WITHOUT separating parties by providing an accessible experience PERIOD. But where that is not possible... you provide for the person in need, not anyone associated with them. The reason this can often be confused is... if there is no consequence to allowing the rest of the party along.. there is no reason to exclude them (like, allowing the full party to use the alternate entrance). But when there are facility limitations (like actual seats available... or attraction capacity) you are not obligated to fit them all.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Ok, then I think you are wrong from a legal perspective.
One big case involving wheelchair user in movie theatre was Robin Fortyune. The argument and ruling consistently includes that his wife was caregiver. The case was about removing guests from the seat next to wheelchair so the wife could sit. It’s seems to be a very important part of that ruling but I cannot find the supporting ADA language.

TrainsOfDisney

The case was about removing guests from the seat next to wheelchair so the wife could sit. It’s seems to be a very important part of that ruling but I cannot find the supporting ADA language.
In a case like that, you are obviously going to argue an extra point to ensure a win.

My understanding, from reading the ADA language, is that each handicap seat in a venue must have a seat next to it for a “companion” - which makes logical sense. It would be unfair to make a disabled guest sit alone, and not enjoy the show with a companion, since all other audience members have that ability.

Wendy Pleakley

Disabled guests should give a little back?

The system is never going to be perfect in terms of equal opportunity.

A DAS user who can only handle 4 hours in the park compared to someone without that limitation? Yeah, it's arguably fair if they can do an above average amount of rides during that time by using VQ and standby queues concurrently.

The latter person, who is less limited, could do a lot more than the average guest if they follow the same strategy over an entire day.

When someone talks about "giving a little back", what they often mean, I think, is not using the system to the point where DAS represents a major advantage. Or accepting some limitations.

The reason being, when DAS is an "advantage" it attracts cheaters and can impact wait times for all guests. This is a contributing factor to the changes being made.

TrainsOfDisney

One big case involving wheelchair user in movie theatre was Robin Fortyune.
From that case (and thank you for pointing it out to me!) -

“Since there are only four companion seats in the theater, AMC's policy denies Fortyune an opportunity to sit with his companion equal to that enjoyed by ambulatory patrons.”

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
From that case (and thank you for pointing it out to me!) -

“Since there are only four companion seats in the theater, AMC's policy denies Fortyune an opportunity to sit with his companion equal to that enjoyed by ambulatory patrons.”

You’re welcome. It seemed to be helpful. Better would be what part(s) of the ADA was used in the reasoning.

It’s still not 100% clear because it’s repeatedly pointed out that his companion was his caregiver, which gave the impression that mattered.

natatomic

But outdoor stuff is still open at the Studios.
I don’t know if you know this, but it can storm in one location and not in others miles away. 😉

But seriously though, they close attractions by park. Lightning within a 6 mile radius of each park, for most attractions. Some exceptions that come to mind are the resort pools and water parks (10 miles) and the blizzard beach chair lift (I was told 20 miles, but I don’t know how true that is).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom