New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

peter11435

For a company that claims to be inclusive of all their new DAS policy is very non inclusive
"DAS is one of our programs offered at the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability such as autism or a similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."
There are many adult conditions which make waiting in lines difficult or impossible, if you are going to force adults to buy Genie + (supposed accommodation) why are they exempting children with developmental disability such as autism or a similar disorder. Isn't Genie + an accommodation for them was well ---guess it's not good PR

For a company that claims to be inclusive of all their new DAS policy is very non inclusive
"DAS is one of our programs offered at the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability such as autism or a similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."
There are many adult conditions which make waiting in lines difficult or impossible, if you are going to force adults to buy Genie + (supposed accommodation) why are they exempting children with developmental disability such as autism or a similar disorder. Isn't Genie + an accommodation for them was well ---guess it's not good PR
DAS is only one of many accommodations that are offered.

Nobody is granted or denied DAS based on their diagnosed disability.

Angel Ariel

Um...developmental disorders don't go away with age. Children with developmental disorders become adults with developmental disorders.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
DAS is not the only accommodation available at WDW.

When it comes to inclusivity many accommodations are already in place and more being added. Mobility, hearing, site, sensory areas, first aid, family restrooms, storage of medical equipment, and others that already exist outside DAS.

Many tools are in place that require a deposit or planning around certain days.

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

Before these recent changes many issues did not result in DAS being granted. Although cancelling is complicated for most people, it was an option available where WDW costs were concerned. The better option I think more valuable to guests not initially granted DAS was touring the park for a couple hours and then using that precise info about individual hurdles to get personalized guidance from Guest Experience or Guest Services. Often those specific examples lead to DAS being granted, or help understanding how to access other tools available.

That’s what I would recommend for you IF not granted DAS yet still willing to give WDW a try. Some have reported still getting DAS even though they did not fall under the examples/criteria. A small # of other individual situations have been DAS accommodated. The back up plan if not granted is returning for advice/help where issues remain after utilizing the other tools available.

Chi84

Premium Member
You can’t charge extra for access though.

Which reminds me, the GAC case specifically mentions the free fast pass+ reservations available to guests.
They wouldn't be charging extra for access. They would be providing access with in-line accommodations that allow the disabled access to the attraction.

Things have changed now that they are charging for line access. No one is getting free expedited line access except those who qualify for DAS. Everyone else is left with in-line accommodations.

KDM31091

DAS is just one of the several accommodations offered, so even if you do not qualify, you still have many options. With many thousands of visitors daily, it's not realistic to approve everyone who thinks they should qualify. The rides have a finite capacity. You also have everyday guests and Genie+ purchasers. At some point someone has to wait.

There really is no perfect solution. It's a balancing act and there will always be some people in every group (DAS, Genie+, "regular") that are unhappy.

TrainsOfDisney

Things have changed now that they are charging for line access. No one is getting free expedited line access except those who qualify for DAS. Everyone else is left with in-line accommodations.
My point was, the free Fastpass+ service was mentioned in that case as a service that former GAC users could use.

If this ends up going to court (and I think it will, as this seems to be a much stronger case then the GAC case which did go to court) - the fact that access to that line is a paid service will not be in Disneys favor. Doesn’t mean Disney automatically loses the case - will be an interesting case for sure!

DisneyHead123

I think Disney is already doing that by limiting DAS. AQR and rider switch will certainly cut down on the number of people in the LL, as will limiting the number of people on the DAS. If the number of people who meet Disney's new criteria continue to grow at rate that clogs up LLs, look for Disney to cut the DAS party size down to DAS user plus one, and perhaps tighten the criteria even more.
I think they will have to address both sides (their side as a business and the guest side, as consumers). What you are describing encompasses the business side. On the guest side, though - lines will continue to be long, disability rates will continue to rise, and young Americans expect more in terms of a disability friendly environment. Those are a big portion of their consumers, the people paying to be there. I think Disney will need to think about how to make the park experience more user-friendly overall.

KrzyKtty

My point was, the free Fastpass+ service was mentioned in that case as a service that former GAC users could use.

If this ends up going to court (and I think it will, as this seems to be a much stronger case then the GAC case which did go to court) - the fact that access to that line is a paid service will not be in Disneys favor. Doesn’t mean Disney automatically loses the case - will be an interesting case for sure!
I don't think it will necessarily not be in their favor because that is a pretty standard business model. Almost all parks have thay. It could strengthen their stance to argue giving DAS to every disability without evaluating need was putting a detrimental impact to operations. The real test will be seeing if AQR, Rider Switch, and the not officially listed RTQ are good enough to be considered adequate enough.

Chi84

Premium Member

Why do you believe making line access a paid service will not be in Disney's favor? In the GAC case, the court held that in determining whether an accommodation sought by a disabled person is necessary, you look at how the business's facilities are used by non disabled guests (not at how they could be used by non disabled guests) and then consider whether the business has taken reasonable steps to provide disabled guests with a like experience.

Disney had a unique and pretty wonderful product in its parks until current management decided to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs and squeeze every last penny out of its guests until they've had enough and go elsewhere. This is their business model now (of course, they would describe it differently), and they are allowing both disabled and non disabled guests to experience it equally in all its glory. Selling line access is part of its business now and the impact of disability accommodations will be considered in light of that.

I'm sure there will be a lawsuit but I don't expect it to be interesting - more like incredibly sad.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
You can’t charge extra for access though.
This isn’t entirely true. Wheelchairs and ECVs are for rent. The accommodation is the resort being fully accessible with very few exceptions and those fall into the realm of reasonable.

Nobody has successfully litigated that WDW needs to provide mobility devices for all even though visiting the parks might be impossible without them for some people.

Deposits can be required to use or reserve certain tools that are available, like braille maps and audio devices, or need an extra step like reserving Hoop Dee 14 days prior for live ASL interpreter or planning around certain weekdays when live ASL is offered for in-park shows. I don’t think the ADA’s intention is to have businesses provide 100% of what someone needs, rather it looks to ensure reasonable paths to possible.

Not all the beaches around me have wheelchair access, some do. The idea is a wheelchair bound person has options to visit the ocean, where before it was next to impossible. I think most people find it reasonable that it’s not necessarily an inherent human right to visit the beach of our choice; it’s an inherent human right we can experience a beach.

How far is it reasonable to make every public/private beach cover all the details of every issue, and that’s kind of what’s being asked of WDW in some cases. People visiting with babies, pregnancy, elderly regularly adjust touring to their individual needs. Guests arrive with all sorts of encumbrances. I don’t think it’s clear where the expectations on old DAS stopped. It was constantly argued as having zero harm, meant to help issues big and small*, and no limit intended once granted. Does a line exist where too much is too much, within reason?

*small being things unique mostly to WDW that did have other options to manage without DAS, eg mild-moderate sun sensitivity where season, park hours and shielding could compensate well enough to match the self remedy extent dozens of other challenges non-DAS users frequently face

Vegas Disney Fan

DAS is only one of many accommodations that are offered.
Hopefully this gets easier to understand over time, nothing about a WDW trip sounds fun right now, “might” get DAS, “might” get a virtual queue, “might” get return to queue, “might” get skip the line, “might” get an ILL, “might” get a Genie+, “might” get nothing and spend thousands to walk around the parks with nothing we can physically do…

We’ve tentatively planned a Universal trip for next year and are debating adding a day or 2 at WDW just to enjoy POFQ and Epcot, the 2 things at WDW we know we can still enjoy. Pretty sad when relaxing at the resort sounds more fun than going to 3 of the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom