New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

You can probably narrow it down a little. If, worst case scenario, they told you only AQR or rider switch so you would have to wait alone, what would you do? If you would be willing and able to buy Genie+/ILLs and you believe that system would work for you without the extras of DAS, would you buy them? If the answer is yes, then you could still plan the vacation but it would be more expensive.
Exactly.

dreamfinder912

Perhaps that woman should have asked a CM prior to entering the line what she would need to do if she needed to exit. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that some people who don't get what they want (DAS) take no responsibility for trying to make other accommodations work.
You also get a different answer every time you ask, even at the same attraction. It's down to the individual cast member. Someone who hears "you can leave at any time" doesn't have all the information they need. I was told there are cast members in the queue to let people in and out, but no idea on where they are/what to look for. It's very confusing even when you're not in the midst of a medical situation.

Angel Ariel

And perhaps they will at some point, who knows. I'm thinking that Disney isn't going to publish anything that can be used by scammers to ruin the new process the way DAS was ruined, but I could certainly be wrong.
That's why I pointed out AQR is available to everyone at any time. So there is no scamming to be concerned about. There is no reason whatsoever Disney can't make this information available in MDE or in accessibility guidelines.
I am curious, since you've done the research, does the accessibility related to not waiting in line work the same at each attraction or is it different for many/most at the other parks you've looked at?
Related to not waiting in lines, at all the parks we've been to it's been go to guest services share your needs and you get a wrist band or a paper (or something similar) to have for the day. It's not a decision made attraction by attraction.

NotTheOne

That's why I pointed out AQR is available to everyone at any time. So there is no scamming to be concerned about. There is no reason whatsoever Disney can't make this information available in MDE or in accessibility guidelines.

Related to not waiting in lines, at all the parks we've been to it's been go to guest services share your needs and you get a wrist band or a paper (or something similar) to have for the day. It's not a decision made attraction by attraction.
On the first point absolutely correct - I hadn't even considered that it's available to everyone, so yes, no reason Disney couldn't publicize that.

On the second point, you said that you had printed pages and pages of information about accessibility for different parks, so I assumed that included the accommodations for those who can't wait in line. Is that not the case?

Angel Ariel

On the second point, you said that you had printed pages and pages of information about accessibility for different parks, so I assumed that included the accommodations for those who can't wait in line. Is that not the case?
The accessibility guides include what the process to receive those accommodations are, yes - but for each of them, the accommodations for those that struggle with lines are the same for every attraction - akin to the old DAS in-person process (go to guest relations, explain need, receive either wrist band or paper, they tell you how to use it, go on your way) though the rules for how the program worked at each are slightly different.

Beyond that, thinking about one for an example - the attraction by attraction listings list each attraction, summarizing it (also including what type of motion to expect) - then it lists where to go to get alternate access to the ride and any transfer procedures needed, criteria for riders (ability to brace themselves, for ex), and details what the restraints on each ride are. Symbols list the prohibitions for the ride and height requirements. It's significantly more in depth information about attractions than Disney provides themselves in their own accessibility planning and recommendations guide.

With Disney moving to attraction by attraction accommodations, they could learn a bit from other places and provide better information to help disabled people and their parties plan

C33Mom

Perhaps that woman should have asked a CM prior to entering the line what she would need to do if she needed to exit. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that some people who don't get what they want (DAS) take no responsibility for trying to make other accommodations work.
I’m guessing some of those angry people she observed in the GR line are engaging in what psychologists call “extinction behavior” — Disney conditioned guests to believe that if they just acted entitled enough and were difficult enough with GR they would eventually fold and grant DAS. I think a lot of people who can be accommodated in AQR will make one last attempt at complaining/arguing/tantruming/making frivolous legal threats before finally accepting it’s no longer available for most issues (and that GR staff can’t grant it).

I do think it’s very telling that she witnessed it at the end of the day— people who wanted to continue to maximize their time in the park and then complain after as opposed to having a hardship so impossible they had to leave the park when it occurred.

Vegas Disney Fan

You can probably narrow it down a little. If, worst case scenario, they told you only AQR or rider switch so you would have to wait alone, what would you do? If you would be willing and able to buy Genie+/ILLs and you believe that system would work for you without the extras of DAS, would you buy them? If the answer is yes, then you could still plan the vacation but it would be more expensive.
I don’t think we’ll have any choice but to buy Genie/ILL, we’ve only used it once and we were very disappointed though so we have low expectations, we showed up at HS about 10am, after doing a runDisney race, and everything was sold out by about noon. I think we managed 2 rides for our $20 each, not a great first experience.

It’s why I chuckle when everyone says to just use Genie, hard to do when they sell out, even harder when you aren’t sure how long you’ll be able to stay in the park and it assigns you times hours into the future.

I’m sure we’ll figure it out after more people have shared their experiences, none of it makes me eager to book a trip anytime soon though.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t think we’ll have any choice but to buy Genie/ILL, we’ve only used it once and we were very disappointed though so we have low expectations, we showed up at HS about 10am, after doing a runDisney race, and everything was sold out by about noon. I think we managed 2 rides for our $20 each, not a great first experience.

It’s why I chuckle when everyone says to just use Genie, hard to do when they sell out, even harder when you aren’t sure how long you’ll be able to stay in the park and it assigns you times hours into the future.

I’m sure we’ll figure it out after more people have shared their experiences, none of it makes me eager to book a trip anytime soon though.
Who knows what's really in their minds, but limiting DAS usage (both abuse and overuse) was supposed to be done in order to make Genie+ work better. I certainly understand your frustration, having used the system a few times now. It's not great and it's expensive.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m guessing some of those angry people she observed in the GR line are engaging in what psychologists call “extinction behavior” — Disney conditioned guests to believe that if they just acted entitled enough and were difficult enough with GR they would eventually fold and grant DAS. I think a lot of people who can be accommodated in AQR will make one last attempt at complaining/arguing/tantruming/making frivolous legal threats before finally accepting it’s no longer available for most issues (and that GR staff can’t grant it).
According to the OP nobody was angry, entitled, or difficult.
None were nasty none were loud. They i guess are just looking for answers

In my opinion, it’s very upsetting that going to guest relations with a complaint / concern = angry, entitled, difficult etc.

I guess I was angry, entitled, and difficult after the infamous villains night!!! Haha (all I did was share my disappointment with the event and ask if I could at least get a comp to the Halloween party…..)

C33Mom

According to the OP nobody was angry, entitled, or difficult.

In my opinion, it’s very upsetting that going to guest relations with a complaint / concern = angry, entitled, difficult etc.

I guess I was angry, entitled, and difficult after the infamous villains night!!! Haha (all I did was share my disappointment with the event and ask if I could at least get a comp to the Halloween party…..)
Feel free to replace the word angry with dissatisfied or upset if you prefer. Not sure how closely the poster was eavesdropping on the “staggering” number of dissatisfied guests they reported, but “none were nasty” and stating people were just looking for answers doesn’t seem credible unless they hung out there for a long time eavesdropping on all conversations, so I discount their convenient characterization accordingly, based on the actual kinds of abusive behaviors I’ve personally witnessed at GR and the extreme entitlement we’ve seen online since they announced changes were coming.

Her original post stated “the amount of people in there complaining about the new DAS setup was staggering and what was even more noticeable was the fact the CMs really couldnt give anyone a straight answer” and now she’s claiming that this STAGGERING number of people who couldn’t work the AQR system and choose to get in an very long GR queue at the end of the day were all polite and well mannered and nobody was nasty? I don’t believe it. I suspect people have read that if you try AQR and it doesn’t work to try your luck again and they were trying work the new system.

TrojanUSC

On one hand I think the DAS accommodations were too generous and had become too cumbersome in numbers to continue without changes like this. So many of the people whining just don't like the accommodation being offered - yet it will work for their needs, even if they don't like it.

On the other hand, I don't love some of the people on this forum dismissing concerns from people who find the seemingly different policies from ride to ride to be acceptable. Yes a few minor things will vary from attraction to attraction, but what shouldn't change is how a guest is accommodated. For example, a single mom with an 11 year old son being told that they can be given a return time at Big Thunder so the kid doesn't have to wait alone, while being told at Space Mountain the child should wait alone until merge is seemingly kind of an unnecessary layer of stress. The policy should be more consistent and trained to a "t" with front line CMs. Instead it just seems like it's been a game of telephone from park ops execs to front line managers to the front line CMs.

DisneyHead123

On one hand I think the DAS accommodations were too generous and had become too cumbersome in numbers to continue without changes like this. So many of the people whining just don't like the accommodation being offered - yet it will work for their needs, even if they don't like it.

On the other hand, I don't love some of the people on this forum dismissing concerns from people who find the seemingly different policies from ride to ride to be acceptable. Yes a few minor things will vary from attraction to attraction, but what shouldn't change is how a guest is accommodated. For example, a single mom with an 11 year old son being told that they can be given a return time at Big Thunder so the kid doesn't have to wait alone, while being told at Space Mountain the child should wait alone until merge is seemingly kind of an unnecessary layer of stress. The policy should be more consistent and trained to a "t" with front line CMs. Instead it just seems like it's been a game of telephone from park ops execs to front line managers to the front line CMs.
Is that an actual example or a hypothetical for the purposes of illustration? I thought their park policy was that children had to be 14 to be unattended in parks.

Chi84

Premium Member

Did this type of inconsistency happen?

Splash4eva

Feel free to replace the word angry with dissatisfied or upset if you prefer. Not sure how closely the poster was eavesdropping on the “staggering” number of dissatisfied guests they reported, but “none were nasty” and stating people were just looking for answers doesn’t seem credible unless they hung out there for a long time eavesdropping on all conversations, so I discount their convenient characterization accordingly, based on the actual kinds of abusive behaviors I’ve personally witnessed at GR and the extreme entitlement we’ve seen online since they announced changes were coming.

Her original post stated “the amount of people in there complaining about the new DAS setup was staggering and what was even more noticeable was the fact the CMs really couldnt give anyone a straight answer” and now she’s claiming that this STAGGERING number of people who couldn’t work the AQR system and choose to get in an very long GR queue at the end of the day were all polite and well mannered and nobody was nasty? I don’t believe it. I suspect people have read that if you try AQR and it doesn’t work to try your luck again and they were trying work the new system.
Im caught. Im a divorced dad celebrating fathers day with my daughter in disney for a vacation & decided to make up this story and come to wdwmagic to spread lies. Smh. GR in HS is quite small. I was there for about 10 minutes there were 5 people that were in there during my time and 4 were in their expressing their concern over the new “rules”…. Like mature adults NOT entitled trying to get some clarity on how they need to proceed during their next trip to HS during their own vacation…

flynnibus

Premium Member
but there is nothing wrong with them saying "If you don't think the provided accommodations will work..."
This is where it gets touchy...

If Disney says "if you don't think the provided accommodation will work" - they are setting themselves up for being painted as acknowledging they have not provided a sufficient accommodation. This is where the specifics of the conversation and what you say are important.

Contrast that with if Disney says "if you want more than the program provides, there are other services available such as..." - which sets it up as saying WANT vs NEED and sticking to the line that the offered accommodations address their specific needs.. but acknowledging they might *want* more or make them aware of other programs... you can outline other options they have.

Disney can't open themselves up to telling people the program doesn't meet their NEED as Disney is interpreting it. Disney can acknowledge a guest may WANT more - but needs to provide a consistent message that the offerings provided do meet their obligation.

This is why this area is so dicey - you want to make sure customers are aware of all the options available to them, but you don't want to confuse someone with the notion that a non-ADA program is the accommodation being offered.

Most customers are going to struggle to make that distinction (just as many emotional posters here will as well) - but it is key to the business' message to customers that they are clear they aren't telling customers to buy G+/ILL as the company provided means to address their accessibility obligation. It's simply an option for people that want something above and beyond...

flynnibus

Premium Member
You got an answer, you just don't like it - the answer is "it'll depend on the ride".

When I say plan ahead, I'm not talking about before you even get there, I'm talking about listening to what is being said by Disney on the calls, which from everything I'm seeing is "It will be different depending on the attraction, so talk to the attraction CM". So planning ahead in this context would be asking at every attraction "I can't wait the length of this standby, what do I need to do? And if I need to leave the line, how does that work?"
If it will 'depend on the ride' - then they should be able to answer exactly what that system is at each ride someone asks about on these calls to address the customer's concerns raised. But that doesn't seem to be the case...

Why is it the customer's burden to extract the info - when the whole point of the system is to EASE access. The obfuscation doesn't help customer sentiment and really sets things up for bad customer relations when problems escalate because expectations were not managed and you're dealing with something after the fact.. vs preemptively.

NotTheOne

This is where it gets touchy...

If Disney says "if you don't think the provided accommodation will work" - they are setting themselves up for being painted as acknowledging they have not provided a sufficient accommodation. This is where the specifics of the conversation and what you say are important.

Contrast that with if Disney says "if you want more than the program provides, there are other services available such as..." - which sets it up as saying WANT vs NEED and sticking to the line that the offered accommodations address their specific needs.. but acknowledging they might *want* more or make them aware of other programs... you can outline other options they have.

Disney can't open themselves up to telling people the program doesn't meet their NEED as Disney is interpreting it. Disney can acknowledge a guest may WANT more - but needs to provide a consistent message that the offerings provided do meet their obligation.

This is why this area is so dicey - you want to make sure customers are aware of all the options available to them, but you don't want to confuse someone with the notion that a non-ADA program is the accommodation being offered.

Most customers are going to struggle to make that distinction (just as many emotional posters here will as well) - but it is key to the business' message to customers that they are clear they aren't telling customers to buy G+/ILL as the company provided means to address their accessibility obligation. It's simply an option for people that want something above and beyond...
Good point, and I do get the distinction. Perhaps the conversation should be more along the lines of "if you don't want to use the accommodation because it's splits up your family, then Genie+ is available". That's puts the onus back on the guest to determine whether they want to try the accommodation or not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Good point, and I do get the distinction. Perhaps the conversation should be more along the lines of "if you don't want to use the accommodation because it's splits up your family, then Genie+ is available". That's puts the onus back on the guest to determine whether they want to try the accommodation or not.

Yup - and it's nuances in the conversation like this that are always managled, dropped, or glossed over when someone (especially someone who feels wronged) retells the story. Which is why I've put little faith into the early reports about people reporting Disney was telling people to buy Genie+ as their alternative.

NotTheOne

I agree that Disney rarely does a good job of ensuring that all of the front-line CMs are trained in the all of the nuances of new policy before they roll it out, and there really is no excuse for it.

I don't consider it dismissive to tell people to read and listen to what Disney is saying. AQR, rider switch, & return time have all been mentioned as options for accommodations in lieu of receiving a DAS, and I personally can't see why people are getting so wrapped around the axe handle on which one will be offered at which attraction. Bottom line is if a guest doesn't like any of those options in lieu of DAS, then they need to decide if Disney will still work for them and plan accordingly. We know that AQR will be open to everyone, so at the very least, that will be available. Rider switch sounds like that will be available; return to line is the only one that appears to be strictly limited.

NotTheOne

Im caught. Im a divorced dad celebrating fathers day with my daughter in disney for a vacation & decided to make up this story and come to wdwmagic to spread lies. Smh. GR in HS is quite small. I was there for about 10 minutes there were 5 people that were in there during my time and 4 were in their expressing their concern over the new “rules”…. Like mature adults NOT entitled a h*les trying to get some clarity on how they need to proceed during their next trip to HS during their own vacation…
I don't believe you made anything up, but I think that using the term "staggering" in reference to four people is hyperbole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom