New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

I agree but it’s difficult to get everyone on the same wavelength in a long thread where new people come in and ask questions about subjects covered ad nauseam.

Not everyone wants to accept the changes and they ask why Disney is denying DAS to people with legitimate disabilities who previously qualified instead of “stopping the abuse.” Then it all starts over.
I agree with you as well, and I get it's a long thread - and I have other thoughts, but feel this is getting to a point a mod would step in (talking about posts not the topic), so I'm being like Elsa ;)

Chi84

Premium Member
My new favorite take is how I have seen on quite a lot of other sites people stating that AQR can't count as an accommodation if everyone can get it. Basically insinuating that if anybody can use it then it doesn't count.
Was there any reasoning attached to that conclusion?

TrojanUSC

As someone who thinks DAS was abused to an unsustainable level and the changes were warranted, the one big issue in all of this seems to be a lack of training and consistency about the "replacement" options. People are being told different things from ride to ride. Someone may be able to get a RTQ for themselves, as they're traveling alone with just a minor child, while at another ride they are being told the minor child must wait in the queue while the disabled person waits alone.

Feels like the DAS part of it was well trained and the game plan was ready to go, but they dropped the budget ball on the park ops side.

KrzyKtty

Was there any reasoning attached to that conclusion?
I think more their own personal feelings on the matter. Mostly the reasoning seemed to be if it was an accommodation offered to everyone , it wasn't really an accommodation for a disability, just an everyday thing.

C33Mom

I think more their own personal feelings on the matter. Mostly the reasoning seemed to be if it was an accommodation offered to everyone , it wasn't really an accommodation for a disability, just an everyday thing.
It seems to be a sense of entitlement that Disney (and truly other guests without a virtual wait option, who actually bear the costs) owe them some sort of special bonus because of their condition, beyond the ability to access the ride (and Disney is even making it possible for us to ride *with our families* via AQR, we are only separating for part of the line). The idea that it’s not an accommodation if it can be used by anyone who needs it is so absurd. Nobody would say that a handicap ramp isn’t the appropriate accommodation if it can be used by able bodied people as well (without impacting its use by the people in wheelchairs)—but that’s basically what this argument boils down to.

Fido Chuckwagon

Feels like the DAS part of it was well trained and the game plan was ready to go, but they dropped the budget ball on the park ops side.
The system has been in place for 14 days. I think everyone needs to give them a little bit of time. There are always growing pains. Also, we’re only hearing the worst of potentially exaggerated reports from extremely disgruntled people that are very unhappy that they lost their preferred accommodation and have to make do with something that is less. Let’s give it some time and see if gsat scores actually drop. I suspect most people will learn to use the new accommodations the same way they did when GAC changed to DAS and will still have a wonderful time at WDW.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

The ADA only requires that those with disabilities be given equal access. There’s no requirement that the accommodation be unique to them, or give them some sort of advantage over regular users of a business.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

I’ve been rereading the old GAC thread to remember how that played out. It’s striking how people had the exact same concerns and everything ended up working out fine. People should take heart from that, including those that no longer have DAS but still will be able to enjoy Disney with other accommodations.

I think everyone should also take heart that attitudes around this have evolved so much since 2013 for the better. I have seen nobody in this thread who has advocated for a complete abolition of disability accommodations, especially for those with severe developmental disabilities (for whom the DAS system is now designed for, and for whom no other accommodation can really work). I contrast that with some of the views that were common in the original DAS thread. Here’s an example:

The more people that come out on social media that have said they used GAC for all these stupid non legitimate reasons and are now complaining how they no longer have their FOTL pass, the more angry I get. I have been to WDW over 27 times(lost count), in the last 16 years. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to go to my happy place, gladly I might add. But to think that all of these people went and did not have to wait for anything, while my family and I waited our turn, and then they are now complaining about it, really ticks me off. Shame on all of those people!!!!
Source: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/post-5727553

I really encourage everyone curious to read that thread and look at the difference between then and now. We’ve come a long way in 11 years. Now, everyone in this thread recognizes that there needs to be some kind of accommodations so everyone, including the disabled, can enjoy the parks. The only disagreement is about how those accommodations should work. I’ve seen nobody advocate that those with severe developmental disabilities should be excluded from DAS. Everyone should take heart from that.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

The ADA only requires that those with disabilities be given equal access. There’s no requirement that the accommodation be unique to them, or give them some sort of advantage over regular users of a business. The sheer entitlement on display with this type of argument (not directing this at you specifically) is unbelievable.
I agree, whole heartedly, which is why I thought the whole thing was silly. But there is also no arguing with them because then they start flinging ADA clauses at me.

Dranth

And everyone that can wait in line does. So you are saying that the only people that are welcome at the parks are those with no health issues that can wait in line? Your statement is exactly why we need the ADA. SMH
That is what you took away from that?

You said Walt didn't want to separate families in an attempt to prove that Disney only letting a caretaker and the disabled person leave the line is somehow morally objectionable while ignoring that Walt didn't accommodate disabled people from the get-go. He didn't separate families because if you were disabled to the point you couldn't wait in line, you just didn't get to ride. So no, I don't think only people with no health issues are welcome at the park, I would be excluding myself if I did, but by your own definition Walt didn't.

People need to stop taking everything as a personal attack. MOST people on here are making a very simple point. DAS is not needed for EVERY instance of every disability. Disney is providing viable alternatives and they are under no obligation to simply hand out DAS to anyone and everyone, which is what they had to do under the old system.

Sure, they still need to tweak things to handle extreme/edge cases so no one gets left out but overall, the system needed to change.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I’ve been rereading the old GAC thread to remember how that played out. It’s striking how people had the exact same concerns and everything ended up working out fine. People should take heart from that, including those that no longer have DAS but still will be able to enjoy Disney with other accommodations.

I think everyone should also take heart that attitudes around this have evolved so much since 2013 for the better. I have seen nobody in this thread who has advocated for a complete abolition of disability accommodations, especially for those with severe developmental disabilities (for whom the DAS system is now designed for, and for whom no other accommodation can really work). I contrast that with some of the views that were common in the original DAS thread. Here’s an example:

Source: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/post-5727553

I really encourage everyone curious to read that thread and look at the difference between then and now. We’ve come a long way in 11 years. Now, everyone in this thread recognizes that there needs to be some kind of accommodations so everyone, including the disabled, can enjoy the parks. The only disagreement is about how those accommodations should work. I’ve seen nobody advocate that those with severe developmental disabilities should be excluded from DAS. Everyone should take heart from that.
you missed a couple of cleanups;) and I have no wish to ever see some of the thoughts expressed ever again and it wasn't only DAS they wanted some excluded from

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, whole heartedly, which is why I thought the whole thing was silly. But there is also no arguing with them because then they start flinging ADA clauses at me.
Where is this again. Do you remember which clauses?

Last edited:

Drdcm

Interest contrast between the opinions that specific poster you just linked up has now compared to 10 years ago…
It’s almost like people pick a side they think they will benefit from… who would have thought.

That being said. We are all allowed to change our minds. We are never beholden to or original mindset.

Fido Chuckwagon

That being said. We are all allowed to change our minds. We are never beholden to or original mindset.
I actually think it’s a legitimate positive that that particular poster changed her mindset and point of view. She went from advocating (in that post I linked) for the idea that disabled people shouldn’t even go to Disney World to being one of their biggest defenders in this thread. That’s what I mean when I say everyone should give this new system a chance and not assume the worst of the people who are disagreeing with you in this thread.

Edit: Here's the quote in question:
If that will not work for your family either just don't go on as many rides as you would like(like many of us have to do) or find someplace else to have a vacation. This is just too out of control.
Source: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/page-34#post-5727553

A mentioned, that same poster is now one of the biggest defenders of the disabled in this thread, so I think views on this have definitely softened over time, and what is being debated in this thread is really just around the edges. Everyone agrees there needs to be accommodations for the disabled to be able to experience WDW. We are only disagreeing on what those accommodations look like. People should not assume the worst of the people they are discussing this with in this thread.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom