New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

Does genie cost money yes but much more in comparison?!? I would disagree. It was less than 10% of what my Disney portion cost me. To me thats not bad at all especially for what i was able to get out of it
It depends on how may folks you are paying for obviously. Its significant for a family.

I agree, single folks or couples do not feel it as much, but when you have a family group, it adds up.

Disstevefan1

Year of a Million Dreams we got lanyards for a lot of FPs seeing we had GAC we passed ours on to another family.
Yes I remember fondly the year of a Million dreams. They gave out all sorts of stuff. I am looking at the free pins we got as I write this.

Oh, boy, good memories.

Its just not the same today.

Who knows, if attendance plummets as a result of EPIC, maybe they will do a super promotion like the year of a Million dreams with a bunch of giveaways.

Disstevefan1

I had 3 this year but again to me the cost is worth what you get out of it and this coming from someone who has DAS.
G+ combined with DAS does provide a superior experience! Well done.

I maintain, folks with limitations, especially if they no longer qualify for DAS really have no choice but to purchase G+ and ILL, so its not exactly an enhancement, its literally making it possible to function in the park you already paid to get into.

A party of three is is not too bad cost wise, but if all of a sudden Disney announced a 10 percent surcharge added to your vacation for no actual gain (like the folks who no longer qualify for DAS who must get G+ and ILL just to be able to function) this would not be seen as a value.

Just my opinion.

FYI - I do not qualify for DAS but I can no longer physically tolerate waiting in 60, 70, 80 minute queues (I could maybe do a 45 minute queue, not really sure) but now since the standby waits are totally out of control, folks now saying 60 minute standbys are a "slow" day, I have no choice but to cave in and purchase G+ and ILL.

Dranth

I maintain, folks with limitations, especially if they no longer qualify for DAS really have no choice but to purchase G+ and ILL, so its not exactly an enhancement, its literally making it possible to function in the park you already paid to get into.
It may well help and be worth it from some but most should not need G+. They still don't have to wait in the full line, they still can go out and sit, use the restroom, eat, take meds, etc. some of their party just has to remain in line. Solo travelers and couples or single adults with minors will have other accommodations based on situation/need/party makeup.

So, if DAS allowed someone who couldn't wait in the line for whatever reason to not wait and with the new system, they can still not wait then why do they now have to get G+?

Disstevefan1

It may well help and be worth it from some but most should not need G+. They still don't have to wait in the full line, they still can go out and sit, use the restroom, eat, take meds, etc. some of their party just has to remain in line. Solo travelers and couples or single adults with minors will have other accommodations based on situation/need/party makeup.

So, if DAS allowed someone who couldn't wait in the line for whatever reason to not wait and with the new system, they can still not wait then why do they now have to get G+?
I may not understand how it works now.

Are you saying having no G+, no DAS, a family member can wait in standby and family members can join at load area? If so, only one family member can join at load area? Can one wait in stand by and two can join at load area?

Touchdown

Well, quietest Tuesday I’ve seen this whole time, will be interesting if this keeps up the whole week. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t need to take 2 screenshots on a Tues:

IMG_5582.jpeg

TrojanUSC

I may not understand how it works now.

Are you saying having no G+, no DAS, a family member can wait in standby and family members can join at load area? If so, only one family member can join at load area? Can one wait in stand by and two can join at load area?

Disney is offering a few official options which are available to everyone:

1) Rider Swap: This allows either a child who is unable to ride or a person with a disability to wait outside the attraction while the rest of the party rides, usually with one caregiver. After the rest of the family exits the attraction, the two people who waited can enter using the LL. If only one person waited, this person can usually bring a second person with them to ride again, so they don't have to ride alone.

2) Return to Line: This requires the person with a disability to wait in some part of the line. If, for whatever reason, they are feeling unwell or need to go care for their disability, they are able to leave the queue (usually with one caregiver if necessary) then speak with the greeter at the attraction entrance. This person will arrange for them to enter via the Lightning Lane once their family gets to the attraction merge point. For those traveling alone or with just a minor child, the attraction host will typically issue them a return time equal to the amount of the current standby wait.

Splash4eva

A party of three is is not too bad cost wise, but if all of a sudden Disney announced a 10 percent surcharge added to your vacation for no actual gain (like the folks who no longer qualify for DAS who must get G+ and ILL just to be able to function) this would not be seen as a value.

Just my opinion.

FYI - I do not qualify for DAS but I can no longer physically tolerate waiting in 60, 70, 80 minute queues (I could maybe do a 45 minute queue, not really sure) but now since the standby waits are totally out of control, folks now saying 60 minute standbys are a "slow" day, I have no choice but to cave in and purchase G+ and ILL.
I understand all of that but i think we all can agree Disney lost any and all value a long time ago. I can argue anyone with any knowledge can actually get plenty of “value” from Genie+. I was basically able to do almost everything via Genie+ last week. As much as i hate to admit that lol

Disstevefan1

I understand all of that but i think we all can agree Disney lost any and all value a long time ago. I can argue anyone with any knowledge can actually get plenty of “value” from Genie+. I was basically able to do almost everything via Genie+ last week. As much as i hate to admit that lol
G+ works just like the previous FastPass+ worked.

Only difference is today, you want to skip the wait, you must pay.

Yes, the value (of anything) is subjective.

Mostly everything in WDW is not "worth" the prices we pay.

It is what it is.

TrojanUSC

Just my opinion.

Nothing about this is accurate. If you can't wait 60, 70, or 80 minutes you have the option to get in the queue, wait 15-20 to minutes and if you're not feeling well, you can leave the queue, speak to the attraction host and they'll arrange for you to either meet up with the rest of your party before boarding or, if you're traveling solo (or just with one caregiver), give you a return time equal to the amount of the current standby wait.

If you're traveling with a larger party and know you won't be able to wait at all, you can ask for a rider swap where the rest of your group waits in the SB queue and you, along with a caregiver if necessary, enjoy the park. After the exit, you can ride (with a plus one) via the LL.

Disstevefan1

Nothing about this is accurate. If you can't wait 60, 70, or 80 minutes you have the option to get in the queue, wait 15-20 to minutes and if you're not feeling well, you can leave the queue, speak to the attraction host and they'll arrange for you to either meet up with the rest of your party before boarding or, if you're traveling solo (or just with one caregiver), give you a return time equal to the amount of the current standby wait.

If you're traveling with a larger party and know you won't be able to wait at all, you can ask for a rider swap where the rest of your group waits in the SB queue and you, along with a caregiver if necessary, enjoy the park. After the exit, you can ride (with a plus one) via the LL.
Thanks for the clarification!
Is it 15 or 20 min before I can leave?
Can it be less than 15 min?
Can you do this for each and every attraction?
Have you used this method?
Does it work well?

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Thanks for the clarification!
Is it 15 or 20 min before I can leave?
Can it be less than 15 min?
Can you do this for each and every attraction?
Have you used this method?
Does it work well?

Yes, these services are available at every attraction.

There is no fixed time you must wait, I would just be careful to not make it appear as you've just walked in and immediately walked out.

My suggestion would be... speak to the attraction CM at the entrance before getting in line. Explain that you may have to leave the queue due to a medical issue and what would be the best process for doing so. They can direct you from there.

This process is relatively new so they are ironing out kinks but it seems like the CMs on the ground are eager to help.

Angel Ariel

FP+ was great.

We actually liked the paper Fastpasses the best! We would walk to the end of the standby line and make magic for folks by giving them Fastpasses.

Ah, the good old days...
fp+ with the preplanning was terrible. It didn't work the same way DAS prebooks rarely worked for us. It's just too difficult to predict where in the park we will be at a given time, and we cannot criss cross as so many do.

But it looks like the speculation on adding prebooking to genie+ - now called lightning lane multi pass - was accurate. So I continue to feel that the DAS changes were more about selling more genie+ than anything else.

Club Cooloholic

fp+ with the preplanning was terrible. It didn't work the same was DAS prebooks rarely worked for us. It's just too difficult to predict where in the park we will be at a given time, and we cannot criss cross as so many do.

But it looks like the speculation on adding prebooking to genie+ - now called lightning lane multi pass - was accurate. So I continue to feel that the DAS changes were more about selling more genie+ than anything else.
Most families are not doing too much criss crossing, especially at MK, things are just too spread out, add in crowds and heat, kids will balk.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Rejected by a Disney CM who has no medical experience, yes approved for IBCCES (and renewed) who is run by medical doctors and requires evidence for approval.

I think you mean.. IBCCES - an entity that self declares their expertise and charges people to be taught or 'certified' by them. It's a commercial venture setup to sell training and self-declared certifications... not a medical entity.

You got to experience their 'we charge people to let us be their paper shuffler and shield' product. Good for you and UNI :)

TrojanUSC

I think you mean.. IBCCES - an entity that self declares their expertise and charges people to be taught or 'certified' by them. It's a commercial venture setup to sell training and self-declared certifications... not a medical entity.

You got to experience their 'we charge people to let us be their paper shuffler and shield' product. Good for you and UNI :)

On top of that, it doesn't even mean you're guaranteed to get anything. It's just adding a deterrent step for people to get through before they can talk to the Universal people re: accommodations. People get IBCCES for all kinds of disabilities - deafness, mobility issues, vision issues - many of which wouldn't entitle them line accommodation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom