New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Ayla

As someone who thinks DAS was abused to an unsustainable level and the changes were warranted, the one big issue in all of this seems to be a lack of training and consistency about the "replacement" options. People are being told different things from ride to ride. Someone may be able to get a RTQ for themselves, as they're traveling alone with just a minor child, while at another ride they are being told the minor child must wait in the queue while the disabled person waits alone.

Feels like the DAS part of it was well trained and the game plan was ready to go, but they dropped the budget ball on the park ops side.
This, I agree with. There needs to be consistency across park ops about the new procedures. That is on the managers of the individual attractions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My new favorite take is how I have seen on quite a lot of other sites people stating that AQR can't count as an accommodation if everyone can get it. Basically insinuating that if anybody can use it then it doesn't count.
A great example of
303.gif

For anyone reading along and is unsure... said claim is complete bunkus :)

Chi84

Premium Member
As someone who thinks DAS was abused to an unsustainable level and the changes were warranted, the one big issue in all of this seems to be a lack of training and consistency about the "replacement" options. People are being told different things from ride to ride. Someone may be able to get a RTQ for themselves, as they're traveling alone with just a minor child, while at another ride they are being told the minor child must wait in the queue while the disabled person waits alone.

Feels like the DAS part of it was well trained and the game plan was ready to go, but they dropped the budget ball on the park ops side.
I wonder if some of that isn't based on different queuing systems for different rides. The part about the "minor" doesn't really bother me since minor children 14 and over can get into the parks by themselves. I doubt Disney is having 5-year-olds stand in lines by themselves. (I'll save you the trouble of finding an example of that and tell you right now I won't believe it.)

The ADA requires equal access but does not require that the business remove all difficulty or discomfort. If people want their parties together while standing in every line (or waiting for each ride) as well on the actual ride, there is always Genie+/ILLs.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Breaking News - Elevators are no longer a valid means to provide ADA compliant accessibility since it was discovered non-disabled people were using the elevators... Facebook Group demands exclusive personal lifting devices... News at 11

(Complete with video of someone screaming 'I know my rights!') :D

Fido Chuckwagon

Rider switch is a choice and has nothing to do with disabilities. And then there is the whole human decency aspect to this. Disney has built their reputation on being friendly to those with disabilities, that is why so many go to the Disney parks when they wouldn't be able to go elsewhere. And I don't know how anyone can argue that not separating disabled people from their family is an "entitlement".
Disney has a lot of disabled guests because they made it possible for those with disabilities to tour halfway "normal".
Just realized I never responded to this. I don't think it's helpful to indicate that there is a lack of "human decency" in those who are suggesting an alternative accommodation for a disability. If there are posters who have posted that the disabled just shouldn't come to WDW at all, or if WDW itself suggested that, then I'd agree that kind of comment would show a lack of human decency. But a different accommodation that is less disruptive to overall park operations? Calling that a "lack of human decency" is pretty hyperbolic in my opinion.

TrainsOfDisney

But a different accommodation that is less disruptive to overall park operations? Calling that a "lack of human decency" is pretty hyperbolic in my opinion.
It depends on what the “different accommodation” is and how it can be used.

I’m personally tired of the whole “DAS was causing disruptions to park operations” WDW has made such a mess of park operations by cutting live entertainment and park hours but yet this is supposed to be some noble effort? Eh, I’m not buying it.

Purduevian

It depends on what the “different accommodation” is and how it can be used.

I’m personally tired of the whole “DAS was causing disruptions to park operations” WDW has made such a mess of park operations by cutting live entertainment and park hours but yet this is supposed to be some noble effort? Eh, I’m not buying it.
Just to clarify you do not believe that DAS users were taking up significantly disproportion amount of ride capacity on high profile rides?

TrainsOfDisney

Just to clarify you do not believe that DAS users were taking up significantly disproportion amount of ride capacity on high profile rides?
Correct. The numbers from Disney during the GAC case were for a family ride when DHS only had 1 family ride. It’s really unfair to use them as an example.

Drdcm

I actually think it’s a legitimate positive that that particular poster changed her mindset and point of view. She went from advocating (in that post I linked) for the idea that disabled people shouldn’t even go to Disney World to being one of their biggest defenders in this thread. That’s what I mean when I say everyone should give this new system a chance and not assume the worst of the people who are disagreeing with you in this thread.

Edit: Here's the quote in question:

Source: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/page-34#post-5727553

A mentioned, that same poster is now one of the biggest defenders of the disabled in this thread, so I think views on this have definitely softened over time, and what is being debated in this thread is really just around the edges. Everyone agrees there needs to be accommodations for the disabled to be able to experience WDW. We are only disagreeing on what those accommodations look like. People should not assume the worst of the people they are discussing this with in this thread.
Yeah I get it. I wasn’t being critical of anyone.

I do think it’s a good example of not really grasping the degree of suffering many people encounter until you’re put in that position yourself.

I do a lot of work and school accommodation recommendations. I also help with evaluations to evaluate the degree of impairment at the VA for service connection (essentially disability benefits with a few extra caveats). I’ve learned that it’s really hard to pin people down with a static accommodation because there are fluctuations within a single person depending on the circumstances. That makes “reasonable” accommodations very very difficult because it then becomes dependent on time, day, mood, etc… that’s why there are so many people coming up with “what if situations” in the forum of people that can neither sit nor stand in line.

One anecdote I will contribute is that professionally I come across way more people trying to fake cognitive/psych disabilities than other types of physical issues - chronic pain is up there too. I would bet money that’s the case at Disney and am interested to see how this plays out.

Angel Ariel

One anecdote I will contribute is that professionally I come across way more people trying to fake cognitive/psych disabilities than other types of physical issues - chronic pain is up there too. I would bet money that’s the case at Disney and am interested to see how this plays out.
That's infuriating, but also sadly unsurprising. Issues that can be easily observed/verified are harder to fake than ones that are "invisible."

I suppose one benefit to these unending back and forth and what if conversations in these threads is it's making me pay more attention to exactly how DD struggles every day, esp with waiting. She had a 2.5 hr medical appt today - just a normal specialty follow-up, and I felt like I'd finished a marathon by the time we got home. It's easy to downplay/overlook how difficult things are when they're your daily reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom