New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

adding a day or 2 at WDW just to enjoy POFQ and Epcot, the 2 things at WDW we know we can still enjoy. Pretty sad when relaxing at the resort sounds more fun than going to 3 of the parks.
I’m in the same boat and DAS has nothing to do with it for me. On my last visit I went with my mom and we stayed at Port Orleans and only visited Epcot for 2 days.

DAK is an enjoyable park as well but on most of my solo trips I can visit Animal Kingdom Lodge instead of the park.

peter11435

Hopefully this gets easier to understand over time, nothing about a WDW trip sounds fun right now, “might” get DAS, “might” get a virtual queue, “might” get return to queue, “might” get skip the line, “might” get an ILL, “might” get a Genie+, “might” get nothing and spend thousands to walk around the parks with nothing we can physically do…

We’ve tentatively planned a Universal trip for next year and are debating adding a day or 2 at WDW just to enjoy POFQ and Epcot, the 2 things at WDW we know we can still enjoy. Pretty sad when relaxing at the resort sounds more fun than going to 3 of the parks.
No reason to think you’d get nothing out of everything you listed. Genie+ and ILL are available to anyone and easy to get. I’ve never not been able to get a virtual queue as long as I’m on at 7am. Return to queue is available to anyone for any reason even if most people don’t seem to understand what that actually is.

Splash4eva

Hopefully this gets easier to understand over time, nothing about a WDW trip sounds fun right now, “might” get DAS, “might” get a virtual queue, “might” get return to queue, “might” get skip the line, “might” get an ILL, “might” get a Genie+, “might” get nothing and spend thousands to walk around the parks with nothing we can physically do…

We’ve tentatively planned a Universal trip for next year and are debating adding a day or 2 at WDW just to enjoy POFQ and Epcot, the 2 things at WDW we know we can still enjoy. Pretty sad when relaxing at the resort sounds more fun than going to 3 of the parks.
I was in GR last night after leaving HS and the amount of people in there complaining about the new DAS setup was staggering and what was even more noticeable was the fact the CMs really couldnt give anyone a straight answer on what to day. 1 woman was in Rise needed to leave and had no clue what to do all she said was during her call she was assured this wouldnt be a problem and here she was …

Touchdown

What makes it quiet? Those look like pretty normal times to me.
4 rides over 60 min as opposed to 7-9 on most Tues-Thur. Longest wait is 70 min as opposed to 90 min. It’s pretty darn quiet. DAS isn’t and extra 5-10 min for the average guests, it’s an extra 15-20 min at every ride costing standby hours over the course of the day. If these weekend wait times become the new normal this will significantly improve the guest experience for most.

TrainsOfDisney

DAS isn’t and extra 5-10 min for the average guests, it’s an extra 15-20 min at every ride costing standby hours over the course of the day.
I don’t believe this is an accurate statement.

I also don’t think any of those numbers are any different than I’m used to seeing in the parks.

maemae74

We just got back and my mom was a previous DAS user. Would not have qualified under the new rules so didn't even try. We just would talk to a cast member at lines longer than 45 minutes. She would wait for us in a cool spot which was recommend by cast member and we would call her when we got close and they let her come through the lightning lane to meet up with us. It worked perfectly for us and no one in the line behind us got angry or upset. We also used the RTQ several times with a small child who needed to potty and again no fights broke out. It was actually a great trip and the lines were not bad at all. Curious if the cut backs on the DAS helped with that.

We also didn't think we were missing out on any family time because we are flexible and appreciate the accommodations they did offer us. It wasn't hard to meet them half way.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Were 7DMT and FoP 55 minutes or less?

We’ve come to expect 7DMT ~90 minutes and FoP off the charts in the 100+ range midday.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We just got back and my mom was a previous DAS user. Would not have qualified under the new rules so didn't even try. We just would talk to a cast member at lines longer than 45 minutes. She would wait for us in a cool spot which was recommend by cast member and we would call her when we got close and they let her come through the lightning lane to meet up with us. It worked perfectly for us and no one in the line behind us got angry or upset. We also used the RTQ several times with a small child who needed to potty and again no fights broke out. It was actually a great trip and the lines were not bad at all. Curious if the cut backs on the DAS helped with that.
That’s great to hear. Time will tell how all this settles down. It is encouraging to read a success story!

Chi84

Premium Member
I was in GR last night after leaving HS and the amount of people in there complaining about the new DAS setup was staggering and what was even more noticeable was the fact the CMs really couldnt give anyone a straight answer on what to day. 1 woman was in Rise needed to leave and had no clue what to do all she said was during her call she was assured this wouldnt be a problem and here she was …
I’m not surprised. Change is hard for everyone, especially at first. I expect things will settle down after an adjustment period.

NotTheOne

My point was, the free Fastpass+ service was mentioned in that case as a service that former GAC users could use.

If this ends up going to court (and I think it will, as this seems to be a much stronger case then the GAC case which did go to court) - the fact that access to that line is a paid service will not be in Disneys favor. Doesn’t mean Disney automatically loses the case - will be an interesting case for sure!
The case then was laughable, and suing over these changes would be even more so.

Suing because you (generic you) don't like an accommodation is a waste of time and money.

NotTheOne

Perhaps that woman should have asked a CM prior to entering the line what she would need to do if she needed to exit. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that some people who don't get what they want (DAS) take no responsibility for trying to make other accommodations work.

TrojanUSC

You can’t charge extra for access though.

Which reminds me, the GAC case specifically mentions the free fast pass+ reservations available to guests.

They aren’t charging extra for access, though. They’re providing access via Return to Queue, rider swap and other accommodations.

If you don’t like this, you have the option to pay for a more enjoyable experience.

NotTheOne

I think they will have to address both sides (their side as a business and the guest side, as consumers). What you are describing encompasses the business side. On the guest side, though - lines will continue to be long, disability rates will continue to rise, and young Americans expect more in terms of a disability friendly environment. Those are a big portion of their consumers, the people paying to be there. I think Disney will need to think about how to make the park experience more user-friendly overall.
They're already addressing both sides - DAS is just one of multiple accommodations offered.

As for what "young Americans" expect, perhaps this would be a good time for them to learn the difference between expectations and actual legal requirements.

TrainsOfDisney

The case then was laughable, and suing over these changes would be even more so.

Suing because you (generic you) don't like an accommodation is a waste of time and money.
It wasn’t laughable - one of the great things about this country is the freedom and right to hire a lawyer when you feel you have been wronged. While our legal system is far from perfect, many ADA rights have been and are being won because of “laughable” cases.

They aren’t charging extra for access, though. They’re providing access via Return to Queue, rider swap and other accommodations.
The post I was responding to was suggesting that Genie+ was available, just not free. Meaning the access was available, but not for free.

DisneyHead123

They're already addressing both sides - DAS is just one of multiple accommodations offered.

As for what "young Americans" expect, perhaps this would be a good time for them to learn the difference between expectations and actual legal requirements.
I’m not talking about legal requirements. I’m talking about capitalism, which involves selling oneself.

Disney is free to say “We don’t have to do more!” Cool. That may or may not play out in court. But the more important point is that consumers can decide where they want to go. I’m saying I think they need to do more to make their park user friendly.

NotTheOne

It wasn’t laughable - one of the great things about this country is the freedom and right to hire a lawyer when you feel you have been wronged. While our legal system is far from perfect, many ADA rights have been and are being won because of “laughable” cases.

The post I was responding to was suggesting that Genie+ was available, just not free. Meaning the access was available, but not for free.
Have you even read the case in question? It was laughable, and the plaintiff was pretty much eviscerated.

I have no issue with people hiring lawyers and suing if they feel they have a case, and I agree that valuable changes have come out of some valid cases. But this case wasn't one of them. I wish Disney had followed through and recovered costs, as the court allowed them to.

NotTheOne

I’m not talking about legal requirements. I’m talking about capitalism, which involves selling oneself.

Disney is free to say “We don’t have to do more!” Cool. That may or may not play out in court. But the more important point is that consumers can decide where they want to go. I’m saying I think they need to do more to make their park user friendly.
We'll see. I'm all for these changes, and I'm glad that Disney finally did something to address the abuse AND the overuse. I just hope they don't get lax like they did with DAS previously, or we'll be right back to the same place in a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom