New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ConfettiCupcake

I can’t see a (Disney) world in which they ever decide to implement hard limits like have been suggested, which would effectively shut some people out in order to accommodate people who can be helped in a different way but who are in the know enough to secure their spot first.

I also don’t understand how this is a better alternative to what they’re doing now for anybody but those in the know folks who are upset they’re losing their preferred accommodation when they can be accommodated in some other way.

DoubleSwitchback

The regular guest is not guaranteed a chance to ride everything tho… i do get your point but to me another grey area.
The #1 conclusion I've come to over the past two months is that the average DAS power user has no idea what the average/regular guest experience is like. No idea. Someone who recently lost DAS was complaining that they had to leave at 1 pm to rest midday out of the heat, when usually they'd keep going by taking nice AC breaks while waiting for each ride. This was the height of mistreatment and discrimination to them, whereas for the rest of us it's just known as "surviving WDW in June".

Splash4eva

The #1 conclusion I've come to over the past two months is that the average DAS power user has no idea what the average/regular guest experience is like. No idea. Someone who recently lost DAS was complaining that they had to leave at 1 pm to rest midday out of the heat, when usually they'd keep going by taking nice AC breaks while waiting for each ride. This was the height of mistreatment and discrimination to them, whereas for the rest of us it's just known as "surviving WDW in June".
I just got back and ill be honest Genie worked great as ive said a couple times. Yes having DAS obviously gets me on extra rides and kinda eliminates any down times if i dont want them… but im also not naive either. Issue is this. The Non DAS user also most of times dont understand the disability a LEGIT das user has.. so it does work both ways. Again i stress legit and not the ones who lie and cheat and claim things

Vegas Disney Fan

No more confusing than last 10yrs - DAS wasn’t automatically given for disabilities like hearing, vision, mobility, etc.
I was reading the thread from about 10 years ago when GAC changed to DAS and the anxiety, uncertainty, etc then are very similar to the anxiety and uncertainty now, I think (hope) in time we’ll become familiar with the new accommodations and a lot of the confusion will die down.

Vegas Disney Fan

I just got back and I’ll be honest Genie worked great as ive said a couple times. Yes having DAS obviously gets me on extra rides and kinda eliminates any down times if i dont want them… but im also not naive either.
It’s comforting to read reports like this.

Issue is this. The Non DAS user also most of times dont understand the disability a LEGIT das user has.. so it does work both ways. Again i stress legit and not the ones who lie and cheat and claim things
I think this can’t be repeated often enough, I’ve seen so many posts about how DAS allowed 20 rides a day but that’s never been our reality, it allowed us to “manage” 7-10 rides a day on average, without it we only managed 3 rides at DL one day last week.

Hopefully with time we'll get efficient with Genie and the other options and be able to make the new program work for us to where we can get back to having an “average” day also.

Angel Ariel

I think this can’t be repeated often enough, I’ve seen so many posts about how DAS allowed 20 rides a day but that’s never been our reality, it allowed us to “manage” 7-10 rides a day on average, without it we only managed 3 rides at DL one day last week.
20 rides a day? lol, yeah, not our reality at all. Even traveling at a very down time of year we can't do that many in a day with DAS.

Club Cooloholic

I can’t see a (Disney) world in which they ever decide to implement hard limits like have been suggested, which would effectively shut some people out in order to accommodate people who can be helped in a different way but who are in the know enough to secure their spot first.

I also don’t understand how this is a better alternative to what they’re doing now for anybody but those in the know folks who are upset they’re losing their preferred accommodation when they can be accommodated in some other way.
It's not any different than having a hard limit on how many virtual ride passes they give out, or back when there were park reservations, limiting that. There is nothing saying a user can't get into the park and enjoy what they can, but if they want the LL accomodations, they have to plan ahead as there can only be a limited amount, and still allow Disney to provide a better experience for all guests not just those that need accomodations. Does Madison Square garden have a legal obligation to provide as much as accessibile seating as demands it? No there is a limit to the amount they must have, just like a hotel has a limited amount of rooms and parking lot a limited amount of car spaces. If planned out right, I can't see how this would not work.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

It’s comforting to read reports like this.

Hopefully with time we'll get efficient with Genie and the other options and be able to make the new program work for us to where we can get back to having an “average” day also.
I will say this and granted being experienced and a long time visitor and knowledgable with Genie and drop times i was able to do that many rides and more using a combo Pre Books/DAS Genie and “Walk on’s” along with VQ & ILL.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's not any different than having a hard limit on how many virtual ride passes they give out, or back when there were park reservations, limiting that. There is nothing saying a user can't get into the park and enjoy what they can, but if they want the LL accomodations, they have to plan ahead as there can only be a limited amount, and still allow Disney to provide a better experience for all guests not host those that need accomodations. Does Madison Square garden have a legal obligation to provide as much as accessibile seating as demands it? No there is a limit to the amount they must have, just like a hotel has a limited amount of rooms and parking lot a limited amount of car spaces. If planned out right, I can't see how this would not work.
I don't think comparisons between physical accommodations expressly covered by DOJ regulations and line-skip systems are useful. With the former, a business can simply point to the enacted regulations and there is no question of compliance. The optics would be completely different if it were the business rather than the Department of Justice deciding how many accommodations are appropriate.

Purduevian

To me, and no, I'm not a lawyer, the legality of admitting someone to the park but then not affording them a needed accommodation (because some guests truly do need a DAS, couldn't do the parks otherwise) is suspect.
Just to play devils advocate (I don't think they should do this). Do you think they could sell a set number of "DAS entry tickets" a day and only those with "DAS entry tickets" would get to use the system? If they are sold out for the day, everyone is welcome to buy a normal ticket, but no accommodations are made for those on that ticket.

Do accessible rooms at hotels or seats at shows require proof of a disability before they are purchased?

Splash4eva

Just to play devils advocate (I don't think they should do this). Do you think they could sell a set number of "DAS entry tickets" a day and only those with "DAS entry tickets" would get to use the system? If they are sold out for the day, everyone is welcome to buy a normal ticket, but no accommodations are made for those on that ticket.

Do accessible rooms at hotels or seats at shows require proof of a disability before they are purchased?
This is what is dont understand from a legal pov. Why does any company need to provide unlimited DAS when they are not required to provide unlimited handicap spots or accessible hotel rooms…

Chi84

Premium Member

This is a bad idea for some many reasons I can't enumerate them. Let's just say people who don't need accessible seating are not willing to pay more for it than regular seating.

Disstevefan1

Sorry to have missed yesterday, got busy but, today is again sticking to the pattern of long lines on weekdays

View attachment 793463View attachment 793464
ItsAllBroken.jpg

Purduevian

This is a bad idea for some many reasons I can't enumerate them. Let's just say people who don't need accessible seating are not willing to pay more for it than regular seating.
I didn't say they would be sold at a different price. Just a limited number of "DAS entry tickets" that replace your normal entry tickets. Just like a stadium has a limited number of handicap seats.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When rider swap was only for children too short to ride, families could not get rider swap at rides like HM, even if a small child was too scared to ride. CM's also often had to check to make sure the child really was too short.
I can't say we ever had that problem in the 2000s when my kids were small. Even at attractions like Soarin' with very low thresholds of height requirements... or HM. It was never questioned at all - just we spoke to the CM, and some of our party didn't enter... and two people came back on the RS pass to the FP return late.

When my extended family used to use it, we usually had a stroller, and a small child willing to nap in the stroller. We'd also aim to do big rides while the child was napping. but Ww deiced that every child had to be height-checked, so we had to wake them up to request a child swap.
Then maybe this was a later iteration as they tried to curb some behavior.. because it wasn't always like that. RS was a god send and just one of those tips/secrets you learned about and made your trip all that much more enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom