New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

flynnibus

Premium Member
From the way you're describing it, guests just go up to CM at entrance and say we just got out of line, give us a return time please.

You still have to enter the queue before you do any other this. I can't see many making the effort to go back through the queue and talk to the CM.

You've never seen a queue that extends beyond the attraction entrance or the greeter station? You really think the CM holding the sign at the end of the line can tell who actually got out of line or is just walking up to them?

You missed that part of the field report where someone talked to a CM who had no way of knowing or not if they had actually been in the line before telling them they had been because a returner doesn't come out of the line.. they approach the CM from the general walkways.

You're not really thinking these implementation details through.

NotTheOne

Keeping DAS as is with a few modifications would be ideal in my book. Examples -

1- return time. Allowing the parks to plan the LL capacity better and estimate standby wait.

2- reduce the party size (which did happen)

3- dedicated DAS CM’s who evaluate and approve DAS guests.
They've done two of the three in the new system.

TrainsOfDisney

They've done two of the three in the new system.
*dedicated DAS CM’s who evaluate and approve DAS guests.

Well not exactly -
These should be available at the park to speak directly to park guests (which is the case in California) and ideally would not have involved a 3rd party - the entire experience should be kept in house and handled by Disney CM’s

natatomic

This sounds horrible. I can only give my personal experience but anything over 20 minutes, I will have to leave the line. It is not a question of if or maybe, I KNOW that is what my body will do. So I will have to go through the farce of getting in the line, having to be annoying to others trying to make my way back out again, only to leave and be given a return time anyway. How does that make sense?
You don’t have to enter the SB line from what I can tell. You approach the CM, briefly explain that you can’t wait, and your family will enter the SB queue and you’ll be able to find a place more suitable to wait per your needs, and then you’ll be given access to the LL once your family is near the merge point. Or if you’re solo, you’ll be given a return time to then access the LL.

At least that’s how I understand it. They’re accommodating people who cannot enter standby as well as people who can (or sometimes can), but then have to duck out due to an emergency. Nothing says you are required to give it your best shot at waiting and see what happens.

helenasue

Agreed. This would actually be a very easy and legally defendable accommodation. Under the ADA reasonable accommodations are meant to allow someone to perform a task/experience something in as close to the circumstances as someone without a need for an accommodation does. It is not meant to make things better/easier than the standard experience.
This solution would actually work perfectly for my family and we'd be happy to have it. That's kind of pretty much what we do now - we select DAS and then shell out for a restaurant to have somewhere cool and calm to sit while we wait. I'd much rather have somewhere free nearby to do that.

Splash4eva

There would only be one or two people though.
Yes i get that and imo most AP locals do not go with large parties. Say a couple wants to go. They can easily claim they are “solo” travelers and CM are none the wiser. Also in theory a case like mine where. Travel with my minor child. Im Sure i am not alone it would serve basically as almost the same as DAS per say…

Splash4eva

Well I assume Disney is going to expect people to get in line. Are you saying someone would just go to every ride and say they can’t stand in line at all?
What im saying is. If someone is willing to try and wait on a line who prior to changes did not have to and say they experience a medical condition and they now have to start the clock over again why would they risk that happening again. So yes if that happened to me. Next line i get into im simply not taking the chance again and requesting a return time. And you really cant blame anyone who does that
They would have to wait as giving a return time at the entrance is not something that will happen very often.
Well if thats the case then Disney is not accommodating people in need. Again strictly talking about solo travelers and single parents like myself who travel with minor children.

Splash4eva

I heard they ask you how far you got in line to figure out what to do. I suppose people could lie but that’s always a possibility.
Even with this. Is they ask “where” you were in line they can i guess estimate but if they ask how long you been in line its a total crap shoot. You could have enterd a 45 minute queue that turned into a 90 minute queue after waiting 20 minutes…

Splash4eva

How does a CM know a guest is solo or part of a group? If a husband and wife both walk up to the CM separately and say they are solo travelers... how would the CM know today?

Why wouldn't teens just tell a CM they are by themselves and their parents aren't riding?

You're kinda putting your head in the sand if you think 'just talking to a CM' is gonna keep things to being used as intended.

This is why I've said before Disney needs to rely on more than just speaking up.. they need tokens and tracking.. but these things take time and infrastructure to implement properly.
Exactly. I have a friend of mine they go multiple families and they let the teens go as they please. Who is to stop all of them different last names from going to a CM hey i cant wait in line and get a return time go about their business and come back and ride what they want. If this is the case all they are doing is going back to the old version of DAS where you had to go to each ride in person to grab a return time vs them going via the app… and now everyone in theory can use this new “system”

Chi84

Premium Member
Even with this. Is they ask “where” you were in line they can i guess estimate but if they ask how long you been in line its a total crap shoot. You could have enterd a 45 minute queue that turned into a 90 minute queue after waiting 20 minutes…
I forgot if you posted what you think Disney should do. They’re not going back to the old DAS any more than they’re going back to free fast passes.

Maybe people will be willing to work with Disney. If not, they’ll come up with something else.

Splash4eva

I forgot if you posted what you think Disney should do. They’re not going back to the old DAS any more than they’re going back to free fast passes.

Maybe people will be willing to work with Disney. If not, they’ll come up with something else.
I have many some suggestions as to what Disney should do and as a DAS user imo all would still
Be more than fair. Im one who has stated plenty of times that DAS users need to stop hiding behind law suits and claims of this that and the other thing. Realistically we are getting everything under the sun. So if you need to give some back so be it because now guess what Disney imploded the system and by many reports most are getting denied.

My buddy who is going next week has a som with Autism spectrum definitely could use DAS still was denied… DVC/AP holder so he plans on using the extra hours & buy Genie+ but when you are a family of 5 and then add in immediate family going he is 8 people. It adds up no matter how well off you are.

jaklgreen

You don’t have to enter the SB line from what I can tell. You approach the CM, briefly explain that you can’t wait, and your family will enter the SB queue and you’ll be able to find a place more suitable to wait per your needs, and then you’ll be given access to the LL once your family is near the merge point. Or if you’re solo, you’ll be given a return time to then access the LL.

At least that’s how I understand it. They’re accommodating people who cannot enter standby as well as people who can (or sometimes can), but then have to duck out due to an emergency. Nothing says you are required to give it your best shot at waiting and see what happens.
There have been so many conflicting reports that it is hard to know what to believe. This is why so many are saying that Disney really should post what the procedure is. How can someone decide if they want to deal with this if they don't know how things are being handled? I have already decided not to go this year, which is huge for me considering that I have not missed a year, except for when it was shut down, in over 20 years.

ditzee

I have many some suggestions as to what Disney should do and as a DAS user imo all would still
Be more than fair. Im one who has stated plenty of times that DAS users need to stop hiding behind law suits and claims of this that and the other thing. Realistically we are getting everything under the sun. So if you need to give some back so be it because now guess what Disney imploded the system and by many reports most are getting denied.

My buddy who is going next week has a som with Autism spectrum definitely could use DAS still was denied… DVC/AP holder so he plans on using the extra hours & buy Genie+ but when you are a family of 5 and then add in immediate family going he is 8 people. It adds up no matter how well off you are.
Disney+ multi park option ($27) cost us about $108/day on the days we bought it during our May trip. That was for a group of 4 people.

Not sure where you found those dots to connect...

But if you don't think watching a ton more people walking back through the line is going to make people start asking questions about what is going on.. feel free to be shocked later when there are simple google responses enlightening people to how they can skip the line by doing this one simple thing...

Until you hear people faking their way into a return line without ever being in the line to start with... but hey, let's pretend no one ever tries to cheat at Disney world!
I hear you that some will cheat this new system. I don't doubt it. But the biggest issue with DAS as it existed wasn't outright cheaters and liars. It was overuse by people with legitimate disabilities for whom skipping the line was not always necessary, often with groups and on headliner attractions.

I think this system will cut down on that because people ask each time, face-to-face. And many guests aren't interested in blatant lying to get a perk. That's what this system may require to see a strain on it, and I don't know that we'll get there.

NotTheOne

*dedicated DAS CM’s who evaluate and approve DAS guests.

Well not exactly -
These should be available at the park to speak directly to park guests (which is the case in California) and ideally would not have involved a 3rd party - the entire experience should be kept in house and handled by Disney CM’s
Again, we'll agree to disagree - having Disney keeping it completely "in house" is what led to it becoming such a mess. And taking away the ability for people to bully CMs in person (at least in Florida) is a big plus; that alone will most likely cut down on the number of DAS being issued.

Chip Chipperson

Here is a thought, what stops someone from doing rider swab and then the person who waits in line just turns around and requests Attraction Queue Re-Entry and says they are a single rider?
With Rider Swap, the person waiting and their 2nd rider have their band/card scanned to grant LL access - so the same CM scanning them would be the one they would then turn around and lie to. It would be a stupid risk since Disney has stated that liars caught abusing the systems can be trespassed.

Jrb1979

How does a CM know a guest is solo or part of a group? If a husband and wife both walk up to the CM separately and say they are solo travelers... how would the CM know today?

Why wouldn't teens just tell a CM they are by themselves and their parents aren't riding?

You're kinda putting your head in the sand if you think 'just talking to a CM' is gonna keep things to being used as intended.

This is why I've said before Disney needs to rely on more than just speaking up.. they need tokens and tracking.. but these things take time and infrastructure to implement properly.
Then all those people get a return time. From reports I've heard the return time will be equal to standby.

The can't track how long you've been in standby so no matter how long you have waited you will have a return time equal to standby. That's from all the reports I've heard.

Of course there will be people like your example above but I don't think it will happen often. You would hear reports of it happening a lot more already and it's not.

Splash4eva

Then all those people get a return time. From reports I've heard the return time will be equal to standby.

The can't track how long you've been in standby so no matter how long you have waited you will have a return time equal to standby. That's from all the reports I've heard.

Of course there will be people like your example above but I don't think it will happen often. You would hear reports of it happening a lot more already and it's not.
Can you imagine the feeling a guest would have after say waiting 45 minutes and being told they need to wait all over again. Too bad sorry. Have a magical day sir!!! Welcome to the happiest place on earth!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom