New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Jrb1979

but this is the problem that was called out from the start... the system is ripe for abuse because the CMs really have no way of knowing.. and the less formal Disney makes it, the easier it will be to abuse.

Look at those examples cited before... the CMs basically just gave a free LL entrance because they had no way to verify any information nor give them something more granular... so the CM just gave them a free return. From a guest recovery persective.. it's the right thing to do.

The problem is two fold... 1) Now those customers will keep expecting that kind of response as their normal accomodation.. instead of just recognizing it as a bail out move and 2) People will recognize the bail out situations and start to abuse it.

With no way to know who really is in line, or how long, or anything... CMs are stuck with just 'what they are told' and if they give away too much, they create woes... if they don't give away enough, the guests will freak out. It's doomed.
Thats how the system works. The leaving party goes back into the LL queue. From what I've heard solo would get a return time equal to the standby length. So they wouldn't automatically go right into LL.

I can't see it being abused that much. The amount of work to make your way back through the line than talk to a CM and get a return time is a lot of work for little return

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thats how the system works. The leaving party goes back into the LL queue. From what I've heard solo would get a return time equal to the standby length. So they wouldn't automatically go right into LL.
But the two field reports cited above DID go right to the LL.

I can't see it being abused that much. The amount of work to make your way back through the line than talk to a CM and get a return time is a lot of work for little return

Avoiding a 1-2 hr wait is 'little return'?
There are still all kinds of hacks available here...
- CMs are rotating positions.. just wait till a CM changes spots.. and then walk up and tell them you are returning to line (again, if Disney didn't give them some method to track this.. how do they know you didn't?)
- Who says you gotta wait deep in the line?

This is why a true honor system will be gamed to death... Disney needs to better assign some sort of token, and be far less generous with skipping waits if they want to discourage it from being abused.

Chi84

Premium Member

- CMs are rotating positions.. just wait till a CM changes spots.. and then walk up and tell them you are returning to line (again, if Disney didn't give them some method to track this.. how do they know you didn't?)

This is why a true honor system will be gamed to death... Disney needs to better assign some sort of token, and be far less generous with skipping waits if they want to discourage it from being abused.
I’m sure Disney has thought of this and is collecting evidence. A system of accommodation that includes skipping lines may not work. At least not under current laws.

Jrb1979

I'm sure if they find its getting abused they will change things. The thing is this accommodation has been available already it's rarely abused.

jaklgreen

This sounds horrible. I can only give my personal experience but anything over 20 minutes, I will have to leave the line. It is not a question of if or maybe, I KNOW that is what my body will do. So I will have to go through the farce of getting in the line, having to be annoying to others trying to make my way back out again, only to leave and be given a return time anyway. How does that make sense?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure if they find its getting abused they will change things. The thing is this accommodation has been available already it's rarely abused.
Because a far easier, IN YOUR POCKET, solution was available before. Why bother with a weaker hack when you have a near perfect one already? "has been available already' is a poor data point because you're just hand waving it off and not looking at the problem in the proper context.

Now the 'perfect' hack is gone... so people will turn to other forms to get the perks back.

"they will change things..." - seems like a pretty poorly thought through system if it starts fallling down within weeks of roll out.

Jrb1979

Because a far easier, IN YOUR POCKET, solution was available before. Why bother with a weaker hack when you have a near perfect one already? "has been available already' is a poor data point because you're just hand waving it off and not looking at the problem in the proper context.

Now the 'perfect' hack is gone... so people will turn to other forms to get the perks back.

"they will change things..." - seems like a pretty poorly thought through system if it starts fallling down within weeks of roll out.
All these hypothetical responses is getting ridiculous.

What did any of you want them to do? Keep DAS as it was and just deal with it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All these hypothetical responses is getting ridiculous.

Dodge.. Dodge.. Dodge.

Can't you just acknowledge that these are issues that need to be addressed and that your 'this isn't how it works' retorts are in fact not reflecting field reports?

That's what keeps happening in this thread... people trying to act authorative about what Disney is doing.. when in fact we see in the real world it's not as pure as some want to make it. The reality of what happens in the field is where the tires meet the road. Why not take in the input of what we see happening instead of trying to correct posters with 'thats not how it works'?

Jrb1979

Dodge.. Dodge.. Dodge.

Can't you just acknowledge that these are issues that need to be addressed and that your 'this isn't how it works' retorts are in fact not reflecting field reports?

That's what keeps happening in this thread... people trying to act authorative about what Disney is doing.. when in fact we see in the real world it's not as pure as some want to make it. The reality of what happens in the field is where the tires meet the road. Why not take in the input of what we see happening instead of trying to correct posters with 'thats not how it works'?
Sure there will be growing pains at the beginning.

At the same time many keep avoiding the question of what would your solution be?

TrainsOfDisney

Keeping DAS as is with a few modifications would be ideal in my book. Examples -

1- return time. Allowing the parks to plan the LL capacity better and estimate standby wait.

2- reduce the party size (which did happen)

3- dedicated DAS CM’s who evaluate and approve DAS guests.

Jrb1979

Feel free to review prior posts.

My take on a solution is not relevant to what I was responding to here.
The reality is people are leaving standby and automatically getting an LL return time. Those reports are from solo guests. Wait til some groups start reporting and I'm sure it will be different.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Those reports are from solo guests. Wait til some groups start reporting and I'm sure it will be different.
How does a CM know a guest is solo or part of a group? If a husband and wife both walk up to the CM separately and say they are solo travelers... how would the CM know today?

Why wouldn't teens just tell a CM they are by themselves and their parents aren't riding?

You're kinda putting your head in the sand if you think 'just talking to a CM' is gonna keep things to being used as intended.

This is why I've said before Disney needs to rely on more than just speaking up.. they need tokens and tracking.. but these things take time and infrastructure to implement properly.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not sure how helpful it is to propose other systems of accommodation. Disney has made its decision and it’s unlikely it will change for quite some time.

It’s probably best to make suggestions for people trying to find their way in the new system and then hope that it works for everyone.

Joel

At least you're finally admitting that the people who are hypothetically going to abuse this new system are the same ones who were actually abusing the old one. So, worse case scenario, Disney has replaced a "perfect hack" that only needed to be requested once per trip (less for APs) and applied to your entire party with a weaker one that has to be requested individually at every attraction by multiple subsets of your party (unless you only have one or maybe two people).

"That's what they call progress, dear."

Jrb1979

How does a CM know a guest is solo or part of a group? If a husband and wife both walk up to the CM separately and say they are solo travelers... how would the CM know today?

Why wouldn't teens just tell a CM they are by themselves and their parents aren't riding?

You're kinda putting your head in the sand if you think 'just talking to a CM' is gonna keep things to being used as intended.

This is why I've said before Disney needs to rely on more than just speaking up.. they need tokens and tracking.. but these things take time and infrastructure to implement properly.
From the way you're describing it, guests just go up to CM at entrance and say we just got out of line, give us a return time please.

You still have to enter the queue before you do any other this. I can't see many making the effort to go back through the queue and talk to the CM.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At least you're finally admitting that the people who are hypothetically going to abuse this new system are the same ones who were actually abusing the old one.
Not sure where you found those dots to connect...

But if you don't think watching a ton more people walking back through the line is going to make people start asking questions about what is going on.. feel free to be shocked later when there are simple google responses enlightening people to how they can skip the line by doing this one simple thing...

So, worse case scenario, Disney has replaced a "perfect hack" that only needed to be requested once per trip (less for APs) and applied to your entire party with a weaker one that has to be requested individually at every attraction by multiple subsets of your party (unless you only have one or maybe two people).

"That's what they call progress, dear."
Until you hear people faking their way into a return line without ever being in the line to start with... but hey, let's pretend no one ever tries to cheat at Disney world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom